U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM

22,178 posts, read 23,705,057 times

Advertisements

The Navajo Nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,209 times
I would say Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I would say Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas.
I'm from Kansas and I'd probably agree with that. That being said Kansas is getting a lot of international students these days. I was reading Hays, Ks which has 20,000 people has 1,000 international students now. I realize that's probably nothing compared to NYC or LA, bit it sure seemed influential to me. Rural areas of any Midwestern state will have little influence. Did anyone hear the story about the farmer who lost his phone in a grain bin, it was found in Japan and mailed back to him, the world is a pretty small place.

There are a lot of Volgan Germans in western Kansas, would you define that as foreign culture? Many of the older generations still speak German and prepare traditional German/Russian food. Many counties in SW Kansas are majority Mexican/Hispanic.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:56 AM

10,430 posts, read 12,436,404 times
Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Kentucky, West Virginia

Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm from Kansas and I'd probably agree with that. That being said Kansas is getting a lot of international students these days. I was reading Hays, Ks which has 20,000 people has 1,000 international students now. I realize that's probably nothing compared to NYC or LA, bit it sure seemed influential to me. Rural areas of any Midwestern state will have little influence. Did anyone hear the story about the farmer who lost his phone in a grain bin, it was found in Japan and mailed back to him, the world is a pretty small place.

There are a lot of Volgan Germans in western Kansas, would you define that as foreign culture? Many of the older generations still speak German and prepare traditional German/Russian food. Many counties in SW Kansas are majority Mexican/Hispanic.
Agreed, but Kansas still has a ways to catch up with border states and the states with the biggest cities in them. Nothing to be ashamed about though... people are people, don't care where they are from, lol.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times
Kansas is definately not the answer. Garden City, Dodge City, and Liberal are full of people who are foreign born. Not to mention there are the Kansas City burbs. Not exactly international any of them, but Kansas has more foreign influence than West Virginia, Mississippi, North Dakota, or South Dakota. Same with Oklahoma.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Kansas is definately not the answer. Garden City, Dodge City, and Liberal are full of people who are foreign born. Not to mention there are the Kansas City burbs. Not exactly international any of them, but Kansas has more foreign influence than West Virginia, Mississippi, North Dakota, or South Dakota. Same with Oklahoma.
Lol, some of those are border states, how can they have less foreign influence? Garden City, Dodge City, and Liberal are all pretty damn small places, and they are ALL majority U.S. born whites....

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 07-25-2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,403,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
North Dakota? The North Dakota that borders Canada for over 300 miles and has an oil boom going on right now? I don't think so.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:40 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,886,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Navajo Nation?
Totally agree.

Unless the OP means non-Anglo 'foreign' influence. Otherwise New Mexico should be on the top of the list. The culture there, one that is Hispanic and Native American (2nd highest percentage after Alaska, highest in the continental U.S.), goes back centuries to before even the first British colonies on the eastern seaboard of what is now the U.S.A. The settlement of Santa Fe was established in 1608, by then the area head already been known as New Mexico for several decades.

New Mexico's culture is not a 'Mexican' culture, despite the similarities, just the same way Guatemala or Peru or Chile have their own unique Hispanic-Mestizo-Native culture. In fact, New Mexico was known as New Mexico for more than 200 years before the modern day nation of Mexico even existed (remember it was then known as Nueva Espana.)

The OP needs to clarify what they mean by 'foreign' influence, otherwise New Mexico, with its isolation and historical population and culture is by far one of the least influenced by foreigners.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,403,262 times
New Mexico is obviously heavily influenced by Mexico, come on! Compare Mexico's influence on New Mexico vs any sort of foreign influence on (say) Kansas or West Virginia. Border states are not the answer here.

Reservations are not states. They certainly have a different (one might even call them foreign in their own right - see: Navajo NATION) culture and less foreign influence than any state, but this is most reservations regardless of where in the country they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or