U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM

34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehyn View Post
I've lived in both California and Arizona (Riverside and Phoenix, respectively) for equal amounts of my life. I'm having a really hard time figuring out where I want to spend my college years. I realize I can't visit everywhere that I want to (sadly) and so I'm having a crisis on; what if I'm missing out on the perfect place for me?
What's your college major and which city is a good place to find a job during (intern) and after graduation? How much money do you have to be able to "get home" cheaply during the school year? You know, if your family is in California, for example, you need to be able to get home when you want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,651,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehyn View Post
I don't hate SoCal and Arizona because of humidity, I just put those sentences next to each other. Group the hatred. lol. I've been to Colorado, I don't really like it all that much. I was up in the New England area a few weeks ago and although it is really humid, it didn't bother me as much since it wasn't 100 degrees and humid like inland California. I'm more worried about surviving winters if I were to go there, though like :-D said, it's probably something to just get used to. I really liked Flagstaff when I was younger, so now that I think about it, I should check out some unis or colleges near there.
I don't like Sacramento or SF. ): I've never been to Boise (or Idaho actually) but I'll look into it. My parents really like Idaho so if I suggested a road trip I think they'd squeal.
I'm looking at places that are different from where I live because I don't really like where I live.
I can deal with the brutal heat of Dallas, I think it wouldn't bother me any more than Arizona did. Though iirc Texas is drier? Maybe?
Flagstaff suits what you want I think. NAU has the WUE program so it's reduced tuition from out of state, which you are eligible for. I think it puts you at around 11k a year (I think it's 1.5 times in-state tuition, I haven't checked in a long time) since NAU is around 8k for in-staters, unless that changed. I'm going to take the wild assumption that Flagstaff is 8 hours away from LA, so it's easy to visit. If you do visit NAU, please make sure to visit during the winter. I have only seen snowfall once in my life, and it was when I was touring NAU. I remember complaining about how the snow was blowing in my face and the tour guide said, "What do you mean it's strong? This is a flurry!"

Flagstaff is probably one of the most liberal places in Arizona. Super liberal. Easy access to the great outdoors and a cute small town.

I don't know where you are leaning but for Northern Arizona that's about the only school besides the community colleges. There's Embry-Riddle in Prescott (which is better for you weather-wise because they get less snow and are a little warmer) but that's strictly based on aerospace stuff, and it's extremely expensive to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or