U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,778,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
My take on the East versus West experience is this:
The West is like a live sex show. It is really interesting but you can't really participate. The environment can be downright hostile. There aren't many places in the East that can kill you just from being outside.

Really? The cold winters of the upper midwest or new england can't kill you?? What about heat exhaustion from the sweltering heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast. I personally think its the opposite. How can I participate in the Great Lakes? Or the Swamps of the southeast. Those swamps are virtually impenetrable? The dense flat forests too? Those you can get seriously lost in. In the west, with the more open woodland, and vistas, you can find your way back to civilization more easily than you can in the northwoods in Minnesota or the swamps of Florida.

The East is like a glory hole. It isn't as dramatic but the experience is much better.

Those waterfalls pictured are incredible. Too bad you can't get very close to them, much less swim in their pools (that last one does look like it has a swimming hole).

You are correct. I swam in that very swimming hole this past summer

The East is gracious, bountiful (water doesn't have to be piped in from 100's of miles away to grow things) and completely accessible. The wildlife is more abundant, the forest are alive with the sound of insects and many layers of vegetation. Everything just smells better (warm humid air and carries the scent of flowering and rotting vegetation).

Broad salt marshes are as beautiful as any desert (but smell better and are teeming, from under the water to the top of the canopy, with wildlife. Bird and insect noise really flesh out the experience of being outside. You cannot get that out west.

There are salt marshes in CA, although not as extensive as those in the east. Besides, I would say salt marshes, like most extensive wetlands are very difficult to travel through.

The number and width of our rivers far exceed anything out West (the West has longer rivers, but they look like our creeks and streams for most of their lengths). The bays in the East are prettier too (and again, completely accessible. Boating in SF is nice. Boating in MD (and FL, VA, NC, MA, NY, CT, DE etc) is better because when you get tired of looking at the water, you can jump in in and not die.

Maybe not. But people have been messing with and screwing up the rivers, channelizing damning them, digging canals, engineering them beyond anything remotely like what they were originally. Why would you die jumping into Bay Area waters?? Honestly I'm laughing is very thought. Also, the Chesapeake Bay is known for its jellyfish.

The light is prettier in the East. Humidity defuses light in a seductive way. In summer the air is blue. In fall it is golden. The dawn and evening sky in the winter is fuchsia.

What about the western sunsets? That dust in the air is good for something

The built environment is more beautiful in the East. No contest there !

Tobacco, peanut, cotton, corn and soybean fields are exquisite. Orange and apple groves too. Our vineyards look as nice as the West's too.

Agreed. California has these too.

The layers of life, from the grass to the highest branches of the trees is inspiring and you don't have to go anywhere to experience it ( the cities and towns of the East are carved out of the forest, most Western cities are irrigated deserts). The air is moist and scented, full of life and sound. The Everglades, the rocky coast of Maine, the Great Lakes sandy beaches, Blue Ridge mountains, dense forest, marsh land and swamps are beautiful in every season (especially the fall and spring. I'm sorry that the West misses out on those season).

I will give you that. You can go to any suburban area in eastern metro areas and you are never far from a small patch of woods. I do like that as I am from the midwest. But again, its beautiful to look at sitting on a porch drinking a coffee but not for any strenuous outdoor activity. And you do have trees in the west along floodplains, anywhere where the water table is close to the surface.

Mine in bold

Old 09-26-2014, 12:19 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,939,292 times
Do you guys not know how to use quote tags? Geesh. I will be surprised if anyone even READS your lazy responses, let alone replies to them.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:46 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Mine in Bold
Thank you! Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:29 AM

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over the stuff I already explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews
Oops, you got me there. I mispoke. I meant to say Oak-hickory forests. Which are not found out east.
Don't you think that's a bit specific? Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Mangrove Swamps? Those are coastal wetlands. Let me be more specific, inland swamps. Blackwater Swamps. Something comparable to the Okefenokee Swamp. (What most people consider to be a "real" swamp.)
Fine, the West doesn't do as well in the "real swamp" department, hahaha I will get over it.

Quote:
That is a helluva reach to try to prove that people who prefer the beauty of the east are wrong....
Not really.

Quote:
Uh, completely true. And you don't like the term cause it doesn't suite your cause. (It is MORE distinct than a biome, that is why there are more of them. )

Look at the map on the wikipedia article, the east is full of tiny distinct ecoregions where the west is covered by fewer but larger ones.
Feel free to count them if you want. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ed_States_(EPA) The West has more.

I don't think you understand what an ecoregion is, they are more specific, not more distinct from one another.

Quote:

Nice, you cherry picked a result... let me try:

Where is the Snowiest Place? -- The Weather Channel *Better source than "Chicago Now"*

"Few people know it as the snowiest place on earth. But that's exactly what Sukayu Onsen, Japan is." -- The Weather Channel
Ten of the Snowiest Places in the World - Condé Nast Traveler

I see sources saying both. Either way it is safe to say it's one of the snowiest places on earth.

