U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM

17,318 posts, read 19,597,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I remember traveling with my parents (in the backseat....lol) when I was a kid. We traveled quite a lot by car around much of the country visiting relatives and friends and seeing the sights. My mother came from a very large familiy....so we had relatives in every area of the country. From North Carolina to Washington State, from New Jersey to California and most points in between....lol. My Dad's relatives were mostly out West in the Oregon/Washington/California area. When we'd go out West, I was always enamoured by the sights passing by the car window. I've always thought even the desert was a very beautiful place in it's own way. When we traveled out East.....it was always "how soon until we get there ?".
I would expect the east to be a lot more uniform looking than the west. Lots of trees, rolling hills, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, farms, villages, small towns, historic large cities, marshland, beaches...

This pretty much describes the vast majority of the east.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM

556 posts, read 633,472 times
Nobody is travelling out east to experience nature and beauty.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,127,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
False. Niagara Falls is a biggie, but there are plenty of national parks located in the East that people visit.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:15 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,127,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
The main thing we should all remember is that, we live in a beautiful country with a wide variety of terrain available and are fortunate to be able to accomodate most anyone's desires if you're willing to travel and/or move permanently to find your special place. It's fun to compare likes and dislikes with others, but each person is different and that's what makes life interesting !
This!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:37 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,946,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
You've definitely given me reasons, but as I said earlier, the examples in this read are representations of strong opinions, not absolute facts. Again, hyperboles.
Ugh, I hate people who get upset when people read words as what they literally mean. The problem is not with me using words correctly, it is with the people who use them incorrectly to say something similar to what they mean, but not what they mean.

If people are using words incorrectly, and it causes a communication issue, you can't blame the person who reads them as what they literally mean.

Quote:
Now who needs to check their reading comprehension skills? I said it SEEMS like you're the only one who cares. I never stated it as a definite fact.
Yeah, and I said that you can simply read otherwise. The evidence is there that your claim of how it "seems" is false. It doesn't "seem" that way unless you ignore what has been said.

(You just got upset that I was reading things literally, and then you use this point about what you literally said to try to prove I am wrong?)

Quote:
I never said this was an "East vs. West" thread. Time to check those those reading comprehension skills. Seriously, you're one to talk about reading comprehension.
Then disagreeing with the OP would be saying "No", not "The west is unquestionably better."

Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,355,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would expect the east to be a lot more uniform looking than the west. Lots of trees, rolling hills, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, farms, villages, small towns, historic large cities, marshland, beaches...

Good post BigCityDreamer. After my initial post, I was trying to think why I have always found the West more interesting and I think you hit the nail on the head.

I remember about 15 years ago my my wife and daughter and I took a two week camping trip out West. We flew to Seattle and rented a Blazer to load all our camping gear (you could check two bags on the airline with no additional fees back then) and drove from Seattle down through Oregon, down into the Coastal Redwoods area of northern California, East through Oregon to Idaho, and then on to Flathead lake in Montana and then back through Northern Idaho and back through Washington on our way back to Seattle. We were going to go to Glacier NP, but at the time (June) some of the roads were still snowed over I was told....so we cancelled that part of the trip.

We spend the first night at a friends home in Seattle, spend one night at my sisters home in Vancouver Washington, then camped at Honeyman State Park in Oregon and then 3 nights in Del Norte Redwoods park near Crescent City California, then camped in Unity State Park in Oregon, then two or three nights in Ponderosa State park in Idaho, then on to Flat Head Lake (near Polson) Montana where we camped at Big Arm State Park for two nights, then on to Ferragut State Park in northen Idaho for a couple nights, and finally a straight shot back to Seattle and another night at my friends home before the trip back home. The sights and adventures we had on that trip were so memorable. I've always enjoyed showing my wife (who hadn't traveled much prior to our marriage) and 2 kids the sights of the good ol' USA.....although we've had some fun adventures in Mexico, Bahamas, Aruba and a couple Carribean cruises as well.

I remember Eastern Washington state being high desert country....and suddenly you crest the Cascade Mountains and within a few miles....you're back in lush vegitation. It was an absolutely amazing transformation in literally just a few short miles.

In Arizona, you can be swimming in your pool in Phoenix one day, and scrapping frost off your winshield the next morning in Flagstaff. We drove from Phoenix to Flagstaff one time in April to spend a few days up at/near the Grand Canyon. It was pool weather in Phoenix and much cooler, but pleasant in Flagstaff. We spent three days up there, and each morning were scrapping frost off the winshield in the morning. The day after we left (fortunately after we left), they got dumped on with 12 inches of snow. You can't get much more varied weather in one state from one area to another at the same time.

Last edited by jasper1372; 08-06-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Uh, how is it uniformly varied? That sounds like an oxymoron to me.

It can't be uniformly mountains and marshlands... those are distinct from each other. How can it be uniformly small towns and villages... AND large cities? Those are distinct from each other. How can it be uniformly beaches AND rolling hills... etc....

If you drive down the east coast from north to south, it is JUST as varied as the west coast. Yeah, so-cal is wildly different from the redwood forests and PNW rain-forests. But south Florida is wildly different from the north woods of Maine and the Piedmont.

The area around the Great Lakes is wildly different from Appalachia, which is wildly different from the swamps of Louisiana.

You can say the exact same thing you just said about the east, about the west. Just replace words like hills, lakes, marshland, etc... with mountains, deserts, cliffs, etc.... (All of which can be found in the east.)

If anything, I would say that the west is more uniform than the east. In reality, they are very similar in that regard.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,404,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
If anything, I would say that the west is more uniform than the east. In reality, they are very similar in that regard.
I think that even those who have been somewhat supportive of your views on this thread will agree that this is a shark-jumper.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I think that even those who have been somewhat supportive of your views on this thread will agree that this is a shark-jumper.
The west has more local variations in elevation in areas, it does not have that much more variation in types of geographic areas. As much of the east is farmland, the west has in desert. As much of the east is rolling hills, the west has in mountains.

It is not like the west is a mosaic of incredibly varied ecological regions and the east is one uniform one.

I can prove it too.

Draw a line right down the middle... notice that the ecological regions are smaller and more numerous on the east side of the line. And JUST like I said, they are rather similar in that regard...

Old 08-06-2014, 03:20 PM

15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
That is simply not true.

An ex-gf of mine who grew up in Santa Fe and was a ski instructor in Taos, NM and Crested Butte, CO for many years went back east on business and was impressed enough that she took a job with the Appalachian Mountain Club and now lives in New Hampshire and last I spoke with her she was thinking of moving to the Adirondacks in New York.

Also, one of my best friends who was born and raised in the middle Rio Grande Valley and the Sangre de Cristo mountains went back east specifically for the environment. In fact, he went to Indiana of all places and considers it the most beautiful place in the country.

I respectfully disagree. What I don't get is why so many West lovers can't respectfully disagree and feel the need to prove that their conception of beauty is more valid than another's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or