U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,779,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Nice shots, Tex!
Those aren't mine. These are from wikipedia commons. If its commons, its ok to use in this context. Although I was at the last one, Havasu falls earlier this year. Beautiful. I do have my own pics of that falls, I just thought it would be easier to use a commons pic.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:03 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Exactly. Get over it. Its just an opinion, not a fact. A fact such as that the west is far more beautiful than the east.
You say it's an opinion, yet you just stated it's also a fact.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:13 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times
Yeah, we get it guys, the west has waterfalls too... you might find this mind-blowing, but the east has canyons too.

But the Grand Canyon is not the biggest canyon in the world, where as the east has the single biggest fresh water lake in the world... and the third, and the eleventh.

The west doesn't have anything that compares to the Great Lakes in terms of uniqueness.... because the Great Lakes are one of the most unique formations on the whole planet.

There are canyons in Mexico that are longer, wider, and deeper than the Grand Canyon.

The funny thing is, people who prefer the east, say that they personally prefer the east. The people who prefer the west say that it is factually more beautiful and try to convince the people who disagree with them that they are wrong.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 PM

899 posts, read 764,676 times
My take on the East versus West experience is this:
The West is like a live sex show. It is really interesting but you can't really participate. The environment can be downright hostile. There aren't many places in the East that can kill you just from being outside.

The East is like a glory hole. It isn't as dramatic but the experience is much better.

Those waterfalls pictured are incredible. Too bad you can't get very close to them, much less swim in their pools (that last one does look like it has a swimming hole).

The East is gracious, bountiful (water doesn't have to be piped in from 100's of miles away to grow things) and completely accessible. The wildlife is more abundant, the forest are alive with the sound of insects and many layers of vegetation. Everything just smells better (warm humid air and carries the scent of flowering and rotting vegetation).

Broad salt marshes are as beautiful as any desert (but smell better and are teeming, from under the water to the top of the canopy, with wildlife. Bird and insect noise really flesh out the experience of being outside. You cannot get that out west.

The number and width of our rivers far exceed anything out West (the West has longer rivers, but they look like our creeks and streams for most of their lengths). The bays in the East are prettier too (and again, completely accessible. Boating in SF is nice. Boating in MD (and FL, VA, NC, MA, NY, CT, DE etc) is better because when you get tired of looking at the water, you can jump in in and not die.

The light is prettier in the East. Humidity defuses light in a seductive way. In summer the air is blue. In fall it is golden. The dawn and evening sky in the winter is fuchsia.

The built environment is more beautiful in the East. No contest there !

Tobacco, peanut, cotton, corn and soybean fields are exquisite. Orange and apple groves too. Our vineyards look as nice as the West's too.

The layers of life, from the grass to the highest branches of the trees is inspiring and you don't have to go anywhere to experience it ( the cities and towns of the East are carved out of the forest, most Western cities are irrigated deserts). The air is moist and scented, full of life and sound. The Everglades, the rocky coast of Maine, the Great Lakes sandy beaches, Blue Ridge mountains, dense forest, marsh land and swamps are beautiful in every season (especially the fall and spring. I'm sorry that the West misses out on those season).

Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah, we get it guys, the west has waterfalls too... you might find this mind-blowing, but the east has canyons too.

But the Grand Canyon is not the biggest canyon in the world, where as the east has the single biggest fresh water lake in the world... and the third, and the eleventh.

The west doesn't have anything that compares to the Great Lakes in terms of uniqueness.... because the Great Lakes are one of the most unique formations on the whole planet.

There are canyons in Mexico that are longer, wider, and deeper than the Grand Canyon.

The funny thing is, people who prefer the east, say that they personally prefer the east. The people who prefer the west say that it is factually more beautiful and try to convince the people who disagree with them that they are wrong.
The Caspian Sea (considered a lake) is way larger than Lake Superior in area and volume. Both Baikal and Tanganyika are much larger in volume than any of the Great Lakes.

Here are some facts:

The West has the largest plant (Giant Sequoia), fungus (Honey Fungus, Armillaria solidipes) and animal in the world( Blue Whale, East has Blue Whales too).

The West has the largest land predator on earth(Polar Bear and Brown Bear).

The West has the largest mountain from base to peak both counting only above water (Denali) and below water too (Mauna Kea).

The West has the highest temperature ever recorded on earth (Death Valley 134 F).

The West has the highest range in highest and lowest temperature of anywhere on earth (214 F, more than any other country or region).

The West has a very large number of glaciers, the East has none.

The West has deserts, the East has none.

The West has a much lower population density than the East and contains one of the lowest density regions on earth (Alaska).

The West is part of the Ring of Fire, the East is not.

The West has active volcanoes the East does not.

The West has almost all the worlds biomes, one of the most biome diverse places in the world, the East has 2 or 3 biomes, much less.

The West has one of the largest canyons in the world, the East doesn't.

The West has the snowiest place on Earth (Mt Rainier).

The West has the second rainiest place on Earth (Hawaii's Mount Waialeale).

The West has much larger valleys than the East.

I could go on.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,969,311 times
West is better...not only are the landscapes more dramatic, but it isn't as congested. The beautiful places out east would be middle of the pack out west.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,452 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Seriously, who said there weren't waterfalls in the west? I said I prefer waterfalls to canyons, sheesh , way to twist things around.
Why do you guys get so upset that there are people who prefer the east to the west, why take it so personally? Does it threaten you somehow?
Bringing in population on a thread about finding beauty? Reaching.....

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-25-2014 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
The Caspian Sea (considered a lake) is way larger than Lake Superior in area and volume.
Not a freshwater lake.

Quote:
Both Baikal and Tanganyika are much larger in volume than any of the Great Lakes.
But not in area. The Grand Canyon is not the biggest canyon by ANY measurement.

