Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:01 PM

92 posts, read 235,226 times

Advertisements

I've been in Chicago since October of 2012, tying to take care of some personal business. I just cannot catch a break here.

I have zero income and cannot find suitable work. I live right by the campus of University of Chicago, and a few blocks from the Obama residence so I'm comfortable and safe for the most part, but getting a job is such a bureaucratic process it seems.

I've worked with two non-profit organizations that have promised assistance with career coaches and contacts that put me in front of hiring employers but all I got was lies and run-around. I literally had my resume criticized and belittled by a career coach at Illinois WorkNet to the point that I now feel like I'm making a fool out of myself trying to seek any further opportunities and better myself.

At one organization, not only did I copy my certification of completion for a recent online program in health IT, I went in repeatedly to view their job boards while clean-shaven, and dressed business casual in an effort to demonstrate job readiness. I escalated my concerns of being disregarded to the Director who did the exact same thing; made promises that she didn't honor.

I've gone to other cities where it seemed I just transitioned so much easier. Is Chicago that tough to break into now? Is it the economy?

I was planning to put money away and relocate eventually back across the country, but I can't wait any longer. The most I can do here is get a temp job now and then, and scrape some money together to move. I feel the need to make an easier move to a nearby Midwestern town that isn't so complicated and corrupt.

Is Ohio better employment outlook? I prefer the seasons but would like a less harsh winter. Should I consider Kentucky? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM

268 posts, read 430,611 times
Can't you just look on CareerBuilder and other job sites and apply for jobs? Not sure why you need to go through a non-profit.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
Can't you just look on CareerBuilder and other job sites and apply for jobs? Not sure why you need to go through a non-profit.
Gosh, I'm way beyond CareerBuilder. Those jobs are scams anyway. In addition to that I've tried Indeed, Craigslist, Monster, temporary staffing services, recruiting firms, LinkedIn. Trust me, I'm a diligent job hunter.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbust View Post
At one organization, not only did I copy my certification of completion for a recent online program in health IT, I went in repeatedly to view their job boards while clean-shaven, and dressed business casual in an effort to demonstrate job readiness. I escalated my concerns of being disregarded to the Director who did the exact same thing; made promises that she didn't honor.

I have no idea what this means, but it sounds unsettling.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Well what's your field? I've known tons of people who came to Chicago recently through friends or coworkers at my company and everyone found jobs easily. White collar is very easy to get in Chicago, or healthcare, but I know the blue collar jobs are going away and it's much more difficult. Most of the reason why the city is split now between the "new" city and the "old" city in terms of poverty and the economy.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 PM

I have experience as an office coordinator, either in healthcare or IT support. I've been writing on the side but that has almost starved me. I've decided to go back to school though for an associates in Cancer Information Management and focus on being certified as a Cancer Tumor Register.

The recruiters and friends that I've networked with have come up with a few things that I'm following through with. That's the key I'm finding, you have to know someone here to help you get ahead.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have no idea what this means, but it sounds unsettling.
It means although I demonstrated that I was productive/job worthy, and willing to put forth effort the career coaches at some of these community organizations which have federal funds allocated to assist job searchers don't really assist very much.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM

308 posts, read 506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbust View Post
I have experience as an office coordinator, either in healthcare or IT support. I've been writing on the side but that has almost starved me. I've decided to go back to school though for an associates in Cancer Information Management and focus on being certified as a Cancer Tumor Register.

The recruiters and friends that I've networked with have come up with a few things that I'm following through with. That's the key I'm finding, you have to know someone here to help you get ahead.
It's like that everywhere bro. I applied to a job out of state recently who originally told me they don't consider out of state applicants but then I talked to a friend who works there and I got an interview. Many people have the same sort of story.

Try indeed.com. There are plenty of good places for you to move and the majority of US cities are going to be cheaper than Chicago.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
It's like that everywhere bro. I applied to a job out of state recently who originally told me they don't consider out of state applicants but then I talked to a friend who works there and I got an interview. Many people have the same sort of story.

Try indeed.com. There are plenty of good places for you to move and the majority of US cities are going to be cheaper than Chicago.
Thanks.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Chicago can be very competitive for certain fields, such as accounting. For a metropolitan area of its size, it lacks in accounting jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.