U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,940,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I made a comment a couple pages back in regards to how some people find flat farmland beautiful, and even rolling hills - because farms can also be cultivated on not so flat land. People tend to associate farms with flatness, but farms aren't always found on flat land. In Italy along the Amalfi coast, they grow crops right into the side of seaside cliffs - I have pictures from my trip of steep land that was slightly altered in order to create farms, right alongside the Mediterranean. Upstate NY, to me, is associated with both farms and mountains.
Yup, around here you can't drive through any of the valleys without seeing a barn or stables or something. Even higher up if the land is flat *enough*.

I find farm land to often be very picturesque. It seems like one poster thinks it isn't... their loss.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,459,008 times
The West has far more dramatic scenery. I remember the first time I saw the Rockies when I was 20. They were entrancing, far more interesting to look at than the Appalachians. The same with the Cascades and her volcanoes some years later. I live in a state with deserts, rainforests, two mountain ranges, volcanoes, rugged coastlines, a fjord, glaciers, etc. It has spoiled me for a lot of other places, let me tell you.

Doesn't mean I don't think there isn't anything to write home about back east. The Great Lakes immediately come to mind. When I move back east eventually, it will be to the west coast of Michigan.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM

601 posts, read 711,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Yeah yeah mountains, yadda yadda yadda. Overall I find the east more beautiful. Sure it has nothing as rugged as Glacier National Park but the reality is 70 percent of the West is desert and scrub. Overall I find back east more consistently beautiful.
70%?

I guess we all have our own tastes, but I find the West, particularly the Nortwest to be by far the most beautiful region of the nation.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I think we can get a better representation of the west than a pic of a deserted road!Attachment 133415

Attachment 133416

Attachment 133417
Honestly, the picture of the east wasn't that great, either.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
We got Hawaii-warmest, clearest, and best beaches in the US and while FL is beautiful...it ain't no Hawaii.
I thought we were discussing the continental US.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,624,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene85 View Post
I do.

I think this looks better than this. I can't stand arid places.
And I love big sky. Can't see it back East.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM

103 posts, read 134,900 times
Travelled to most of the states in the Union, I do appreciate all types of scenery. Every single state has something unique that no other State has, it only takes time to discover it. Beauty is in small things and sometimes it takes more than one visit to see it all.

Being from Europe originally, the East feels more like home to me, but thats just individual subjective feeling. In terms of diversity of nature and amount of national parks between East and West I do have to vote for West.

Also. People here are mostly comparing East and West, omitting other parts of the country. Besides the East I really find the Midwest very nice. You can't beat the big skies and sunset on prairies in Nebraska and Kansas.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 PM

12,651 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Some Northeast pics, at least one from every state in no particular order.

Niagara Falls, New York

Fall in Vermont

Gay Head Clay Cliffs, Aquinnah on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Gay Head Cliffs

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, New Jersey/Pennsylvania

Delaware Water Gap

Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey

Lake George, New York

Mount Washington, New Hampshire

Watch Hill, Rhode Island

Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine

Acadia

Oxford, Connecticut

Greenwood Lake, New York

Camel's Hump Mountain, Vermont

Old 07-27-2014, 02:34 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,801,179 times
Very nice!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
i thought you hate mountains, and find them ugly. Why are you posting pics of them, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Some Northeast pics, at least one from every state in no particular order.

Niagara Falls, New York

Fall in Vermont

Gay Head Clay Cliffs, Aquinnah on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Gay Head Cliffs

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, New Jersey/Pennsylvania

Delaware Water Gap

Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey

Lake George, New York

Mount Washington, New Hampshire

Watch Hill, Rhode Island

Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine

Acadia

Oxford, Connecticut

Greenwood Lake, New York

Camel's Hump Mountain, Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or