U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times

Advertisements

So I guess the answer to the question posed by the topic is 'No'. That no one finds the East more beautiful than the West as has been made abundantly clear and that those who claim otherwise are dishonest or statistical anomalies.

I am going to clear out of this thread before the winners of the incipient contest introduced by our pro-West participants begin their celebratory circle jerk.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,486,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So I guess the answer to the question posed by the topic is 'No'. That no one finds the East more beautiful than the West as has been made abundantly clear and that those who claim otherwise are dishonest or statistical anomalies.

I am going to clear out of this thread before the winners of the incipient contest introduced by our pro-West participants begin their celebratory circle jerk.
If you were half as assured in your opinion as you claim, would would you give a crap?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:52 AM

46 posts, read 52,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Diversity in a single state, hmmm....I'll see your bet and raise you
http://3479.jpg
http://4428.jpg
http://Kayakers.jpg
https://z.jpg?zz=1
http://i.dailymail.co.uk964x535.jpg
http://3376.jpg
http://www.upnorthlive.com.jpg
http://.jpg

It's just as bad to say the east is little more than rolling green hills than it is too say the west is all arid, is it not? Can we not agree that both areas have a lot of diversity?
Well they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the earlier post that you didn't quote I was just trying to say that each region has their own pros and cons and some types of scenery are better on the west coast and some on the east. But I think the reason the west coast gets so much more hype is that there are dozens upon dozens of places you can go that are utterly jawdropping while the east only had a few.. niagra falls.. maybe the catskills or adironacks?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:19 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,486,883 times

Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,942,704 times
Without context, I must ask why this map is being posted....

Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,518,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

There have been people who have genuinely answered yes.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM

17,268 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
You will be hard pressed to find many avid skiiers, hikers, mountaineers, climbers, etc... who are interested in living on the eastern edge of North America.
Probably not as much as in the west, but all those activities are very abundant in many eastern states. The highest mountains go up to nearly 7000 ft. (look up the Smokey Mountains).

Since the eastern U.S. is the most densely populated part of the nation, of course many people find their way to these and many other outdoor activities nearby.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 23 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchambers13 View Post
Well they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the earlier post that you didn't quote I was just trying to say that each region has their own pros and cons and some types of scenery are better on the west coast and some on the east. But I think the reason the west coast gets so much more hype is that there are dozens upon dozens of places you can go that are utterly jawdropping while the east only had a few.. niagra falls.. maybe the catskills or adironacks?
Yeah, perception is everything and I think there are more than just a few utterly jaw dropping places in the east, while a lot of places in the west that others consider to be beautiful simply leave me cold. I really think swamps, trees dripping with spanish moss, etc are utterly mysterious and beautiful, the white sand beaches and turquoise waters of the Gulf are stunning. Not so much into earth tones, rocky vistas, and alien looking plant forms, but that's just me.
BTW the pics I posted are all from MI and I mean really, how often do you see icebergs on a lake in JUNE? That's some pretty amazing stuff IMO.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchambers13 View Post
This right here proves that you completely miss the point. You CAN NOT quantify what people find "utterly jawdropping". You can't do it, can't be done. Period.

This is what people have been trying to tell you guys the entire thread through.

People can find things that you think are boring and mundane, "utterly jawdropping", and vice versa. You can't put a number on it and say the west has more...

Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,102,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Where do you see the Virgin Islands in all this?
Not to mention tons of people clogging the northeast and upper midwest for leaf peeping tours every autumn.
I'm talking states, not territories. If we included territories, I'd include Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands for the East (even though regionally, it's still debatable), and include Guam and American Samoa for the West (which is also debatable for the region).

Sure, there are leaf-peeping tours...but not many people go on those. You can see the leaves turning color in your own backyard out here. And I'm sure there are leaf-peeping tours up in the Pacific Northwest as well, so...back to my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or