U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM

22,383 posts, read 27,591,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
^Well the great thing about the barrier islands on the East Coast is that you can catch the sunrise over the ocean and the sunset over the bay, often from the same porch/house.

Sunset from Sea Isle City, NJ last Summer-82nd Street Bay
Nice sunrise.

Here are two sunsets in my area...

Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,125,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Nice answer to "does anyone find the east more beautiful than the west?".....
So just because the OP asked if there were people who found the East to be more beautiful than the West, those of us who don't can't reply to the thread?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,943,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
So just because the OP asked if there were people who found the East to be more beautiful than the West, those of us who don't can't reply to the thread?
No, you can... I never said you can't. It does seem weird to answer a question with something that is only sorta related to the question.

(It is also sad how some people from the west have to come in here and try to establish dominance.)

Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
No, you can... I never said you can't. It does seem weird to answer a question with something that is only sorta related to the question.

(It is also sad how some people from the west have to come in here and try to establish dominance.)
So far, all the responses have been related to the original question.

Why is that sad? People are posting links/photos of beautiful places out West. People are also posting links/photos of beautiful places out East. Some people believe the East's natural beauty is more appealing than that of the West's, and same vice versa. How is that a sad thing?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
So far, all the responses have been related to the original question.
Which does not make them actual answers to the original question.

Quote:
Why is that sad?
Because this is NOT east vs west. This thread is simply to identify people who find the East more attractive, not a place for the people who prefer the west to "prove" that they are right.

Quote:
People are posting links/photos of beautiful places out West.
Is this thread the, "Post pictures of an area you find to be beautiful" thread?

Quote:
People are also posting links/photos of beautiful places out East.
Yeah, mostly in response to the snide comments from people who prefer the west like; "The west is more beautiful, hands down." or "The East can not compete." Which are not only off-topic, it is insulting to those that think the East is more beautiful.

Quote:
Some people believe the East's natural beauty is more appealing than that of the West's, and same vice versa. How is that a sad thing?
Reading comprehension, yo. I NEVER claimed that. I would appreciate it if you didn't make up arguments and attach them to me.

The sad thing is that the people in the west can't let the people who prefer the east have a thread about it without trying to prove their area is superior in absolute terms.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,401,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Not many people travel east of the Mississippi for magnificent natural beauty. I'm not saying that the east coast has no beautiful areas. But the reality is that the Western States have jaw dropping beauty that people generally admire more from around the world.

Just saying.
This is true. And I'm east of the Mississippi and love my region's beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Trees hide the landscape.
Forests are magical enveloping places. I feel bad for anyone who hasn't spent time in one - there's nothing more private, peaceful and plugged-in than being in the middle of a forest.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Which does not make them actual answers to the original question.

Because this is NOT east vs west. This thread is simply to identify people who find the East more attractive, not a place for the people who prefer the west to "prove" that they are right.

Is this thread the, "Post pictures of an area you find to be beautiful" thread?

Yeah, mostly in response to the snide comments from people who prefer the west like; "The west is more beautiful, hands down." or "The East can not compete." Which are not only off-topic, it is insulting to those that think the East is more beautiful.

Reading comprehension, yo. I NEVER claimed that. I would appreciate it if you didn't make up arguments and attach them to me.

The sad thing is that the people in the west can't let the people who prefer the east have a thread about it without trying to prove their area is superior in absolute terms.
Okay, I'm not going to even respond and take apart every sentence like you did. You absolutely did say that it was sad that Westerners are wanting to establish dominance in terms of the subject, which is what I stated in my other comment, so my reading comprehension is just fine.

You seem to be the only one with a problem with the disagreeing people. No one cares, except you. Why? Is it because a lot of people prefer the natural beauty of the West? This is an honest question because you're breaking down everything bit by bit. The OP doesn't have a problem with those disagreeing with their opinion commenting in this thread. Opposing views are likely to appear in threads like these, and pretty much all threads here. So some people may not agree. So?

I'm just trying to figure out why you're picking apart things and feel it's a problem that people are "upping" the West. Users saying such and such is "the absolute best", "without a doubt" or "hands down" is common here, but I'm sure you know that. It's no big deal.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'm not going to even respond and take apart every sentence like you did.
You mean address each and every point individually to avoid confusion? Didn't ask you to.

Quote:
You absolutely did say that it was sad that Westerners are wanting to establish dominance in terms of the subject, which is what I stated in my other comment, so my reading comprehension is just fine.
Apparently it isn't. You claimed that I said people "finding the west to be more attractive" is sad:

Quote:
Some people believe the East's natural beauty is more appealing than that of the West's, and same vice versa. How is that a sad thing?
It is sad that you can't read your own posts. You very clearly accuse me of saying people finding a certain area to be more beautiful is sad, and NOW you change it to the people wanting to establish dominance... which is sad.

Quote:
You seem to be the only one with a problem with the disagreeing people. No one cares, except you. Why? Is it because a lot of people prefer the natural beauty of the West?
Yeah, that is why the rep is rolling in hardcore, also, I must question your reading again... read the whole thread, I am not the only person who thinks the people in here claiming that people are wrong for finding the east more beautiful are off-topic and trollish.