Quote:
Domestic dogs are related to wolves... that does not make them wolves.
Twisting language, I bet you feel clever.

Quote:
Nope. Even if that lie were true, overall, the east is far more lush than the west.
Ever hear of Hawaii or Washington State?

Quote:
The thread is not about which has more dramatic scenery, it is about if people find the east to be more beautiful than the west. Again, read the darn thread title.
It's not about the title it's specifically about what you said about drama, that what I have been responding to.

Quote:
Dramatics had been mentioned, but still, who are you to define dramatics for everyone? Some people find a sunrise in New Hampshire to be more dramatic than a canyon in Utah... again, it is a matter of opinion especially when talking about such a broad subject.
Once again reference the backyard comparison I made.

Quote:
Regardless, overall, the thread is about what people perceive as beautiful, and even if you could prove your favorite region is more "dramatic" that DOES NOT mean that everyone finds it to be beautiful. You CAN NOT prove that people are wrong for finding the east to be more beautiful than the west. *Which is the point of the thread*
People aren't "wrong" for that. People can find beauty in whatever they want. Some people think cities are more beautiful than nature and I disagree with those people. Some guys find women that are 300 pounds more beautiful than ones that are 120 pounds.

No state that I have been to in the East has impressed me in terms of nature except for Florida. Every state I have been to in the West has impressed me. Maine was pleasent but I thought it was a bit overrated, in terms of scenery, especially compared to the PNW. I have been to every state on the East Coast including and north of New Jersey. I have never been to the Midwest or South (except Florida). Who knows, maybe if I go to the Midwest I will be blown away, but I doubt it. Maybe North Carolina might change my mind but I doubt that as well.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I'm not going to get into a pissing match over the stuff I already explained.
You started the pissing match and explained yourself poorly.

Quote:
Don't you think that's a bit specific? Haha.
Uh, Oak-hickory forest has the largest range of any deciduous forest ecosystem in eastern and central North America.

Quote:
Fine, the West doesn't do as well in the "real swamp" department, hahaha I will get over it.
Just like those of us who dislike large expanses of dry nothingness don't find the west attractive?

Quote:
Not really.
Yes, really.

Quote:
Feel free to count them if you want. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ed_States_(EPA) The West has more.
I did, you are wrong. Period.

Quote:
I don't think you understand what an ecoregion is, they are more specific, not more distinct from one another.
Derp. I said more specific.

Quote:
Ten of the Snowiest Places in the World - Condé Nast Traveler

I see sources saying both. Either way it is safe to say it's one of the snowiest places on earth.
I see far more saying Japan. You keep posting links from obscure sources. Stop squirming, the truth is that you can not safely make the claim that it is the snowiest place on Earth.

Quote:
Twisting language, I bet you feel clever.
Lol. Using words the way they are defined is not twisting them. More clever than you.

Quote:
Ever hear of Hawaii or Washington State?
Derp. How big are those places in comparison to the entirety of the western half of the country?

Quote:
It's not about the title it's specifically about what you said about drama, that what I have been responding to.
No, it is about beauty. The drama comment was you flying off the handle at the fact that you can't quantify "dramatic" in the terms of such a broad subject. Something you clearly do not understand.

Quote:
Once again reference the backyard comparison I made.
Which was stupid.

Quote:
People aren't "wrong" for that. People can find beauty in whatever they want. Some people think cities are more beautiful than nature and I disagree with those people. Some guys find women that are 300 pounds more beautiful than ones that are 120 pounds.
Lol, nice. Your insecurity is showing again. You CAN NOT accept people have other preferences without demeaning them. Childish.

Quote:
No state that I have been to in the East has impressed me in terms of nature except for Florida. Every state I have been to in the West has impressed me.
I live in the west and have had THE OPPOSITE experience. But because you had your specific sensory experience, it is the right one, right? Get over yourself.

Quote:
Maine was pleasent but I thought it was a bit overrated, in terms of scenery,
Like Nevada and Arizona.. except they weren't that pleasant. Just seemed overrated in terms of scenery.

Quote:
I have been to every state on the East Coast including and north of New Jersey. I have never been to the Midwest or South (except Florida).
Been to all 50, and a handful of other countries... but my perception is wrong based on your sensory experience because you are somehow superior. *Does that help with your insecurity?*

Quote:
Who knows, maybe if I go to the Midwest I will be blown away, but I doubt it. Maybe North Carolina might change my mind but I doubt that as well.
Nobody is trying to change your mind. It is YOU insecure children coming into this thread trying to tell other people that their perception is odd, unpopular, wrong, etc... because you guys just can't stand that other people don't love your region.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
You started the pissing match and explained yourself poorly.

Not true, you have been in this thread much longer than I and you have had many pissing matches with many different people, I have only had one with you. I find that telling.

