U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,940,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Just more east coast people boasting how great the east is because is has 'more people'.
Show me the quote where people are saying the east is great because it has more people.

(I am not an "east coast person" either, not even close.)

Quote:
Niagara is more impressive than the Grand Canyon? LOL. Niagara is a giant tourist trap. Ive seen Niagara. Pretty? Yes. Grand Canyon breathtaking? not even close.
Yeah, because you can quantify how breathtaking one thing is compared to another... Oh, wait, you can't because it is a matter of opinion.

If it is quantifiable and one can be scientifically established as more breathtaking... show me the figures.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 PM

1,296 posts, read 831,916 times
Quote:
Niagara vs Grand Canyon (177 miles long, 10 miles wide, 1 mile deep). Ok, buddy!
The Appalachian Trail. 2,160 miles long. With lots of things to see along the way, and you can walk all of it. Don't need a boat or a helicopter, it's free!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 18 days ago)

10,469 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Quote:
Just more east coast people boasting how great the east is because is has 'more people'. Niagara is more impressive than the Grand Canyon? LOL. Niagara is a giant tourist trap. Ive seen Niagara. Pretty? Yes. Grand Canyon breathtaking? not even close.
Hardly
Some of us don't care about 'more people', in fact maybe even despise 'more people' and decidedly don't think it means a place is better (in fact, think it makes a place worse)

However some of us just don't think that 'dramatic' means the same as 'better'.
Personally I don't care for the Rockies, I don't find them inviting or inspiring, just cold and aloof and not my thing. I don't care for dry, rocky, treeless, barren or scrubby looking either. That meas huge swaths of the west are unattractive to ME, and to others like me.
I like swamps, forests, rolling pastures, misty mornings, dew on the grass, etc.and yes I'll take waterfalls as more interesting than canyons anyday.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 PM

556 posts, read 631,611 times
but i like greenery

Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 PM

12,657 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
but i like greenery
What's up with the sarcasm? And the bitterness? Not everyone thinks the whole west is breathtakingly more gorgeous than the east... get over it. Your reaction is kind of pathetic.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What's up with the sarcasm? And the bitterness? Not everyone thinks the whole west is breathtakingly more gorgeous than the east... get over it. Your reaction is kind of pathetic.
Exactly. Get over it. Its just an opinion, not a fact. A fact such as that the west is far more beautiful than the east.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:02 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,783,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Hardly
Some of us don't care about 'more people', in fact maybe even despise 'more people' and decidedly don't think it means a place is better (in fact, think it makes a place worse)

However some of us just don't think that 'dramatic' means the same as 'better'.
Personally I don't care for the Rockies, I don't find them inviting or inspiring, just cold and aloof and not my thing. I don't care for dry, rocky, treeless, barren or scrubby looking either. That meas huge swaths of the west are unattractive to ME, and to others like me.
I like swamps, forests, rolling pastures, misty mornings, dew on the grass, etc.and yes I'll take waterfalls as more interesting than canyons anyday.
Yeah, the west doesn't have any waterfalls.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 PM

Nice shots, Tex!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,206,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Scenery out East can be exactly the same level of dramatic. It depends what you find drama in.
If someone said that they thought their quarter acre backyard in suburbia was as dramatic as most national parks, would you value their opinion or would you see their opinion as silly and biased? This is how I see people who try to claim that the East is as dramatic as the West. It's one thing to say that one prefers the scenery in the East, it's another thing to say it's more dramatic, that's just silly.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:31 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,940,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
If someone said that they thought their quarter acre backyard in suburbia was as dramatic as most national parks, would you value their opinion or would you see their opinion as silly and biased? This is how I see people who try to claim that the East is as dramatic as the West. It's one thing to say that one prefers the scenery in the East, it's another thing to say it's more dramatic, that's just silly.
Uh, I view your question as silly and biased. You are intentionally being ridiculous.

Some people find things on a molecular level to be more dramatic.

I think that you are silly and biased because you can't stand other people having a different opinion than you without belittling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or