Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Not trying to argue, but it does not seem near as isolated as cities like Denver, Boise, etc.... It is close to Seattle and Vancouver, and it also has the next few biggest cities in the state just down the road from it still within the Willamette Valley.

It is between the Seattle metro of 3.6 Million people and the metros of Eugene and Salem which add up to about 750k people.

It's population is around 600k, and the metro is over 2 million... that is similar to Denver. Living in Denver, Portland seems anything but isolated.

Again, not trying to start a fight, but coming from the perspective of living in Denver, it seems neither small nor isolated.
Denver is definitely isolated for a city its size, but metro Denver is near, if not over 3 million now. It's a much bigger city than Portland, but shares a lot of its characteristics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
I recently stayed in Portland for three months.

Portland has an excellent comedy scene. Portland has become a comedy hotbed. Comedians tend to be dark, moody and self-absorbed which pretty much parallels the emotional range of the town's younger populace.

Public transit was solid and Tri-Met announced it would be adding routes and improving service on the routes it already serves. The MAX is adding a new light rail line next year. I'd like to see The MAX and the bus routes continue until at least the time the bars close.

The local economy ranged from below-average to average. Medical marijuana shops and vapor shops were popping up all over the place. Gentrification is pushing the lower income population steadily east.

Gentrification has hit the point where developers are taking over the lots the food cart pods are situated on. So a main reason why people like Portland may become a victim of its own success.

The homeless and panhandling situation is way out of hand. I began to think Portland's most popular hobby was asking me for money.

Also, the city seems to base its policies on pleasing the people they'd like to attract more than pleasing the residents who are already there.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 08-14-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 08:39 PM

70 posts, read 135,538 times
Have always thought of it as very relaxed, liberal, artsy, but strangely have seen more than a few murder mystery stories on TV taking place there.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know, what does the rest of the United States think of Portland Oregon? What are your thoughts on the city and what was your time there like?
I don't think about Portland, why do you care what people think about your town?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I don't think about Portland, why do you care what people think about your town?
Does it really matter?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I recently stayed in Portland for three months.

Portland has an excellent comedy scene. Portland has become a comedy hotbed. Comedians tend to be dark, moody and self-absorbed which pretty much parallels the emotional range of the town's younger populace.

Public transit was solid and Tri-Met announced it would be adding routes and improving service on the routes it already serves. The MAX is adding a new light rail line next year. I'd like to see The MAX and the bus routes continue until at least the time the bars close.

The local economy ranged from below-average to average. Medical marijuana shops and vapor shops were popping up all over the place. Gentrification is pushing the lower income population steadily east.

Gentrification has hit the point where developers are taking over the lots the food cart pods are situated on. So a main reason why people like Portland may become a victim of its own success.

The homeless and panhandling situation is way out of hand. I began to think Portland's most popular hobby was asking me for money.

Also, the city seems to base its policies on pleasing the people they'd like to attract more than pleasing the residents who are already there.
The homeless and panhandling situation has been out of control there for a long time. When I visited in the early 90s I was shocked at how much I was getting hustled, it seemed I couldn't walk a block without being approached and most were very aggressive..

Other than the homeless problem I love Portland and am due for a visit.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Does it really matter?
Do you?

Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Do you?
Yes.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Super. Have a great night.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Super. Have a great night.
Thank you, you have a good night as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.