U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
The Oakland Raiders should move to Portland. That's what I think of Portland.
Dude, not cool. WAY too harsh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:54 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
How is it over-hyped if you think it is the second best city?
I didn't say it was the second best city... I said it was the second most over-hyped, right behind Seattle.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 PM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
I have not been to Portland, Oregon. But it seems rather small and pretty isolated to live up to the hype.

Maybe if you're a hipster or REALLY into alternative lifestyles or something, then it has a lot of appeal. Or maybe people simply like the fact that it's a very white metro area on top of being liberal. I might check it out someday.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have not been to Portland, Oregon. But it seems rather small and pretty isolated to live up to the hype.

Maybe if you're a hipster or REALLY into alternative lifestyles or something, then it has a lot of appeal. I might check it out someday.
Not trying to argue, but it does not seem near as isolated as cities like Denver, Boise, etc.... It is close to Seattle and Vancouver, and it also has the next few biggest cities in the state just down the road from it still within the Willamette Valley.

It is between the Seattle metro of 3.6 Million people and the metros of Eugene and Salem which add up to about 750k people.

It's population is around 600k, and the metro is over 2 million... that is similar to Denver. Living in Denver, Portland seems anything but isolated.

Again, not trying to start a fight, but coming from the perspective of living in Denver, it seems neither small nor isolated.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM

It is the most beautiful PNW city in my opinion, and I love the position on the river. I like that the citizens seem to be more engaged in life than other cities where people seem to just work and go back to their "bedroom communities". (I put bedroom communities in quotes, so I must be one, ha ha.)

I wish it was closer to where I live so I could visit more often, but nothing is close to D-town. I will have to look up the gun laws, but if it is anything like the rest of the west, I can assume the gun laws are pretty low key and people are allowed carry... That matters to me if I was going to move there, I have thought about it.

I am also a fan of the weather there, you guys got something special up in the PNW!

Last edited by JMT; 07-25-2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 12:49 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
I've never understood the isolated critique of cities. If you are in a place that has a lot of good stuff it doesn't matter how close you are to other places. I grew up in Utica, NY which was within a day's drive of NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, Montreal and Toronto. Minneapolis, where I've lived as an adult, is pretty far from everywhere besides Chicago. Despite that Utica felt way more isolated, even with its proximity to the east coast, because it had nothing going on itself.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Portland just recently voted down fluoridation of its public water supply. It has a hard time keeping its schools running smoothly.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Portland just recently voted down fluoridation of its public water supply. It has a hard time keeping its schools running smoothly.
Good, hopefully they are the first to knock off the stupidity of public schools to begin with. Also, you can ingest fluoride if you want to without forcing everybody to whether they believe in it or not....

Old 07-26-2014, 08:52 AM

265 posts, read 319,129 times
^ Right on. Glad someone touched on that. In fact, even though I'm already planning on moving to Portland, I had no clue that the water isn't fluoridated there, and that makes me even happier about moving there! Portland just keeps getting better and better it seems. Next someone's going to tell me there are no Walmarts in Portland!

(It's hard for many people to understand, but brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste is a great way to prevent cavities without having to drink fluoride. Lol)

Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM

3,506 posts, read 5,172,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
^ Right on. Glad someone touched on that. In fact, even though I'm already planning on moving to Portland, I had no clue that the water isn't fluoridated there, and that makes me even happier about moving there! Portland just keeps getting better and better it seems. Next someone's going to tell me there are no Walmarts in Portland!

(It's hard for many people to understand, but brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste is a great way to prevent cavities without having to drink fluoride. Lol)
Sorry, but we do have Walmarts here. But you don't have to go there if you don't want to!

I've lived here since 1975 and I love just about everything about Portland. It's not perfect, to be sure, but there's lots to love about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or