U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 04:58 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,525,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah, but what I am saying is, there are cities where homeless people are more common and just as visible, but people ignore them because they haven't heard stereotypes about homelessness in that city.

When I go downtown in Denver, I literally step over sleeping homeless people when getting into bar or waiting in line for food. They are extremely visible... and according to some sources, more common than in Portland.

It is something that every major city has. People just like to pretend it is worse there because it allows them to talk crap on the city, even though statistically, it is no worse than other major cities.
They're very present on East Burnside, and that's the street that a lot of people pass through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:29 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,719,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
From the experience of living there for a few years all I can say is that it is like every other place I've lived in that there are good and bad things that stand out and a lot of average things. In the end it was the constant gray gloom that drove me out of PDX. I like sunshine. I do miss the public transport system though, it is awesome.
Trimet? Meh, it's OK. It's gone downhill a lot in the past couple years and i've noticed traffic has become worse as well.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:23 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
They're very present on East Burnside, and that's the street that a lot of people pass through.
Yeah, and when I spent a whole weekend there, I didn't get approached by a homeless person. I get approached by them every time I go to downtown Denver. The worst I have personally seen was downtown Tampa.

It is still a stereotype and nothing more. Portland does not have a notably high amount of homeless people, people just acknowledge there existence there and pretend cities with far more homeless people have less.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Xander:
The bum problem in Portland is bad. The difference is unlike Denver or Seattle, in Portland they seem to have colonized the whole Downtown, and that's where you'll find them. Denver's bum problem is miniscule compared to Seattle, BTW.
Uh, according to actual statistics, Denver has more homeless people by percentage AND raw numbers. Everything you are saying is just more anecdotal stereotyping. I have been there. Recently.

I get approached more in one night in downtown Denver by panhandlers than I have in an entire weekend staying in downtown PDX.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:09 PM

35 posts, read 70,858 times
I had always heard good, positive comments about Portland so my general impression was positive. I visited for the first time this past weekend and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Beautiful city, clean, great downtown, lots of restaurants, breweries, and people everywhere. It was great to find such a vibrant downtown that some larger cities would envy. I didn't encounter any homeless people so was I never panhandled. I was actually surprised by this. In SF, LA/LB this would not be the case. The freeways were not very congested. Of course this was a holiday weekend but my brother lives there and says it isn't bad at all. I'm also making comparisons based on my experiences here in CA. Overall, really liked the city and Oregon and would consider living there but I don't think I could adapt to the weather (grayness). I don't mind rain at all but I do like clear, blue, sunny skies. If you have never been to Portland, I would recommend you experience it for yourself.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 PM

555 posts, read 662,303 times
Xander:
Here's what they say in Portland:

Who are Portland's homeless?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Xander:
Here's what they say in Portland:

Who are Portland's homeless?

Yes, that article mentions the "small but visible" homeless population. Many cities have a large and visible homeless population.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 PM

555 posts, read 662,303 times
Xander:
Yes, but remember that Portland is not a huge city either. The reason the population is small but visible is because Portland is pretty well at its saturation point with them.

I don't know how you managed to visit Portland without encountering any bums---I wish I was that lucky!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Xander:
Yes, but remember that Portland is not a huge city either. The reason the population is small but visible is because Portland is pretty well at its saturation point with them.

I don't know how you managed to visit Portland without encountering any bums---I wish I was that lucky!
Ugh, what part of "by percentage" don't you get? They have LESS saturation than a lot of cities. I didn't say I didn't encounter any, I said that I was not approached by any. I did encounter them, but they still had less of a presence than I have encountered in cities that have a higher rate of homelessness per capita.

By percentage Tampa, New Orleans, Fresno, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Jose, and Seattle ALL have more homeless people. That means more saturation of homeless people. They are not alone. NYC's percentage of homeless people absolutely blows Portland away

Old 09-05-2014, 11:55 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
When I think of Portland Oregon I think of hippies, hipsters and other types of liberal loons. I think of tons of little cars with coexist bumper stickers. I think of bums in the streets, you know people who are "just trying to live man". I think of drugs. I think of lots of unemployed or underemployed young people sitting in coffee shops griping about "the man". I also think about how beautiful the area must be and how it is such a shame that the kinds of folks I just talked about have taken it over. Its too bad we cant make a bunch of unproductive hippies, hipsters and bums live in an undesirable ugly place instead of allowing them to ruin a beautiful area like Oregon. How about forced relocation of all these undesirables to Detroit Michigan instead, they cant make that place any worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or