U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 PM

12,684 posts, read 10,505,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
This thread keeps me entertained during the work day here in the beautiful southWEST
Congratulations, I'm glad you feel superior.

Would you be as offended as you are arrogant if someone told you they find the desert you reside in ugly?

It's not right to make fun of or dismiss Eastern areas, or anywhere really. Niagara Falls and the Jersey Shore ARE tourist magnets - maybe not for you in AZ, but then again I've never been to Arizona so it's not like EVERYONE goes to Arizona either (I do want to go, though). You may find AZ or the west more beautiful, and you are entitled to that. But why laugh at other areas, or other opinions? As it's been stated time and time again, there is no right or wrong answer. Beauty is subjective. There is also a strong correlation, IMO, between where one lives and what they find beautiful. AKA - bias.

I really don't understand the apparent western mentality in this thread of superiority and believing you (you, collectively) are correct in your own definition of beauty. We know the west has
dramatic scenery. It is larger, more expansive, and less populated as it was settled last historically and less people have always populated it. There is more open land and more protected land, simply because of how this country formed. But that doesn't mean this whole country isn't beautiul and that people aren't allowed to prefer the east over the west. I think some people here need to just grow up. As it's also been stated before, we are fortunate to live in such a large, beautiful country with lots of diversity. We should be getting along and be open to all places rather than arguing east versus west.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM

556 posts, read 632,035 times
I wouldnt be offended at all if somebody 'insulted' the desert area that I live in. Thats the great thing about the desert, the heat keeps away anybody who truly doesnt want to be here.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
I wouldnt be offended at all if somebody 'insulted' the desert area that I live in. Thats the great thing about the desert, the heat keeps away anybody who truly doesnt want to be here.
Dry heat's not that bad though. At least not in the shade.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
If you were half as assured in your opinion as you claim, would would you give a crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There have been people who have genuinely answered yes.
True, but every four posts there is one making the same one-sided comment that has nothing to do with the premise of the thread and I feel my rebuttals are becoming repetitive and redundant. I am getting tired of typing the same thing over and over again.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,096,781 times
Quote:
Dry heat's not that bad though. At least not in the shade.
That is a common misconception. I have sat in the shade in 110F. Still feels WAY too hot. And the Desert Southwest also gets the humid monsoon season for much of summer, so it is really not that dry.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM

556 posts, read 632,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
That is a common misconception. I have sat in the shade in 110F. Still feels WAY too hot. And the Desert Southwest also gets the humid monsoon season for much of summer, so it is really not that dry.
The desert is hot is a general rule of thumb

Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 PM

215 posts, read 303,135 times
Quote:
Congratulations, I'm glad you feel superior.

Would you be as offended as you are arrogant if someone told you they find the desert you reside in ugly?

It's not right to make fun of or dismiss Eastern areas, or anywhere really. Niagara Falls and the Jersey Shore ARE tourist magnets - maybe not for you in AZ, but then again I've never been to Arizona so it's not like EVERYONE goes to Arizona either (I do want to go, though). You may find AZ or the west more beautiful
It's funny how subjective this all is. This California news writer chose New York as one of his top 5 prettiest states, and Arizona as one of the ugliest! The 5 Prettiest states in the nation - San Francisco International Travel | Examiner.com I am not saying I agree with that mind you, but for the Arizona poster who smugly mocked NY/NJ, it's kind of amusing.

For the record I have been to Az. My grandparents lived in Tucson, and I have friends in Phoenix. The mountains are nice, the cactus is cool, but it's not my cup of tea personally. I like water, and greenery, and it was lacking in both. I also preferred Tucson to Phoenix. Anyway, the heart of the matter is it's all subjective! Blows my mind that so many people think their opinion is fact!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
It's funny how subjective this all is. This California news writer chose New York as one of his top 5 prettiest states, and Arizona as one of the ugliest! The 5 Prettiest states in the nation - San Francisco International Travel | Examiner.com I am not saying I agree with that mind you, but for the Arizona poster who smugly mocked NY/NJ, it's kind of amusing.

For the record I have been to Az. My grandparents lived in Tucson, and I have friends in Phoenix. The mountains are nice, the cactus is cool, but it's not my cup of tea personally. I like water, and greenery, and it was lacking in both. I also preferred Tucson to Phoenix. Anyway, the heart of the matter is it's all subjective! Blows my mind that so many people think their opinion is fact!
Exactly! Nail on the head, good post.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
True, but every four posts there is one making the same one-sided comment that has nothing to do with the premise of the thread and I feel my rebuttals are becoming repetitive and redundant. I am getting tired of typing the same thing over and over again.
I get it.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:05 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Arizona is not so bad to me. I find the Ponderosa forests around Flagstaff to be my favorite in the country.

The Grand Canyon on the other hand... meh. It is awesome in the literal sense of the word, but not beautiful by my standards. Give it 50+ inches of rain per year for a couple thousand years and I might change my mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or