U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The East Coast has a more serene beauty to it than the west. Like Nantucket island in Massachusettes or Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire. Those types of places simply do not exist anywhere in the west.
Not true. Some examples that come to mind are Point Reyes, the San Juan Islands, Lake Tahoe/Fallen Leaf Lake, Mendocino, Big Bear Lake, and practically the whole Oregon Coast. In fact I would say all of these places are more serene because there are less people.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:03 AM

447 posts, read 463,216 times
I've not left the west and I love it parts of it anyway yellowstone feels like the closest you can get to heaven. Idaho is amazing. The whole Pacific Northwest is. california blows the mind. That said I've always had a thing for New England especially in the fall or winter

Old 09-22-2014, 04:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,445,904 times
I think the Appalachians are every bit as beautiful as the mountains out west. Beautiful in a different way, of course.

I think the natural areas of the eastern US are underutilized as far as National Parks are concerned. It was easy to make parks out west, since much of the land was government owned to begin with and what wasn't had fewer owners that had to be negotiated with. It was a fierce political struggle just to establish the Great Smoky Mountains as a park.

Linville Gorge, The Black Mountains, the White Mountains, the Adirondacks, and Katahdin are no less deserving of park status than many places out west that currently enjoy it, but they're all served either by national forests or state parks, so their fame at a national and international level is diminished. Also, the Red River Gorge in TN and KY, which has arched terrain much like Utah.

The western states are beautiful for their vast open expanses and extremes of topography. The eastern states are beautiful for their lushness and color, and the contrast of the rugged areas to the gentle ones. Overall, there's more out west. But what the east has is seriously underrated.

Last edited by Vatnos; 09-22-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 04:46 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post

The western states are beautiful for their vast open expanses and extremes of topography. The eastern states are beautiful for their lushness and color, and the contrast of the rugged areas to the gentle ones. Overall, there's more out west. But what the east has is seriously underrated.
Yeah I think what's a bit irritating to me is when people act like every single part of the West is amazing and gorgeous and the East has no nature at all. That's ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sorry, but the west has, and always will have better sunsets, its just the name of the game.

There is absolutely nothing more spectacular than a Arizona sunset, watching the brown mountains turn vivid red, then purple, with the skies burning in brilliant oranges and reds and yellows, silhouetted against jagged peaks that are covered in Saguaro cacti. Heres just a few Ive capture on my crap cell phone camera.
Lol, just another person from the west stating their opinion as fact... yet there is nothing quantifiable that says the west has better sunsets... at all.

You can not state as fact that one is better than the other.... so you are wrong.

(Not to mention that this thread never asks for anyone's opinion on whether the east or west is more beautiful, and the last thing it asks for is for people from the west to come into the thread and tell people who prefer the east how wrong they are.

This thread doesn't claim the east is more beautiful, it just asks about people who find it to be more attractive. I don't understand why people from the west are getting insecure and/or offended that not everyone agrees with them... and then acting all militant trying to change their minds. )

Old 09-23-2014, 06:55 PM

12,660 posts, read 10,501,376 times
It IS true, though, as it's been pointed out already numerous times, that the question asks "does anyone else find the east more beautiful than the west?" not "which is more beautiful?" It is a yes or not question.

Anyone who responds saying something like "no question the west is the most beautiful part of the country" is both not answering the question and sort of derailing the thread. It does seem like a pathetically insecure response to a yes or no question. Or maybe it's self-righteous. It's fine if you think the answer is no... but just say it. The answer is "no" if you think the west is by far the most beautiful. That's all.

What's frustrating is the condescending responses this question has been getting when the answer to "no" should simply be "no." Not something like "absolutely no question the west is SO much more beautiful."

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It IS true, though, as it's been pointed out already numerous times, that the question asks "does anyone else find the east more beautiful than the west?" not "which is more beautiful?" It is a yes or not question.

Anyone who responds saying something like "no question the west is the most beautiful part of the country" is both not answering the question and sort of derailing the thread. It does seem like a pathetically insecure response to a yes or no question. Or maybe it's self-righteous. It's fine if you think the answer is no... but just say it. The answer is "no" if you think the west is by far the most beautiful. That's all.

What's frustrating is the condescending responses this question has been getting when the answer to "no" should simply be "no." Not something like "absolutely no question the west is SO much more beautiful."
Exactly.

There is no problem with saying "No, I find the west to be more attractive."

It becomes an issue when people who prefer the west say things to the people who prefer the east, such as: "No, the west is clearly more beautiful, anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong." and similar statements. They are literally saying that it is a fact that their opinion is valid and those who prefer the east's opinions are invalid.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:46 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Yeah I think what's a bit irritating to me is when people act like every single part of the West is amazing and gorgeous and the East has no nature at all. That's ridiculous.
Where has anyone on this thread (or in real life) ever said this? Can you point to even a single example?

I think it's true that eastern nature is underappreciated, and I think it's true that western nature includes vast wastelands. That said, I think it's pretty clear that there is more awe-inspiring nature in the west than in the east. I don't know many people who travel and would disagree with this. There are also way less people, and thus way more unspoiled nature, out west.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:09 AM

118 posts, read 149,212 times
Default Lol

[quote=Padajo;35787585]PA is very pretty but I actually think NC is the prettiest state on the east coast.

You haven't been around the east very much then. Western Virginia is by far more beautiful than NC.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,445,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddaline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padajo View Post
PA is very pretty but I actually think NC is the prettiest state on the east coast.
You haven't been around the east very much then. Western Virginia is by far more beautiful than NC.
Eh... I'm very skeptical of that. I would put NC, New York, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Maine over WV. I don't see much need to have a beauty contest between them; it would be close regardless. But those states have taller mountains and they have coastlines. I'll bite. What's the secret area in WV that makes you so confident of this? Because I can think of exceptional natural areas in all these other states.

Last edited by Vatnos; 09-24-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or