U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 06:50 PM

620 posts, read 687,645 times

Advertisements

There is no official definition of the regions of the US. It can change anytime. It has to do with each person's opinions, and how each company organizes operations. Sometimes, regions even cross state lines such as the Mid Atlantic including the southern portions of NY state.

For me:

North Atlantic (ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, Northern NY, RI)
Mid Atlantic (Southern NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, WV, VA, OH, Eastern KY)
South Atlantic (NC, SC, GA, FL, Eastern TN, PR, VI)
Interior South (Central/Western TN, AL, MS, LA, AR)
Southwest (OK, TX, NM, AZ)
Great Lakes (MI, WI, IL, IN, Western KY)
Great Plains (MN, ND, SD, NE, IA, KS, MO)
Rocky Mountains (MT, ID, WY, CO, UT)
North Pacific (OR, WA, AK)
South Pacific (CA, NV, HI)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:58 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
There is no official definition of each region. However, there are definitions that are much more common/universal than others. For example, New England is ALWAYS strictly defined as CT, MA, RI, VT, NH and ME. No exceptions.

Another example, although not as strict, would be the Deep South, which almost everyone agrees is SC, GA, AL, MS and LA.

Or the Pacific Northwest, which is generally considered to be western Washington and Oregon.

Some states are highly debatable, such as Delaware and Maryland (South or Northeast?). Or Oklahoma (South or Midwest?).

There could be overlapping designations of regions and subregions or divisions. For example, the Rust Belt, which spans across the Midwest and Northeast.

Your list may make sense to you, but it is generally agreed upon that there are FOUR distinct regions of the U.S., as follows: Northeast, South, Midwest and West.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,339,314 times
I think the Southwest is the most loosely defined region. The Southwest and what is seen as Southwestern both culturally and geographically always incorporates the entire states of Arizona and New Mexico. The Southwest extends into parts of Utah and Nevada but doesn't really incorporate the whole states. I don't see Salt Lake City as a much of a Southwestern city but the national parks and red rocks of southern Utah are most definitely Southwestern.

The region overlaps into Texas and El Paso is definitely very Southwestern, but I think the Southwestern influence in Texas fades out when going east of the Pecos and Big Bend. Some might say Colorado is included, or rather a very small part of it around Four Corners.

The irony of it all is San Diego is the most Southwestern city in the country as a geographic technicality but rarely are San Diego and Southwest in regional terms mentioned in the same sentence as California is usually always West Coast or pretty much its own entity of a region altogether.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 07-23-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 PM

620 posts, read 687,645 times
California, Nevada and Hawaii has little in common with Oregon, Washington and Alaska. So I decided to separate the West Coast too.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,871,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There is no official definition of the regions of the US. It can change anytime. It has to do with each person's opinions, and how each company organizes operations. Sometimes, regions even cross state lines such as the Mid Atlantic including the southern portions of NY state.

For me:

How is Western Kentucky part of the Great Lakes when it doesn't border one, while MN does but is a Great Plains state.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:08 AM

24,838 posts, read 9,664,865 times
Quote:

For me:

This list is a little whacked out. Ok, a lot whacked out.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM

302 posts, read 592,331 times
Quote:
There is no official definition of the regions of the US.
The United States Census disagrees. Census Regions and Divisions of the United States

Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Well at least muppethammer dropped the "Wisconsin is a northeastern state" line. This list is still quite a bit off, but he's getting warmer. A few more threads over the next couple of months and we might finally set him straight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or