Quote:
This is an honest question because you're breaking down everything bit by bit. The OP doesn't have a problem with those disagreeing with their opinion commenting in this thread.
Derp. The question in the OP is yes or no. Period. It is not "east vs. west", how do you not get this?

Quote:
Opposing views are likely to appear in threads like these, and pretty much all threads here. So some people may not agree. So?
DERP. Not what I am complaining about.

I am complaining about the people who use absolute terms like "The east CAN NOT compete", that is simply telling us that believe the east is more beautiful that we are wrong... you can't be wrong in a matter of opinion.

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out why you're picking apart things and feel it's a problem that people are "upping" the West. Users saying such and such is "the absolute best", "without a doubt" or "hands down" is common here, but I'm sure you know that. It's no big deal.
Ugh. If you haven't figured it out by now, your reading comprehension limits you from ever doing so.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You mean address each and every point individually to avoid confusion? Didn't ask you to.

Apparently it isn't. You claimed that I said people "finding the west to be more attractive" is sad:

It is sad that you can't read your own posts. You very clearly accuse me of saying people finding a certain area to be more beautiful is sad, and NOW you change it to the people wanting to establish dominance... which is sad.

No, I was referring to the latter, which was the "vice versa" part, so nope, you just misunderstood me. I didn't accuse you of thinking it was sad that people are boasting the East. I definitely should have been more specific and clear, I'll admit

Yeah, that is why the rep is rolling in hardcore, also, I must question your reading again... read the whole thread, I am not the only person who thinks the people in here claiming that people are wrong for finding the east more beautiful are off-topic and trollish.

Now who needs to check their reading comprehension skills? I said it SEEMS like you're the only one who cares. I never stated it as a definite fact.

Derp. The question in the OP is yes or no. Period. It is not "east vs. west", how do you not get this?

I never said this was an "East vs. West" thread. Time to check those those reading comprehension skills. Seriously, you're one to talk about reading comprehension.

DERP. Not what I am complaining about.

I am complaining about the people who use absolute terms like "The east CAN NOT compete", that is simply telling us that believe the east is more beautiful that we are wrong... you can't be wrong in a matter of opinion.

Good lord. Again, why are you taking everything so literally??? Expressions like "can't compete", especially when found on the internet, are just representations of strong OPINIONS. I can bet those who are saying these expressions don't literally think those who oppose are in the absolute wrong. It's just a way of expressing an opinion. That's all. Nothing but a few hyperboles.

Ugh. If you haven't figured it out by now, your reading comprehension limits you from ever doing so.
You've definitely given me reasons, but as I said earlier, the examples in this read are representations of strong opinions, not absolute facts. Again, hyperboles.

Last edited by theraven24; 08-06-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,353,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Yeah yeah mountains, yadda yadda yadda. Overall I find the east more beautiful. Sure it has nothing as rugged as Glacier National Park but the reality is 70 percent of the West is desert and scrub. Overall I find back east more consistently beautiful.
This is certainly a subjective subject and everyone's opinion is valid, at least for themselves, but not necessarly for anyone else.

I've traveled over most areas of the US, probably 40 of the 50 states at one time or another. Most of the states I've not been in are smaller states (mostly out East), but I have been to all areas of the country even if I've missed a small state or two nearby.

All I can say is that for me personally, the West, Northwest, Mountain West and Southwest are what I enjoy the most by far. Again, this is subjective, and to each their own. The wide open spaces of the West, the mountains, desert areas, majestic Sahuro cactus in Arizona, the Redwoods of California, Puget Sound in Washington state.....all put together, I'm always more excited to spend time in the West compared to my desire to be in the East. I realize this is post was more about beauty, but if you add in comfort, the lack of high humidity in much (certainly not all) of the West....it's a slam dunk for me.

I remember traveling with my parents (in the backseat....lol) when I was a kid. We traveled quite a lot by car around much of the country visiting relatives and friends and seeing the sights. My mother came from a very large familiy....so we had relatives in every area of the country. From North Carolina to Washington State, from New Jersey to California and most points in between....lol. My Dad's relatives were mostly out West in the Oregon/Washington/California area. When we'd go out West, I was always enamoured by the sights passing by the car window. I've always thought even the desert was a very beautiful place in it's own way. When we traveled out East.....it was always "how soon until we get there ?".

For what it's worth, 7 of the top 10, and 15 of the top 20 National Parks (by visitor numbers) are located out West. However, the top in attendance (by a wide margin) is Great Smokey Mountain NP which is of course in the Eastern part of the US.

The main thing we should all remember is that, we live in a beautiful country with a wide variety of terrain available and are fortunate to be able to accomodate most anyone's desires if you're willing to travel and/or move permanently to find your special place. It's fun to compare likes and dislikes with others, but each person is different and that's what makes life interesting !

Last edited by jasper1372; 08-06-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or