Uh, Oak-hickory forest has the largest range of any deciduous forest ecosystem in eastern and central North America.

There is Oak-hickory forest in Texas, last time I checked Texas is in the West.

Just like those of us who dislike large expanses of dry nothingness don't find the west attractive?

That's like saying the East is large expanses of suburbs.

Yes, really.

No.

I did, you are wrong. Period.

Being generous the East has 45, the West has 75. Do you know how to count?

Derp. I said more specific.

Go back and look.

"Uh, completely true. And you don't like the term cause it doesn't suite your cause. (It is MORE distinct than a biome, that is why there are more of them."

See, the word you used was distinct.

I see far more saying Japan. You keep posting links from obscure sources. Stop squirming, the truth is that you can not safely make the claim that it is the snowiest place on Earth.

Completely irrelevant but I will humor you.

5 Incredible Snowfall Extremes - weather.com,

"In 1999, Mount Baker set the world record for most snowfall in a single season, receiving 1,140 inches of the white fluffy stuff."

7 Snowiest Places on Earth | The Adrenalist

Lol. Using words the way they are defined is not twisting them. More clever than you.

Whatever you say.

Derp. How big are those places in comparison to the entirety of the western half of the country?

About as much as the East is swampland.

No, it is about beauty. The drama comment was you flying off the handle at the fact that you can't quantify "dramatic" in the terms of such a broad subject. Something you clearly do not understand.

You can't quantify many things that are worth talking about.

Which was stupid.

No, it's completely relevant. It proves you wrong and that's why you continue to ignore it. The point is that not all opinions are equal.

Lol, nice. Your insecurity is showing again. You CAN NOT accept people have other preferences without demeaning them. Childish.

Sounds like you're into the 300 plus pounders. There is nothing wrong with that. I just happen to have a different opinion.

I live in the west and have had THE OPPOSITE experience. But because you had your specific sensory experience, it is the right one, right? Get over yourself.

Why don't you move then. Why would you live here? Where have you been in the East that you think is more beautiful than the West.

Like Nevada and Arizona.. except they weren't that pleasant. Just seemed overrated in terms of scenery.

Been to all 50, and a handful of other countries... but my perception is wrong based on your sensory experience because you are somehow superior. *Does that help with your insecurity?*

You have to get out of the car for them to count. I really doubt you have spent much time at all outside of cities given your limited perspective of things.

Nobody is trying to change your mind. It is YOU insecure children coming into this thread trying to tell other people that their perception is odd, unpopular, wrong, etc... because you guys just can't stand that other people don't love your region.

Once again just compare how many people you have argued with in this thread compared to how many I have. It's very clear who the emotional child is here.
What I wrote is in bold.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Look, there's a reason why almost every top natural feature in the East is called "the largest ____ EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI," and west of the Mississippi, features are compared with the rest of the PLANET.

3rd tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi, biggest gorge east of the Mississippi, 4th tallest peak east of the Mississippi, don't pretend that you folks haven't heard this as most of these local eastern features are billed in this fashion.

The West is far more grand than The East, it's just the way it is. But that said, people from The West often seem to believe that they have all the beauty in the country, which is far from the case - there's lots of beauty in the Northeast, South, and Midwest. Every state has at least some natural beauty. But as a whole, and the vast majority of foreign visitors will tell you this, the West has the most breathtaking nature by a longshot.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
What I wrote is in bold.
Again, I will not read or respond to your lazy post.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Look, there's a reason why almost every top natural feature in the East is called "the largest ____ EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI," and west of the Mississippi, features are compared with the rest of the PLANET.

3rd tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi, biggest gorge east of the Mississippi, 4th tallest peak east of the Mississippi, don't pretend that you folks haven't heard this as most of these local eastern features are billed in this fashion.

The West is far more grand than The East, it's just the way it is. But that said, people from The West often seem to believe that they have all the beauty in the country, which is far from the case - there's lots of beauty in the Northeast, South, and Midwest. Every state has at least some natural beauty. But as a whole, and the vast majority of foreign visitors will tell you this, the West has the most breathtaking nature by a longshot.
Ugh, and that is why the thread is called "Does anyone else find the east more beautiful than the west."

Not more "grand".

Breathtaking, AGAIN, like the word beautiful, is completely and totally a matter of opinion in the eye of the beholder.

The whole problem with the people who prefer the west, is they are so insecure that as soon as someone else says they find the East more beautiful or breathtaking.... they have to say something silly and off topic like:

"The west is more dramatic." or "The west is more grand." They feel like they have to post about some off-topic category like that, because they can't stand to see people who prefer the east getting away with calling it more beautiful.

It is sad how insecure the people who do this are.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:22 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Quote:
It is sad how insecure the people who do this are.
I think it's abundantly clear to everyone regarding who is the most insecure person on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or