Quote:
Here are some facts:

The West has the largest plant (Giant Sequoia), fungus (Honey Fungus, Armillaria solidipes) and animal in the world( Blue Whale, East has Blue Whales too).
Really, resorting to largest fungus?

Remember, I am on the side of "both places are extremely beautiful and everyone is entitled to their opinion of what they prefer", you are joining the side of "people who prefer the east are simply wrong".

Quote:
The West has the largest land predator on earth(Polar Bear and Brown Bear).
When did a conversation about scenery become about fauna?

Quote:
The West has the largest mountain from base to peak both counting only above water (Denali) and below water too (Mauna Kea).
See, if I wanted to get all pedantic like you, and use different measurements I could try to claim you were wrong and Everest is the tallest. When you look at freshwater lakes by area the east has the biggest, and third biggest, and fourth biggest, and eleventh biggest, and twelve biggest... all in one area.

Quote:
The West has the highest temperature ever recorded on earth (Death Valley 134 F).
And that is scenery?

Quote:
The West has the highest range in highest and lowest temperature of anywhere on earth (214 F, more than any other country or region).
And that is scenery?

Quote:
The West has a very large number of glaciers, the East has none.
The East has Oak savannas, west does not... point?

Quote:
The West has deserts, the East has none.
Ok? East has swamps, West doesn't.

Quote:
The West has a much lower population density than the East and contains one of the lowest density regions on earth (Alaska).
That is scenery? Some people prefer large, dense populations. (And the appearance of eastern cities.)

Quote:
The West is part of the Ring of Fire, the East is not.
Uh, so?

Quote:
The West has active volcanoes the East does not.
And people who prefer the East don't care....

Quote:
The West has almost all the worlds biomes, one of the most biome diverse places in the world, the East has 2 or 3 biomes, much less.
The east has more ecoregions.

Quote:
The West has one of the largest canyons in the world, the East doesn't.
Depends what your standards for "one of the largest" is and where the cutoff is. Again the East has MOST of the world's largest lakes.

Quote:
The West has the snowiest place on Earth (Mt Rainier).
Uh, everything I am reading says that is actually in Japan.

Quote:
The West has the second rainiest place on Earth (Hawaii's Mount Waialeale).
Now weather is scenery? The east has the most violent thunderstorms and Tornado Ally, the most common place on Earth for tornadoes... people chase them to look at them... never heard of a rain chaser.

Quote:
The West has much larger valleys than the East.

I could go on.
The East is far more lush... I could go on.

Lets not forget. My point is that both places are extremely beautiful and people are free to choose which is more attractive in their opinion. You are joining the side of people who are saying people who find the East more attractive are wrong. That they can't choose what they find attractive.

This thread IS NOT east vs. west. This has been said a thousand times now, it is not a competition for which is better... it is just that you guys from the west can't stand that other people prefer the East, so you come in here and try to prove us "wrong". Infantile behavior. (That also WREAKS of insecurity.)

Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
West is better IN MY OPINION...not only are the landscapes more dramatic, but it isn't as congested. The beautiful places out east would be middle of the pack out west.
You forgot to add something. I fixed it.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Not a freshwater lake.

You never specified it had to be freshwater.

But not in area. The Grand Canyon is not the biggest canyon by ANY measurement.

Never said it was.

Really, resorting to largest fungus?

Remember, I am on the side of "both places are extremely beautiful and everyone is entitled to their opinion of what they prefer", you are joining the side of "people who prefer the east are simply wrong".

I'm not talking about beauty, I'm talking about drama.

When did a conversation about scenery become about fauna?

Flora and fauna are part of scenery in my opinion.

See, if I wanted to get all pedantic like you, and use different measurements I could try to claim you were wrong and Everest is the tallest. When you look at freshwater lakes by area the east has the biggest, and third biggest, and fourth biggest, and eleventh biggest, and twelve biggest... all in one area.

You mean like what you are doing with the Great Lakes but even more so?

And that is scenery?

Yup.

And that is scenery?

Yup.

The East has Oak savannas, west does not... point?

The West absolutely does have Oak Savannas. You are wrong. Oak savanna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok? East has swamps, West doesn't.

Wrong again. Exploring Mangrove Swamps - Wilderness Classroom

That is scenery? Some people prefer large, dense populations. (And the appearance of eastern cities.)

It is related to scenery. When I go to a natural place I don't want to see people and houses everywhere.

Uh, so?

And people who prefer the East don't care....

The east has more ecoregions.

Once again, not true. Plus an ecoregion isn't as clear and distinct as a biome. Ecoregion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depends what your standards for "one of the largest" is and where the cutoff is. Again the East has MOST of the world's largest lakes.

Uh, everything I am reading says that is actually in Japan.

12 snowiest places on earth | Chicago Weather Watch

Now weather is scenery? The east has the most violent thunderstorms and Tornado Ally, the most common place on Earth for tornadoes... people chase them to look at them... never heard of a rain chaser.

Yup weather is related to scenery.

The East is far more lush... I could go on.

The West is lusher in places than the lushest places on the East.

Lets not forget. My point is that both places are extremely beautiful and people are free to choose which is more attractive in their opinion. You are joining the side of people who are saying people who find the East more attractive are wrong. That they can't choose what they find attractive.

If people were trying to say that the West has more Revolutionary War history than the East I would argue that they were wrong. Saying the East has more dramatic scenery is wrong.

This thread IS NOT east vs. west. This has been said a thousand times now, it is not a competition for which is better... it is just that you guys from the west can't stand that other people prefer the East, so you come in here and try to prove us "wrong". Infantile behavior. (That also WREAKS of insecurity.)
See Bold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or