U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,429 times

Advertisements

Factually, Portland does not have many more homeless people than other cities in the U.S., in fact, some rankings don't even have it in the top ten.

Homelessness in the United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- Situations in specific U.S. cities and states

Top 10 U.S. Cities With A High Homelessness Rate -- Ranker.com

Quote:
This is a fact-based list of the top ten U.S. cities with a high homelessness rate, as ranked by experts at The National Alliance To End Homelessness, which also factors in their surrounding metropolitan areas.

The national average of the rate of homelessness is 21 people for every 10,000. The average rate for the cities on this list is a little above 46 people for every 10,000. And as you can see, California has more large metropolitan areas with a homelessness rate above the national average on this top ten list than any other state.
1. Tampa, FL
2. New Orleans, LA
3. Fresno, CA
4. Las Vegas, NV
5. Honolulu, HI
6. Los Angeles, CA
7. San Jose, CA
8. Seattle, WA
9. Stockton, CA
10. Springfield, MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM

656 posts, read 1,792,831 times
From the experience of living there for a few years all I can say is that it is like every other place I've lived in that there are good and bad things that stand out and a lot of average things. In the end it was the constant gray gloom that drove me out of PDX. I like sunshine. I do miss the public transport system though, it is awesome.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Factually, Portland does not have many more homeless people than other cities in the U.S., in fact, some rankings don't even have it in the top ten.

Homelessness in the United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- Situations in specific U.S. cities and states

Top 10 U.S. Cities With A High Homelessness Rate -- Ranker.com

1. Tampa, FL
2. New Orleans, LA
3. Fresno, CA
4. Las Vegas, NV
5. Honolulu, HI
6. Los Angeles, CA
7. San Jose, CA
8. Seattle, WA
9. Stockton, CA
10. Springfield, MA
Then why does it seem so visible and palpable in Portland? Are the panhandlers more aggressive there? Is it a disproportionate rate of homeless youth? I guess also Portland's downtown is pretty contained with a higher concentration where as in LA or Las Vegas homeless could be roaming around or camping out in a more spread out area around the city.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Then why does it seem so visible and palpable in Portland? Are the panhandlers more aggressive there? Is it a disproportionate rate of homeless youth? I guess also Portland's downtown is pretty contained with a higher concentration where as in LA or Las Vegas homeless could be roaming around or camping out in a more spread out area around the city.
It could be those things, but what I think it actually is, is that people hear stereotypes about homeless people in Portland. They then go to Portland, see a few homeless people and think the stereotype of them having more homeless people than most other cities is true.

I think it is mostly a self-fulfilling prophecy type scenario. A lot of people like to pretend that Portland has the most homeless people, especially the haters. Truth is, it is a stereotype, and Portland isn't even in the top 10 for most homeless people according to most sources.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It could be those things, but what I think it actually is, is that people hear stereotypes about homeless people in Portland. They then go to Portland, see a few homeless people and think the stereotype of them having more homeless people than most other cities is true.

I think it is mostly a self-fulfilling prophecy type scenario. A lot of people like to pretend that Portland has the most homeless people, especially the haters. Truth is, it is a stereotype, and Portland isn't even in the top 10 for most homeless people according to most sources.
I'll agree that the "Portland is so overrated and wannabe hipster" lines have really taken on a life of its own and has created a monster here on C-D threads. I guess there is a sector here that needs a hipster whipping boy to scapegoat. There is the whole hipster youth stereotype, but I think a lot of people tend to forget what it's like to be age 21-25 and for many Portland keeps a lot people who want to live an eclectic life pretty happy and busy. I lived in Seattle in the 2000's age 22-27 and visited Portland frequently so I understand its appeal. It offers a lot of characteristics not found in other cities, especially mid-sized US cities.

