U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 AM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Reputation: 9193

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
This thread is so full of flawed 'logic' that I can't decide whether to laugh or cry.

SIZE doesn't make something more beautiful.
That's what she said...

 
Old 09-27-2014, 12:05 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
This thread is so full of flawed 'logic' that I can't decide whether to laugh or cry.

SIZE doesn't make something more beautiful.
Same with how verdant something is. Merely being green, doesn't make a place more beautiful than somewhere more brown. Like, Okeefenokee Swamp vs The Grand Canyon. Yeah one is more verdant than the other, but let's be real....
 
Old 09-27-2014, 04:17 PM
 
12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Reputation: 17417
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Same with how verdant something is. Merely being green, doesn't make a place more beautiful than somewhere more brown. Like, Okeefenokee Swamp vs The Grand Canyon. Yeah one is more verdant than the other, but let's be real....
Well, it's not like it's a rule that green = prettier, but many people would personally think so. I'm sure there are people out there who'd prefer a swamp to the Grand Canyon in terms of beauty. Maybe not in terms of "wow factor", but definitely in beauty.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 04:51 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Reputation: 1691
If someone finds the East to be more beautiful than the West that means that person finds temperate deciduous forest to be more beautiful than any other biome and doesn't care about geographic or topographical diversity, to the point where they are happier with only temperate deciduous forest over a variety of scenery. The vast majority of the East is temperate deciduous forest except for a small area in the south.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 PM
 
3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times
Reputation: 3988
I don't really. The plain/mountains of WY/CO reminds me of Rohan from Lord of the Rings. In my opinion arguably the most beautiful part of the country, although the desert southwest is beautiful too.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
If someone finds the East to be more beautiful than the West that means that person finds temperate deciduous forest to be more beautiful than any other biome and doesn't care about geographic or topographical diversity, to the point where they are happier with only temperate deciduous forest over a variety of scenery. The vast majority of the East is temperate deciduous forest except for a small area in the south.
Yeah. Everywhere except for the south in the east is forested, let alone one specific type... oh wait. It is beyond silly to say that there is one kind of scenery out east and many out west.

Many different types of scenery exist within a single biome. To claim otherwise is ridiculous. (Unless you are claiming the mountains of New York are the same as the rolling hills of Iowa are the same as the coast of Lake Michigan, are the same as the Flint Hills, are the same as Ohio's hill country... etc...

A majority of the east may be a biome called "temperate deciduous forest", but you have to be insane to think that, in those areas, the scenery is "only deciduous forest." Cheeck out this "only deciduous forest" scenery.

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 09-27-2014 at 06:24 PM..
 
Old 09-27-2014, 06:17 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Same with how verdant something is. Merely being green, doesn't make a place more beautiful than somewhere more brown. Like, Okeefenokee Swamp vs The Grand Canyon. Yeah one is more verdant than the other, but let's be real....
Yeah and it is perfectly okay for someone to say that they find the Okeenenokee Swamp more beautiful than the Grand Canyon. It is a matter of preference.

Some people don't find big rocks "beautiful".

Are you saying people can't find the blackwater Swamps of the east more beautiful than a hole in the ground?

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 09-27-2014 at 06:34 PM..
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:08 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah. Everywhere except for the south in the east is forested, let alone one specific type... oh wait. It is beyond silly to say that there is one kind of scenery out east and many out west.

Many different types of scenery exist within a single biome. To claim otherwise is ridiculous. (Unless you are claiming the mountains of New York are the same as the rolling hills of Iowa are the same as the coast of Lake Michigan, are the same as the Flint Hills, are the same as Ohio's hill country... etc...

A majority of the east may be a biome called "temperate deciduous forest", but you have to be insane to think that, in those areas, the scenery is "only deciduous forest." Cheeck out this "only deciduous forest" scenery.
I thought this was all opinion? Aren't I allowed to have the opinion to think that a majority of the East look very similar? The mountains in the East are a joke compared to the mountains in the West. What people call mountains on the East we call hills on the West. You showed a picture of a beach, wow, no where else on earth has a beach! I have beaches that blow that away within two blocks of my house. I have mountains taller than any east of the Mississippi in my county and we consider those small mountains.

I'm not making the argument that all of the East looks exactly the same or that there are no unique areas. The Great Lakes, the Everglades, the Mississippi Delta and Niagara Falls are all unique. However, what I am saying is that much of the East looks very similar and there is only slight variation throughout much of the landscape.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,425 posts, read 8,777,659 times
Reputation: 7734
In a word...No.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah and it is perfectly okay for someone to say that they find the Okeenenokee Swamp more beautiful than the Grand Canyon. It is a matter of preference.

Some people don't find big rocks "beautiful".

Are you saying people can't find the blackwater Swamps of the east more beautiful than a hole in the ground?
Hahaha if you think the Grand Canyon is just a hole in the ground, then you are hopeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top