U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,496 posts, read 14,325,180 times
Reputation: 23299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Arizona is not so bad to me. I find the Ponderosa forests around Flagstaff to be my favorite in the country.

The Grand Canyon on the other hand... meh. It is awesome in the literal sense of the word, but not beautiful by my standards. Give it 50+ inches of rain per year for a couple thousand years and I might change my mind!
I was think about something similar today. People look at the Grand Canyon and are awed by this great big hole in the ground, but show them the largest lake in North America (4th largest in the world) and it's like, meh...so what!

 
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Reputation: 13018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I was think about something similar today. People look at the Grand Canyon and are awed by this great big hole in the ground, but show them the largest lake in North America (4th largest in the world) and it's like, meh...so what!
Let's be honest. There is hardly anything that looks like the Grand Canyon. It is pretty unique in the world.

And BTW, yes I've been there, to the South Rim. And yes it is worth visiting (if by some chance, anyone was wondering). Painted Desert also.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Let's be honest. There is hardly anything that looks like the Grand Canyon. It is pretty unique in the world.

And BTW, yes I've been there, to the South Rim. And yes it is worth visiting (if by some chance, anyone was wondering). Painted Desert also.
I disagree. Absolutely and Completely.

Large Canyons are not that rare. The Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon in Tibet is longer than the Grand Canyon, and over twice as deep. The Kali Gandaki Gorge in midwest Nepal is almost 4 times as deep.

Copper Canyon in Chihuahua, Mexico is deeper and longer than the Grand Canyon.

Breaks Canyon in Kentucky and Virginia is a rather impressive canyon in the Eastern United States.

Some people consider Lakes Michigan and Huron to be one lake, hydrologically, they have a point. This gives the east half of the country not only the largest fresh water lake in the world by surface area, but also the second and tenth as well.

If you consider them separate lakes, the eastern half of the United States has the largest freshwater lake in the world, and the third, and fourth, and eleventh....

That is more unique than having one canyon that ranks among the largest but isn't the largest, or second, or third... To have most of the largest (including the largest) fresh water lakes in one location is more special.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM
 
Location: bend oregon
929 posts, read 844,258 times
Reputation: 351
Oregon and California would be so much nicer if there wasn't so many cars. What makes the east coast nice is there's subways and nice beaches close by.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:43 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,485,422 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I disagree. Absolutely and Completely.

Large Canyons are not that rare. The Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon in Tibet is longer than the Grand Canyon, and over twice as deep. The Kali Gandaki Gorge in midwest Nepal is almost 4 times as deep.

Copper Canyon in Chihuahua, Mexico is deeper and longer than the Grand Canyon.

Breaks Canyon in Kentucky and Virginia is a rather impressive canyon in the Eastern United States.

Some people consider Lakes Michigan and Huron to be one lake, hydrologically, they have a point. This gives the east half of the country not only the largest fresh water lake in the world by surface area, but also the second and tenth as well.

If you consider them separate lakes, the eastern half of the United States has the largest freshwater lake in the world, and the third, and fourth, and eleventh....

That is more unique than having one canyon that ranks among the largest but isn't the largest, or second, or third... To have most of the largest (including the largest) fresh water lakes in one location is more special.
That opinion ranks as marvel in its own right.

North America | Seven Natural Wonders
 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That opinion ranks as marvel in its own right.

North America | Seven Natural Wonders
Also, 7 Natural Wonders of the World: Grand Canyon | Seven Natural Wonders | Seven Natural Wonders
 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:57 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That opinion ranks as marvel in its own right.

North America | Seven Natural Wonders
So some people voted for it... nothing I said was false. The fact remains, scientifically, nothing really sets the Grand Canyon apart... but a lot sets the Great Lakes apart.

My post is based on facts, yours is based on opinion voting...

The Grand Canyon is still NOT the largest canyon in the world or unique in in it's size... but the Great Lakes absolutely are.

Also, the voting was done mostly by people in developed nations, voting for their favorite places... I wonder how many people from Tibet or Nepal where the largest canyons actually exists voted in the poll.

LOL! Did more reading... From Wikipedia about your list:

Quote:
Similar to the other lists of wonders, there is no consensus on a list of seven natural wonders of the world, and there has been debate over how large the list should be. One of the many existing lists was compiled by CNN
Quote:
New7Wonders of Nature (2007–11), a contemporary effort to create a list of seven natural wonders chosen through a global poll, was organized by the same group as the New7Wonders of the World campaign.
Iguazu Falls
Jeju Island
Komodo Island
Puerto Princesa Underground River
Table Mountain
Halong Bay
Amazon Rainforest
Oops....

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 08-08-2014 at 01:05 PM..
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Reputation: 2895
7 Natural Wonders of the World from the first 6 Google entries, Grand Canyon on all of them, all different sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Natural_Wonders_(CNN)
Grand Canyon | Seven Natural Wonders | Seven Natural Wonders
The Seven Natural Wonders Of The World
The Seven Wonders of the Natural World
The Seven Wonders of the World Complete List
The 7 Natural Wonders of the World | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Great Lakes on none.

Look, I live on the Great Lakes and love it here, but you're just embarassing yourself! It's evident to everyone except you!!
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,485,422 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Oops....
Pretty much.

The percentage of people from around the globe who’d characterize the Great Lakes as “more special” than the Grand Canyon would barely exceed the margin of error. And many of them would be truly “special” And when a disproportionate amount of that same group also claims to prefer the Great Smokey Mountains to the Redwoods, the Appalachians to the Rockies, the Everglades to Yellowstone, to Niagara to Yosemite, or the Outer Banks to Big Sur, it becomes more than suspect.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
7 Natural Wonders of the World from the first 6 Google entries, Grand Canyon on all of them, all different sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Natural_Wonders_(CNN)
Grand Canyon | Seven Natural Wonders | Seven Natural Wonders
The Seven Natural Wonders Of The World
The Seven Wonders of the Natural World
The Seven Wonders of the World Complete List
The 7 Natural Wonders of the World | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Great Lakes on none.

Look, I live on the Great Lakes and love it here, but you're just embarassing yourself! It's evident to everyone except you!!
LOL! You are embarassing yourself.

Let me bold this so maybe you actually read it:

I NEVER SAID THAT IT WASN'T POPULAR ENOUGH TO BE PUT ON LISTS. I SAID IT'S SIZE IS FAR FROM UNIQUE AND I PROVED IT WITH HARD NUMBERS.

I love how you guys just make up claims and attach them to other posters so that you can argue with the false position. I never said it wasn't popular...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top