Portland has one of the best walkable cores for a mid sized city in this country. The parks are stellar, the view from the gardens at Washington Park looking out at the city tucked away in a dense evergreen forest with Mt. Hood in the distance is stunning. Mt. Hood is the perfect looking mountain, kind of like the mountain in the opening sequence of a Paramount Pictures film. City planners did a nice job with their waterfront parks along the river as well. The city and metro area has excellent light rail coverage for a metro of its size.

There really is no getting around the fact that Portland's homeless problem is very visible. But it doesn't necessarily seem overwhelming as to detract from having fun at a microbrew, shopping, or dining out in downtown Portland. The city isn't for everyone and I don't think I'd want to be subjected to the Pacific NW climate again. However there is definitely a very attainable quality of life there if one ends up with the right gig.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I'll agree that the "Portland is so overrated and wannabe hipster" lines have really taken on a life of its own and created a monster here on C-D threads. I guess there is a sector here that needs a hipster whipping boy to scapegoat. There is the whole hipster youth stereotype, but I think a lot of people tend to forget what it's like to be age 21-25 and for many Portland keeps a lot people who want to live an eclectic life pretty happy and busy. I lived in Seattle in the 2000's age 22-27 and visited Portland frequently so I understand its appeal. It offers a lot of characteristics not found in other cities, especially mid-sized US cities.

Portland has one of the best walkable cores for a mid sized city in this country. The parks are stellar, the view from the gardens at Washington Park looking out at the city tucked away in a dense evergreen forest with Mt. Hood in the distance is stunning. Mt. Hood is the perfect looking mountain, kind of like the mountain in the opening sequence of a Paramount Pictures film. City planners did a nice job with their waterfront parks along the river as well. The city and metro area has excellent light rail coverage for a metro of its size.

There really is no getting around the fact that Portland's homeless problem is very visible. But it doesn't necessarily seem overwhelming as to detract from having fun at a microbrew, shopping, or dining out in downtown Portland. The city isn't for everyone and I don't think I'd want to be subjected to the Pacific NW climate. However there is definitely a very attainable quality of life there if one ends up with the right gig.
Yeah, but what I am saying is, there are cities where homeless people are more common and just as visible, but people ignore them because they haven't heard stereotypes about homelessness in that city.

When I go downtown in Denver, I literally step over sleeping homeless people when getting into bar or waiting in line for food. They are extremely visible... and according to some sources, more common than in Portland.

It is something that every major city has. People just like to pretend it is worse there because it allows them to talk crap on the city, even though statistically, it is no worse than other major cities.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:59 PM

I've visited both Portland and Denver many times. I've been panhandled a lot more in Portland. I've seen homeless people around Denver in LoDo and near stoplights off freeway ramps, but I've rarely been shaken down for change there. Perhaps that makes the homeless problem less impressionable, idk. Though I think Seattle seems worse than both, but after living there for 5 years it was an everyday reality. Naturally having lived there I noticed it more.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,916,791 times
Portland is a really progressive city and gorgeous scenery!!!!!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I've visited both Portland and Denver many times. I've been panhandled a lot more in Portland. I've seen homeless people around Denver in LoDo and near stoplights off freeway ramps, but I've rarely been shaken down for change there. Though I think Seattle seems worse than both, but after living there for 5 years it was an everyday reality. Naturally having lived there I noticed it more.
You are lucky.

I get approached by homeless people in Denver quite routinely. I wasn't approached by a single panhandler at all the weekend I was in Portland to visit. I think it just depends.

I also get approached constantly by broke musicians in downtown Denver trying to peddle their CD's. I have had people give me a CD, borderline force it upon me, and then tell me I owe them money for it. That also never happened to me in Portland.

Again, I think Portland is shockingly average as far as homeless people go. I just think people blow it out of proportion because they have heard the stereotype before.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 PM

555 posts, read 662,141 times
Xander:
The bum problem in Portland is bad. The difference is unlike Denver or Seattle, in Portland they seem to have colonized the whole Downtown, and that's where you'll find them. Denver's bum problem is miniscule compared to Seattle, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or