U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,225,643 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, what does the rest of the United States think of Portland Oregon? What are your thoughts on the city and what was your time there like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,418,374 times
I've never been there, and I honestly never think about it. I'm sure it's lovely, though.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 PM

854 posts, read 1,111,631 times
Probably think it's like Portlandia, but that's only a fairly small part of the city.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:16 PM

6,431 posts, read 9,950,274 times
I've heard it's filled with nothing but young, entitled, rude, liberal hipsters. Can't say that's been proven wrong. At my job, some of my worst customers have been from there.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,856,581 times
Never been, but it would seen to be an attractive city. I like modern, clean, green, with close recreation and cool architecture. I feel Portland meets than, plus has the young professional side as well. I do not like how liberal it is.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM

308 posts, read 402,432 times
Never been there. No real desire to visit honestly. Only place on the west coast I'd want to visit would be Cali.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
It's nicer than many points southward, and not as nice as many points northward. Seattle/environs is much prettier.

Lots of traffic in Portland, much more than is justified. More expensive than it needs to be too.

The people are great. I do business there daily (via phone), as my boss and several employees are there.

It is definitely worth a visit for those of you who have never been to the Pacific NW before.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
I drove through Portland last month, while on vacation out west. The skyline was stunning and everything looked beautiful and green. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to stop in the city/area and explore.

In general, people here in New England don't really know anything about Portland, or that it even exists. That's probably because people know "Portland" more commonly as the city of Portland, Maine. So, when someone here mentions "Portland," they instantly think of Portland, ME, not Portland, OR. But almost everyone has heard of Seattle. And whenever people here think of Seattle, all that comes to mind is clouds and rain. I'm not trying to degrade either of these cities, but just being honest with what people think of them. In my opinion, both cities are exciting and have a lot to offer. But I wouldn't want to live in either, because of cost of living, traffic, etc. And not so sure I could tolerate THAT much overcast and frequent rain, even if it's just drizzle, which is still annoying.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
It is a lot like south and northeast Minneapolis. If I was going to move it would be on my short list.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Portland is a beautiful city with well planned urban layout, has excellent parks, better transit than most city/metros of its size, a nice downtown and some interesting architecture, lots of bridges, good food, and feels very much like a river city which is what sets it apart from Seattle in that aspect. I like that it has good density at its core and suburban elbow room surrounding it with lots of beautiful trees. When I saw Portland for the first time it sort of reminded me of Pittsburgh with the rivers, bridges, and hills. The freeways could definitely use an upgrade. I use to visit Portland and friends that live there pretty frequently when I lived up in Seattle. I loved making excursions to the Oregon coast and Columbia River gorge from there. I like Portland, though socially it's not really up my alley and I think I appreciated it more when I was in my 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or