Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM

421 posts, read 556,335 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of people sharing what is dissatisfying about where they live. I'm one of them
But my family is looking to relocate and reading so much negative is bringing me down. So...

Where do you live? What do you love about it?

I'll start. I live in Houston, tx. I love the museums and that there is always something to do if I want to. I like the restaurants, the diversity, and that we have a major air port so we can easily fly to anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 11:16 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Jacksonville - It's got tons of awesome waterfronts (Atlantic Ocean, St Johns River, Intracoastal Waterway, etc) cheap real estate, low COL, advantageous geographic location as a former railroad hub, the intersection of two major interstates (I-10 and I-95) and a port, you can get quasi-urban living (still working on truly urban options) OR the beach lifestyle that's among the most affordable in the country. But mostly I just live it cause it's my hometown.

Washington DC - (Sadly in two days I will be removing this city from my "current locations" list) Love the young, intellectual vibe. Love the urban lifestyle. Love the delicious food. Love the energy.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,621 times
Sacramento - I like how it cools down at night with the delta breeze. Well, it usually cools off at night, sometimes it's still a hot mess even after sunset. There are no big natural disasters to be wary of, but we're also in a serious drought.

I like that we have a lot of racial diversity(I work in elk grove, so the diversity is much more obvious there); unfortunately, it's also a challenge when people won't learn english, and there are language barriers.

Our agriculture is neat; the food is grown around here, so it's fresh...somewhat fresh.

We live within driving distance to the mountains and beach, but it's also a long drive to both places.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:44 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Where I live, I'm only an hour from metro Atlanta, an hour from the north Georgia mountains, and an hour from Lakes Hartwell, Lanier and Oconee. It's no wonder this has become the fastest-growing area in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta.

Also, while no place in Georgia is immune from severe weather, there is a lower probability of tornadoes here. In Georgia, the probability of tornadoes decreases from north to south and west to east. Ironically, the north Georgia mountains are more tornado-prone than where I live.

And between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, I live in the epicenter of Georgia football country. In fact, fall in north Georgia is wonderful, with sunny skies, high temperatures in the 70s and low temperatures in the 50s. Perfect for tailgating.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I live in Tyler, in northeast Texas, and here's what I love about it!

I love our neighborhood - quiet, great place to walk in the evenings, and it's diverse which is important to me.

I love the green, rolling countryside which surrounds us - hayfields and pastures with longhorn cattle grazing in them and lots of ponds and lakes and rivers. We also have a lot of oak trees around here.

I love the funkiness of some of the artist and antiques enclaves around here, scattered between here and Dallas. Lots of fun shopping.

I love the "prettiness" of my small city.

I love the mild winters and beautiful springs and falls. Summer can be brutal but that's what AC is for.

I love the storms in the spring and summer. They're often pretty spectacular. I LOVE a good thunderstorm!

I love the availability of good, natural, organic foods - we have a lot of options and that's important to me.

I love the friendliness of the people.

I love Tex Mex food and boy do we have fabulous options here!

I also love Cajun food and being this close to the Louisiana state line, we have a lot of that around as well.

I love being close enough to Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and Houston to enjoy their amenities...without having to actually live in any of them.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:22 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I live in Fairfield County, CT. The only good thing about this place is that there are plenty of high paying jobs in my field. And it leans liberal, politically. Houses are nice, too, although I can't afford one. Everything else sucks BIG TIME.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Southeast Michigan:

I love the friendly, down to earth people, the safety and comfort of living in a small town with negligible crime, the wide, open spaces, how you can see for miles across the corn/wheat/bean fields due to the flat terrain, how lush and green everything is in the summer and how moderate our summers are weather wise, how relatively uncrowded it is here as compared to other parts of the country that I have visited, the four seasons, our spectacular autumns, beautiful yet affordable housing, and high wages as compared to many other parts of the country. Oh, and the proximity to the gorgeous Great Lakes and a zillion inland lakes, not to mention being only a matter of hours from some of the greatest cities in the country.

Seriously, this is a great place to live!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Columbia, South Carolina: the greenery; the people; the laid-back, easy pace; the sustainable growth; the rivers, lakes, streams and ponds; the river greenways; the softly rolling terrain; the thriving arts scene; Gamecock sports; new South cuisine; old South cuisine; the charm; the blending of the new with the old; local stores; the capitol grounds; the downtown districts; etc., etc., etc.; and the fact that it's home, two hours from the mountains and two hours from the coast.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Where I live, I'm only an hour from metro Atlanta, an hour from the north Georgia mountains, and an hour from Lakes Hartwell, Lanier and Oconee. It's no wonder this has become the fastest-growing area in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta.

Also, while no place in Georgia is immune from severe weather, there is a lower probability of tornadoes here. In Georgia, the probability of tornadoes decreases from north to south and west to east. Ironically, the north Georgia mountains are more tornado-prone than where I live.

And between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, I live in the epicenter of Georgia football country. In fact, fall in north Georgia is wonderful, with sunny skies, high temperatures in the 70s and low temperatures in the 50s. Perfect for tailgating.
How common are tornadoes in the Atlanta area?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:37 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
NYC the 24/7 public transportation as I don't like driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.