U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,949,855 times
Reputation: 1858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is simply not true.

An ex-gf of mine who grew up in Santa Fe and was a ski instructor in Taos, NM and Crested Butte, CO for many years went back east on business and was impressed enough that she took a job with the Appalachian Mountain Club and now lives in New Hampshire and last I spoke with her she was thinking of moving to the Adirondacks in New York.

Also, one of my best friends who was born and raised in the middle Rio Grande Valley and the Sangre de Cristo mountains went back east specifically for the environment. In fact, he went to Indiana of all places and considers it the most beautiful place in the country.

I respectfully disagree. What I don't get is why so many West lovers can't respectfully disagree and feel the need to prove that their conception of beauty is more valid than another's.




This x 1000.

It is simply a matter of opinion, and it is annoying when people from either side consider their opinion "right" and the opinions of those who disagree to be "wrong".

 
Old 08-06-2014, 04:14 PM
 
215 posts, read 304,310 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Nobody is travelling out east to experience nature and beauty.
Suuure


Nobody heads east to visit New England in the Fall or Winter even, or Niagara Falls, or the Finger Lakes/Adirondacks, The Jersey Shore etc etc
 
Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 PM
 
605 posts, read 1,239,385 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is simply not true.

An ex-gf of mine who grew up in Santa Fe and was a ski instructor in Taos, NM and Crested Butte, CO for many years went back east on business and was impressed enough that she took a job with the Appalachian Mountain Club and now lives in New Hampshire and last I spoke with her she was thinking of moving to the Adirondacks in New York.

Also, one of my best friends who was born and raised in the middle Rio Grande Valley and the Sangre de Cristo mountains went back east specifically for the environment. In fact, he went to Indiana of all places and considers it the most beautiful place in the country.

I respectfully disagree. What I don't get is why so many West lovers can't respectfully disagree and feel the need to prove that their conception of beauty is more valid than another's.

I agree that the east coast has some beautiful areas. However I think you will find that the VAST majority of people who love the outdoors will gravitate towards Western States and Provinces. I think your Ex-Gf is the exception, and not the rule.

You will be hard pressed to find many avid skiiers, hikers, mountaineers, climbers, etc... who are interested in living on the eastern edge of North America.

This is not denying the fact that the east coast has beautiful places.

Simply put, those who are looking to live in a major city, and still enjoy the outdoors as a serious enthusiast is not going to pick Atlanta, DC, New York etc... over places like Denver, Portland, Salt Lake City, Seattle etc... The natural beauty surrounding western cities compared to the east coast is night and day.

Not even a comparison.
 
Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,125,294 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Suuure


Nobody heads east to visit New England in the Fall or Winter even, or Niagara Falls, or the Finger Lakes/Adirondacks, The Jersey Shore etc etc
The Jersey Shore is more of a provincial place. Not many people outside of the Northeast really head to the beaches out there. Sure, some do. But not many. A good argument for someone going out East for a beautiful beach would be Florida. If someone is heading out East for beauty, it is to Niagara Falls or Florida, for the most part.

On the other hand, the West gets people flocking from all over the country-and world-to the beaches in California and Hawaii. The same can't really be said for Jersey Shore.
 
Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,606 posts, read 14,394,633 times
Reputation: 23671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The Jersey Shore is more of a provincial place. Not many people outside of the Northeast really head to the beaches out there. Sure, some do. But not many. A good argument for someone going out East for a beautiful beach would be Florida. If someone is heading out East for beauty, it is to Niagara Falls or Florida, for the most part.

On the other hand, the West gets people flocking from all over the country-and world-to the beaches in California and Hawaii. The same can't really be said for Jersey Shore.
Where do you see the Virgin Islands in all this?
Not to mention tons of people clogging the northeast and upper midwest for leaf peeping tours every autumn.
 
Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 PM
 
46 posts, read 52,724 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Uh, how is it uniformly varied? That sounds like an oxymoron to me.

It can't be uniformly mountains and marshlands... those are distinct from each other. How can it be uniformly small towns and villages... AND large cities? Those are distinct from each other. How can it be uniformly beaches AND rolling hills... etc....

If you drive down the east coast from north to south, it is JUST as varied as the west coast. Yeah, so-cal is wildly different from the redwood forests and PNW rain-forests. But south Florida is wildly different from the north woods of Maine and the Piedmont.

The area around the Great Lakes is wildly different from Appalachia, which is wildly different from the swamps of Louisiana.

You can say the exact same thing you just said about the east, about the west. Just replace words like hills, lakes, marshland, etc... with mountains, deserts, cliffs, etc.... (All of which can be found in the east.)


If anything, I would say that the west is more uniform than the east. In reality, they are very similar in that regard.
Hahaha! This made me lol. Ill agree that both the west and east are beautiful in their own right but trying to say the west is more uniform than the east is outrageous. Pick yours battles wisely. I doubt anyone from the west is going to claim that they have better rolling hills than the east and for good reason.
 
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM
 
46 posts, read 52,724 times
Reputation: 41
And I think this link shows you just how naturally diverse one state on the west coast is... when you put them all together it really is amazing the amount of beauty the west has. Not that the east isnt... just not as much imo

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sebastiana2/...-1yiw?s=mobile
 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,949,855 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchambers13 View Post
Hahaha! This made me lol. Ill agree that both the west and east are beautiful in their own right but trying to say the west is more uniform than the east is outrageous. Pick yours battles wisely. I doubt anyone from the west is going to claim that they have better rolling hills than the east and for good reason.
Derp. I proved my point with a map. Heck, they 7th largest state is almost all one single eco-region. I stand by my point because it is 100% factually true. The west has more variation of elevation, it does NOT have more variation of eco-regions. Period.

Your point is backed with a photo tour... mine is backed by the actually classified ecological regions....
 
Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 PM
 
12,699 posts, read 10,562,425 times
Reputation: 17634
Xander_Crews is actually right. The question is not "which is prettier, east or west?" the question is essentially "is there anyone who finds the east more beautiful than the west?" Answering by boosting the west is not actually answering the question. And answering that the west is more beautiful "without question" or "hands down" is especially not really contributing to the thread. If you think the answer to the actual question is "no," just say it. No need to turn this thread into something it is not asking, and as a general statement don't be so shocked or offended if someone DOES think the east is more beautiful. They are allowed to. There is no right answer to the "which is prettier" question. Beauty is completely subjective.
 
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,606 posts, read 14,394,633 times
Reputation: 23671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchambers13 View Post
And I think this link shows you just how naturally diverse one state on the west coast is... when you put them all together it really is amazing the amount of beauty the west has. Not that the east isnt... just not as much imo

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sebastiana2/...-1yiw?s=mobile
Diversity in a single state, hmmm....I'll see your bet and raise you
http://3479.jpg
http://4428.jpg
http://Kayakers.jpg
https://z.jpg?zz=1
http://i.dailymail.co.uk964x535.jpg
http://3376.jpg
http://www.upnorthlive.com.jpg
http://.jpg

It's just as bad to say the east is little more than rolling green hills than it is too say the west is all arid, is it not? Can we not agree that both areas have a lot of diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top