Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

One thing I'm so happy about is that our City Hall was never torn down.

THANK GOODNESS THIS NEVER HAPPENED: City Hall Demolition | Philadelphia Planeto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
One thing I'm so happy about is that our City Hall was never torn down.

THANK GOODNESS THIS NEVER HAPPENED: City Hall Demolition | Philadelphia Planeto
If that ever happened, then Philadelphia would more than likely have ended up with some brutalist turd for a city hall like Boston.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Philly was on a downward spiral from the 70s into the 80s and was dangerously sliding toward a tipping point of no return without some sort of impactful intervention. That intervention was the establishment of the Center City District in the early 90s. While there are many players to credit for the restoration of Philly into a vital and vibrant city, I credit the the efforts of CCD with making Center City the cultural, entertainment, dining, retail and residential hub it is today.

Center City District- 20 Years of Downtown Transformation - YouTube

Old 07-24-2014, 03:05 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Impressive work done in Ft. Worth! I didn't know that existed.
If you watched ESPN's coverage during Super Bowl XLV and this past Final Four, then you saw us.

(P.S., it doesn't always ice up and rain down here. It seems like when ESPN does something in Fort Worth, the weather doesn't want to cooperate. Maybe it's a sign...?)

Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
For Downtown DC:

The construction of the Verizon Center (formerly MCI Center) in Chinatown.

Building a more modernly efficient and spacious convention center.

CityCenterDC (now completed and residential and commercial tenants are moving in).
A Conrad hotel coming to Downtown at the CityCenterDC location.

Shakespeare Theater Company (local theater franchise that's been around since 1986 but whose world class performances have done many great wonders for Downtown).

Getting the Trumps to restore and repurpose the Old Post Office Pavilion into a Trump hotel with over 270 rooms and suites, the largest hotel ballroom in the DC area, top quality restaurants with celebrity chefs, and luxury boutique shops (ladies, definitely expect an Ivanka Trump brand among them ). The observation room inside the 300+ tower of the Old Post Office building will still be operational and open to the public.

Right now, I'm hoping that Downtown DC will try to attract a nice Apple Store (bigger than the Georgetown location) as well as Uniqlo (it was considering CCDC but pulled out, but it still seems to be interested in DC), and it would be so nice if DTDC can get some high quality department stores (only one I think that's there is Sak's Fifth Ave). DTDC should try to lure Macy's, Nordstrom, CityTarget, and TopShop/TopMan. And since they're expanding beyond the NYC area and are about to test the waters in Philly, it would also be great if Century 21 enters the DMV market via Downtown as well.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If you watched ESPN's coverage during Super Bowl XLV and this past Final Four, then you saw us.

(P.S., it doesn't always ice up and rain down here. It seems like when ESPN does something in Fort Worth, the weather doesn't want to cooperate. Maybe it's a sign...?)
I don't watch any sports lol! But it happens here in Denver too. A football game in October and it snows, so the rest of the country thinks it keeps on snowing for the following 6 months, building up multiple feet of snow.

I've only been in downtown Ft. Worth once, and that was probably 20 years ago.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't watch any sports lol! But it happens here in Denver too. A football game in October and it snows, so the rest of the country thinks it keeps on snowing for the following 6 months, building up multiple feet of snow.

I've only been in downtown Ft. Worth once, and that was probably 20 years ago.
Denver weather seems weird. Lots of snow in October and November; no snow in December, January and February; and lots of snow in March and April.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:35 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default The SMARTEST decision your city's downtown area ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I asked this question yesterday somewhere else, but I thought it would be a good topic.

When it comes to downtown, what was the smartest decision your city ever made?

For Fort Worth, it was Sundance Square. It's in the heart of downtown and it's our most attractive district and arguably, best attraction.

For Downtown Manhattan, I would say it was Battery Park.

After the Revolution they took fort and "batteries" that were at the southern tip of Manhattan Island and gradually expanded them into Battery Park.

Battery Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Battery Conservancy (more photos and details)

Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Downtown areas are nothing more than land and buildings, they can not make decisions.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Downtown areas are nothing more than land and buildings, they can not make decisions.
It's also a neighborhood filled with people who make it what it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.