U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 PM

556 posts, read 632,035 times

Advertisements

All one must do is look at the national parks in the west and then compare them to the east. As state before, the west is so varied in elevation that nearly every biome is represented. Yellowstone, Crater Lake, Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, Redwood, channel islands...the list goes on and on. Oh, the east has pretty foliage.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
All one must do is look at the national parks in the west and then compare them to the east. As state before, the west is so varied in elevation that nearly every biome is represented. Yellowstone, Crater Lake, Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, Redwood, channel islands...the list goes on and on. Oh, the east has pretty foliage.
As does parts of the West. Up here in Northeast WA we get some pretty bright fall colors, which really contrast nicely with the surrounding evergreen forests. It's not as across-the-board spectacular as Northern New England or upstate New York, but it's amazing enough. Some of the trees are already starting to change colors right now.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
Never been to the West Coast. but judging from pictures i would say that objectively the East doesn't have the same natural beauty that the West does. However i like East Coast architecture, housing styles and residential neighborhoods better, from an aesthetic standpoint.

I like the East coast vibe better, as well. I would take a Nantucket beach over a Malibu beach any day. Dunes, picket fence, weathered shingles and an adirondack chair overlooking the calm Atlantic VS. rows of glass beach mansions, palm trees and feisty, noisy waves.

Check out this picture of a sunset i snapped in Sand Point, Long island just this Sunday.

Thats beauty in my book. Oh, and #nofilter
That might your shape your opinion of it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ets-hb-001.jpg

Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,871,388 times
Give me Minnesota down to Tennessee... You can have the rest.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,965,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Rural parts of back east can be more uniformly pretty with the greenery, hills, and it's peppered with pretty bucolic villages and towns. It's nicer than many of the empty and featureless parts of the west in between all the natural superlatives. One thing I like the most out west though is the sky. The deep blue cobalt skies and incredible sunsets and open spaces are inspiring and can't be matched. The tree canopy back east can make me feel hemmed in, you just don't see the sky as much back there. The West's natural superlatives give me an awe-struck feeling that no where back east can really get close to, but back east has a lot of tranquil beauty. I like the pastoral landscapes where it opens up a little in parts of Vermont and Pennsylvania. The constant tree canopy driving through other states back east can get a bit dull as there isn't really anything to look at.
I second this. I am fortunate to live on a mountain that I can see New Mexico, Old Mexico and Texas. The openness is something that I miss when traveling back East.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
For me personally, the "lushness" arguments don't do it for me enough to sway me towards the east-coast. I echo Nep's sentiments about how bland and boring the endless tree canopy can get on the East coast. The only real variation that happens on the east-coast is the variation of elevation and the different species of trees. Driving on I-95 from Jacksonville to Boston, won't give you the same variation that driving on PCH from LA to SF would give you. Heck, I'll take it further and say the drive on I-95 from Jacksonville to Boston won't give you the same variation as I'd imagine a drive on I-10 from San Bernardino to Santa Monica would give you. In other words, I think the West gives you more variation in a shorter amount of land then the East-coast does. When one says "the east coast has Key West and Niagara Falls on one coast" it could easily be countered with the west having Death Valley and the Snowy San Bernardino mountains in one area of one state. Before folks jump on me, I'm not saying YOU should feel the same way I do, nor do I think you're crazy and whacked out for finding the Eastern US more beautiful, I'm just giving my personal perspective of beauty. Just being green isn't good enough for me personally. But even then, Oregon, Washington, and CA have areas of their states that are heavily forested and green with hours of drive of deserts, beaches, etc. Northern CA and the Pacific Northwest are famous, famous for their majestic forested areas. The California Redwoods can go toe-to-toe with any forested area in the Appalachians. Hell, the Pacific have mountainous Forrest that touch their beaches and their coast. This is something you won't find in the East. There just isn't much in the East that couldn't be found out west in terms of natural scenery. The only parts of the East that can go toe-to-toe with the West in terms of natural beauty, are the areas of the East that generate revenue in tourist dollars partly based on their natural beauty(Florida's beaches, Niagara Falls, National Parks in the Appalachians, etc) Outside of that, I'm can't go with the East on this one.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,151,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I wouldn't really say the West is more diverse. The only true advantage it has is mountains. Most of the west is sagebrush steppe or mountains covered in coniferous/aspen forest. It also lacks the vast wetlands and stuff you find back East.
The west is a lot more diverse than the east imo. Desert (Arizona, California, Nevada), Great Plains (Colorado, Wyoming), Rain Forrest (Pacific NW), Alpine forest (Rockies, Sierras, ect), Tropics (Hawaii), Arctic Tundra (Alaska).

Old 09-20-2014, 06:07 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,956,582 times
The East Coast has a more serene beauty to it than the west. Like Nantucket island in Massachusettes or Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire. Those types of places simply do not exist anywhere in the west.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:07 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,124,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The East Coast has a more serene beauty to it than the west. Like Nantucket island in Massachusettes or Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire. Those types of places simply do not exist anywhere in the west.
False.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,196,013 times
Does anyone else here enjoy places for what they are? I mean I do. I was hoping to not be in the minority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or