U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)

10,503 posts, read 14,330,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm talking states, not territories. If we included territories, I'd include Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands for the East (even though regionally, it's still debatable), and include Guam and American Samoa for the West (which is also debatable for the region).

Sure, there are leaf-peeping tours...but not many people go on those. You can see the leaves turning color in your own backyard out here. And I'm sure there are leaf-peeping tours up in the Pacific Northwest as well, so...back to my point.
Where do you get the idea that not many people go on leaf peeping tours? We always get threads on this in the TN forum, and the tourism it creates is a pretty hefty deal for areas like GSMNP. To the point that locals will stay away from certain heavily traveled roads during peak season. I am pretty sure the northeast and the upper midwest also do a brisk business in the fall too.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,232,236 times
Natural beauty: West > East

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,942,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Oh look, another person who either didn't read the OP or got offended by the FACT that neither can be quantified as better and it is completely in the eye of the beholder. (and many people find the east to be more beautiful.)

Old 08-07-2014, 10:30 AM

556 posts, read 632,469 times
Quote:
You forgot about the jersey shore and Niagara Falls. They draw millions upon millions every year.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,232,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Oh look, another person who either didn't read the OP or got offended by the FACT that neither can be quantified as better and it is completely in the eye of the beholder. (and many people find the east to be more beautiful.)
...except I moved form an eastern state commonly regarded as beautiful (and it is beautiful in many ways) to California.

I know what I speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
You forgot about the jersey shore and Niagara Falls. They draw millions upon millions every year.
I'm sure the shore in South Jersey is fine, but it's still probably not anything I can't find in the Outer Banks of NC. North Jersey shore is urbanized like the Southern California coastline, except it doesn't have all the cool coastal cliffs and majestic scenery that California has.

Now I'll give you Niagara Falls, I agree. Especially in the rarity that it freezes over in winter. The West doesn't offer that, and it's quite a sight.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:39 AM

556 posts, read 632,469 times
I hope you knew that was sarcasm

Old 08-07-2014, 11:39 AM

17,253 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Quote:
Large residential populations in the east mean that a lot of people visit the beaches each summer. For example, this is Ocean City, Maryland:

http://shorebread.com/wp-content/upl...-Populated.jpg

http://www.grouptravellist.com/wp-co...1404141551.jpg

Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,942,274 times
Quote:
...except I moved form an eastern state commonly regarded as beautiful (and it is beautiful in many ways) to California.

I know what I speak of.
Doesn't mean that one place can possibly be quantified as more beautiful than another....

Quote:
I'm sure the shore in South Jersey is fine, but it's still probably not anything I can't find in the Outer Banks of NC. North Jersey shore is urbanized like the Southern California coastline, except it doesn't have all the cool coastal cliffs and majestic scenery that California has.

Now I'll give you Niagara Falls, I agree. Especially in the rarity that it freezes over in winter. The West doesn't offer that, and it's quite a sight.
I am simply saying that it is impossible to state that one is more beautiful than the other and regard it as fact. (without being intellectually dishonest.)

Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM

370 posts, read 884,576 times
Two different kinds of beauty IMO. Pastoral vs. grand. Cozy vs sprawling. The rolling farmland valleys vs the rocky canyons. Grass covered dunes vs. daunting cliffs. I know it defeats the purpose of this entire forum but there's no way to say one is more beautiful than another... beauty is a very subjective thing.

Edit: I almost forgot 4 seasons vs. 2.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:25 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
I hope you knew that was sarcasm
Aren't you hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or