U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times
Reputation: 7075

Advertisements

Yeah, sometimes palm trees look like giant weeds.

 
Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,451 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Reputation: 23172
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Holy moly, that is magnificently GORGEOUS. I've never heard of Bryce Canyon, might have to put it on my bucket list.
isn't it funny how people view things differently. You find it gorgeous, I find it alien and somehow depressing.
 
Old 08-03-2014, 08:41 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,939,292 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
But even South Florida gets that winter chill for a few days every winter...Hawaii never sees this. So even so, not really a comparison. And while Florida is pretty it cannot compare to Hawaii.
LOL! I read this then looked at your screen name.

There are plenty of areas in which Hawaii "can not compare" to Florida... which is why it really annoys me when people say a certain area "can not compare" or is better "hands down".

It is sad how people try to put preferences into absolute terms.
 
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,046,298 times
Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
LOL! I read this then looked at your screen name.

There are plenty of areas in which Hawaii "can not compare" to Florida... which is why it really annoys me when people say a certain area "can not compare" or is better "hands down".

It is sad how people try to put preferences into absolute terms.
Hawaii vs. Florida = Mercedes vs. Chevrolet
 
Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,939,292 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Hawaii vs. Florida = Mercedes vs. Chevrolet


Because Mercedes vs. Chevrolet is just a matter of preferences... right.... right?
 
Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,667,251 times
Reputation: 3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Not everywhere out West is arid...ever heard of Seattle? LEAGUES more beautigul than anything out East.
Very true, the Seattle area is very green.
And I find it amusing that everyone paints with a broad brush and says the west is so arid and ugly, that the east wins because it is green. Well the western halves of Washington, Oregon, as well as the northern 1/3rd of California are very green- every bit as green as the northeast and then some. Dense vegetation everywhere, rain forests, waterfalls everywhere, etc.

Last edited by jm31828; 08-04-2014 at 09:03 AM..
 
Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Reputation: 12961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Yes! No place at all in the east even holds a candle to what can be found in places like the Seattle area.
And I find it amusing that everyone paints with a broad brush and says the west is so arid and ugly, that the east wins because it is green. Well the western halves of Washington, Oregon, as well as the northern 1/3rd of California are very green- every bit as green as the northeast and then some. Dense vegetation everywhere, rain forests, waterfalls everywhere, etc.
That is true that the vegetation in those areas is pretty dense. However, any map of wooded areas will show that there is a much broader area of tree cover in the east than the west. Experience also confirms this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tates_2011.jpg

Also, check out this map of farmers markets:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/...1cd8a8cece.jpg
 
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,377,878 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah, sometimes palm trees look like giant weeds.
I really do love most Palm Trees, but some of the really tall and lanky ones with just the one ball of green on the top are not very pretty IMO.


The ones on the East Coast, Gulf and Carribean look much nicer to me than some of those towering ones found in California and out West (although Cali has so many different kinds-most of which I do love). And there is something kind of awesome about those towering ones too-just not my preference.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-04-2014 at 09:13 AM..
 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,667,251 times
Reputation: 3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is true that the vegetation in those areas is pretty dense. However, any map of wooded areas will show that there is a much broader area of tree cover in the east than the west. Experience also confirms this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tates_2011.jpg

Also, check out this map of farmers markets:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/...1cd8a8cece.jpg

True, but I was just stating that it's not true that all of the west is dry/arid as some are trying to say- that there is a considerable area in the west that is in fact lush/green/forested. In fact Washington has the only temperate rain forests in the lower 48 states.
 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,939,292 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Not everywhere out West is arid...ever heard of Seattle? LEAGUES more beautigul than anything out East.
Again, it is a matter of preference. Neither area is "leagues more beautigul" than the other. You guys out west are hilarious.

AGAIN, this thread is NOT "east vs. west, which is more beautiful?"... It just asks for people that find the east more beautiful, and because some people do, you guys out west get all offended and have to tell us how stupid we are for finding an area more beautiful than another and you guys try to "prove us wrong".

Talk about an obvious inferiority complex. *Which is hilarious given how superior you claim your area is...*

Lets try it back and see how much you like it, the Everglades are LEAGUES more beautigul than anything out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top