U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,143,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I would say yes and no.

Yes, someone from say California might be impressed by the green abundance of Connecticut while the guy from Connecticut will be impressed by the grand 10,000 foot mountains of California.

But also no because while some parts of California have their own extensive greenery, Connecticut does not have any 10,000 foot mountains. So it is not exactly equal.
So are you saying that in absolute terms, mountains are more beautiful than flat land? Not that I disagree or anything...just asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 AM

3,967 posts, read 3,502,237 times
Quote:
But also no because while some parts of California have their own extensive greenery, Connecticut does not have any 10,000 foot mountains. So it is not exactly equal.
The thing about California is that it covers so much land area it is able to be far more diverse than a place like CT which isn't the size of some of CA's counties. Tis an unfair comparison me thinks.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 AM

7,140 posts, read 9,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So are you saying that in absolute terms, mountains are more beautiful than flat land? Not that I disagree or anything...just asking.
My opinion of course but yes. Quite easily IMHO.

Even the little hills here on Long Island, the 200 to 400' hills help make the North Shore more attractive in general then the mostly flat South Shore. Although the South Shore does have the better beaches.

But that was not really my point. What I was trying to say is that while in general Connecticut is a lot more green then say California - CA does have its own greenery. While at the same time California has things like giant 10,000' mountains, ocean cliffs and deserts which Connecticut does not have. So I think the Connecticut Yankee is more likely to be impressed by California then the Californian is to be impressed by Connecticut.

Does that make more sense?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM

7,140 posts, read 9,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The thing about California is that it covers so much land area it is able to be far more diverse than a place like CT which isn't the size of some of CA's counties. Tis an unfair comparison me thinks.
Well that is a factor but the truth is that not just California but all the Western states, have more dramatic scenery then much of the rest of the country. So I think someone from the Northeast, the South or the Midwest is more likely to be impressed by traveling to the West then vice versa.

I say more likely because every person is different and of course the other 3 regions have their own things that stand out.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

3,967 posts, read 3,502,237 times
Quote:
Well that is a factor but the truth is that not just California but all the Western states, have more dramatic scenery then much of the rest of the country. So I think someone from the Northeast, the South or the Midwest is more likely to be impressed by traveling to the West then vice versa.

I say more likely because every person is different and of course the other 3 regions have their own things that stand out.
You're right, the beauty of the western states is the landscape. The beauty of the eastern states lies more in the lush greenery. Don't want to start a debate about how beautiful some places in the east are, cause duh.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,143,519 times
Quote:
My opinion of course but yes. Quite easily IMHO.

Even the little hills here on Long Island, the 200 to 400' hills help make the North Shore more attractive in general then the mostly flat South Shore. Although the South Shore does have the better beaches.

But that was not really my point. What I was trying to say is that while in general Connecticut is a lot more green then say California - CA does have its own greenery. While at the same time California has things like giant 10,000' mountains, ocean cliffs and deserts which Connecticut does not have. So I think the Connecticut Yankee is more likely to be impressed by California then the Californian is to be impressed by Connecticut.

Does that make more sense?
Can't disagree with you there.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 AM

17,307 posts, read 19,585,657 times
People are generally very impressed by tall mountains. That is really the holy grail of scenery all over the world.

Of course, if you add waterfalls, forests, glaciers, volcanoes and things like that to it, then that makes it even better.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,062,418 times
It depends on the person.

I'm the kind of person who likes all scenery, everywhere, and I never get tired of it. I'm just a visual person who loves geography.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM

605 posts, read 1,237,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes mountains are more beautiful.

Look at most cultures, or ancient civilzations around the world. Many times they would revere certain mountain areas, and look at them with awe. Even in our own culture (Judeo-Christian), you see examples from the bible where Prophets, and other figures went to mountain/wilderness areas to hear from God.

Look at the pictures in National Geographic, or paintings that artist draw, or stories people tell.

I think if you are living in a flat area (which I did at one time), and moved to an area that is heavily forested, or mountainous you will be more impressed. One of the other posters stated it quite well. Tall mountains are the holy grail of scenery.

I'm not saying that flat areas do not have their own type of beauty. But when people think of the Great National Parks, and Provinchal Parks, they often think of Mountains combined with water, and forests.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,464,153 times
I once brought a native Southern Californian to Illinois. He was stunned by the beauty of the completely flat terrain, how he could see so many miles in the distance and watch storms approaching. He was also amazed at seeing black soil (!) and prairies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.