U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM

17,238 posts, read 19,536,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
I love the lush greenery of the east, but I dig the mountains of the west, so I can't say one is better than the other. Perhaps the Pacific Northwest has the best of both worlds.

For people who don't think the east coast has pretty scenery, Buzzfeed has some nice pics of the Adirondacks. Love the stars in the first pic. Enjoy!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewziegle...he-adirondacks
Yeah, I've been to the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain. Pretty nice and recommended.

Also, close to Montreal which is obviously an added plus.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:29 PM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, I've been to the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain. Pretty nice and recommended.

Also, close to Montreal which is obviously an added plus.
The nicest sunset I've ever seen back east was from the waterfront in Burlington, VT looking west over Lake Champlain with the silhouette of the Adirondacks over the lake. Gorgeous!

Old 08-02-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
The nicest sunset I've ever seen back east was from the waterfront in Burlington, VT looking west over Lake Champlain with the silhouette of the Adirondacks over the lake. Gorgeous!
I did see the sunset from Burlington too.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:24 PM

18,664 posts, read 23,235,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Yeah yeah mountains, yadda yadda yadda. Overall I find the east more beautiful. Sure it has nothing as rugged as Glacier National Park but the reality is 70 percent of the West is desert and scrub. Overall I find back east more consistently beautiful.

I do. I can appreciate the beauty of the Grand Canyon, and the younger and more majestic mountains. But I need lush greenery, I prefer the Atlantic ocean and the coastal towns of New England along with the more tame, rolling older mountains that are found in the east.

There are unquestioningly beautiful places in the west, but much of it is a rugged, almost geological type of beauty.

I could live and have lived many places east of the Mississippi.

However, there are entire states west of the Mississippi that are, to me, ugly. Or have terrible weather. Are too hot. Or too rainy. Or have different types of flora and foliage that I am just not used to seeing.

The East has a different type of beauty. More genteel. And some of the beauty found in the East is connected to it's architecture and age.
There is a more English feel, that I in general enjoy and resonates for me.

If you look for large geological formations in the East, and that is what you find beautiful; you are probably not going to find that kind of rugged beauty.

I like pretty towns, with older homes, lots of greenery, deciduous trees that turn golden and red each autumn, and espalier against blue autumn skies and white colonial style homes.

Last edited by sheena12; 08-02-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 02:14 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,207,108 times
Ummmm...no! I've driven through the mountains in NC and I've driven through the Rockies and the Cascades. There's just no comparison. And I'll take the green and rugged CA coast over the flat and sandy east coast any day of the week. Just MO though.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 AM

282 posts, read 299,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Some people are just very uncomfortable with the idea that people don't agree with assumptions about beauty that they had never questioned before.

It reminds me of a joke I heard regarding my local mountain range which forms a very prominent skyline rising above the city.

So, a Kansan is visiting Albuquerque for the first time and a local strikes up a conversation with him, "So how do like Albuquerque?"

"I like it just fine. It is a nice city."

The Albuquerquean gestures proudly at the majestic Sandia Mountains, "And how do you like the view?"

"Not bad. Would be nicer if that mountain wasn't in the way, though.", The Kansan replied.
Exactly !!

Now , here are some east coast beaches that are always warm - since some folks brought up Hawaii

http://www.islands.com/files/imageca...6_03.jpg_0.jpg

Virgin Islands, U.S. - YouTube

http://static.travel.usnews.com/imag..._wikimedia.jpg

HIDDEN BEACHES IN PUERTO RICO - YouTube

http://www.key-west-miami.com/wp-con...ywestbeach.jpg

Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
But even South Florida gets that winter chill for a few days every winter...Hawaii never sees this. So even so, not really a comparison. And while Florida is pretty it cannot compare to Hawaii.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 PM

This has to be one of the most spectacular scenic areas in the west:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bryc...=1920&bih=1091

Old 08-03-2014, 03:14 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,445,193 times
Both sides are beautiful, and I would love to visit the eastern half of the country some day, especially New England in the fall, as that is my absolute favorite time of the year. There is no doubt that the east is beautiful and more lush and green than most areas of the west. However, when I think of lush greenery, I think of humidity. No thanks! I think it falls under the category of "would love to visit, don't want to live there."

I grew up on the Great Plains, so I am used to and love the big skies, wide open spaces and the nasty storms that roll through. I now live on the very edge of the west, and I feel like I've found a place that suits me. I prefer the lower humidity and drier climate. I am drawn to the mountains in the west, and love the WY/MT/ID area.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:01 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,123,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This has to be one of the most spectacular scenic areas in the west:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bryc...=1920&bih=1091
Holy moly, that is magnificently GORGEOUS. I've never heard of Bryce Canyon, might have to put it on my bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or