U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:19 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,773,778 times
Reputation: 4214

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, it's not like it's a rule that green = prettier, but many people would personally think so. I'm sure there are people out there who'd prefer a swamp to the Grand Canyon in terms of beauty. Maybe not in terms of "wow factor", but definitely in beauty.
Well, many people would also personally find the jagged, dramatic, and more rugged terrain of The West more beautiful than what can be found in the East.

 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:32 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,773,778 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah and it is perfectly okay for someone to say that they find the Okeenenokee Swamp more beautiful than the Grand Canyon. It is a matter of preference.

Some people don't find big rocks "beautiful".

Are you saying people can't find the blackwater Swamps of the east more beautiful than a hole in the ground?
Ok, the Grand Canyon is just a hole in the ground. So that would make the Okeefenokee Swamp just a giant puddle of mud. I don't think folks can't or shouldn't find the East more beautiful, I just found it strange how just merely being green can make a place more beautiful than Majestic Rocks. But even if folks want greenery and pines, the West still has the PNW, which receives more rainfall than most places in the US. It doesn't get any more verdant than the PNW. If you want green hills, forest and trees out West, you can go anywhere in extremem Northern CA and the PNW. But if you want Brown desert scenery, you can't find it anywhere in the East. There isn't much in natural beauty that you can find in the East, that you couldn't find out West.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:34 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,943,824 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, many people would also personally find the jagged, dramatic, and more rugged terrain of The West more beautiful than what can be found in the East.
Yeah, we agree completely.

Those of us who prefer the east are fully willing to admit that it is all preference and both areas are beautiful, and depending on who is beholding the beauty, they might find one more beautiful than the other.

It is those who prefer the west who keep trying to belittle the people who find the east more beautiful and prove them "wrong".

Many people find the west more beautiful. Many people find the east more beautiful... and that is perfectly fine.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:38 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,943,824 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Ok, the Grand Canyon is just a hole in the ground. So that would make the Okeefenokee Swamp just a giant puddle of mud. I don't think folks can't or shouldn't find the East more beautiful, I just found it strange how just merely being green can make a place more beautiful than Majestic Rocks. But even if folks want greenery and pines, the West still has the PNW, which receives more rainfall than most places in the US. It doesn't get any more verdant than the PNW. If you want green hills, forest and trees out West, you can go anywhere in extremem Northern CA and the PNW. But if you want Brown desert scenery, you can't find it anywhere in the East. There isn't much in natural beauty that you can find in the East, that you couldn't find out West.

Lol, again.

Your "majestic rocks" are just "boring rocks" to some people, and the "mud hole" you find boring is beautiful to other people.

There is plenty of natural beauty you find out east that you can't find in the west and vice versa. The only difference is, the people who prefer the east aren't so insecure that they have to try to prove their superiority to people who don't agree with them.

The PNW is different from the north woods of Minnesota, the hills of Pennsylvania, the mountains of South Carolina, etc.... If people find them more beautiful then WHY are you trying to sell them on the PNW?


Why is it such a problem if people don't share your opinion?
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:40 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,773,778 times
Reputation: 4214
I think the East get's more varied the further West you drive. The further you get from I-95, the more varied the Eastern US gets. The closer you get to the Midwest, and the Western US, the more brownish, and shrubby the terrain get's and it looks vastly different from states that touch the coast. Driving from GA to NYC doesn't yield as much variation as the same drive from San Diego to Seattle. I personally think the extreme Northern and Southern edges of the East-coast are more distinct than anything in the middle. Like South Florida and Maine seem the most distinct in terms of natural scenery.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,773,778 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Lol, again.

Your "majestic rocks" are just "boring rocks" to some people, and the "mud hole" you find boring is beautiful to other people.

There is plenty of natural beauty you find out east that you can't find in the west and vice versa. The only difference is, the people who prefer the east aren't so insecure that they have to try to prove their superiority to people who don't agree with them.

The PNW is different from the north woods of Minnesota, the hills of Pennsylvania, the mountains of South Carolina, etc.... If people find them more beautiful then WHY are you trying to sell them on the PNW?


Why is it such a problem if people don't share your opinion?
I said there's more variation out West. Beauty may be subjective and in the eye of the beholder, but variation isn't. My point was, there isn't much in terms of natural variation that you can find in the East, that isn't available out West. There are certain land formations and specific natural formations in the East that are unique(like Niagra Falls), but I feel the diversity of the West gives it an edge. The superior variation of the West is fact, and not subjective. Whether one finds the lesser variation of the East more beautiful is their opinion, and they're free to have this opinion.

But let's be honest, from the outset, this thread was created by someone who was annoyed that folks found the West more beautiful than the East. You can't make these kind of threads and expect opinions that differ from the OP's to not be expressed in here. That's like if I made a thread with the title "Does anyone else find LA to be a more exciting city than NYC?" I just might get a few people who will be like "Wait a minute, I don't agree with that, and here's why". You ask "Why is it such a problem if people don't share your opinion?" the thread was started by someone who was annoyed that people didn't share his opinion. That was the whole point of this thread. The whole point of this thread was to express an opinion that went against the grain, and well, the grain also went against the OP's opinion. It happens.....
 
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,943,824 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think the East get's more varied the further West you drive. The further you get from I-95, the more varied the Eastern US gets. The closer you get to the Midwest, and the Western US, the more brownish, and shrubby the terrain get's and it looks vastly different from states that touch the coast.
Thread isn't about the coasts. The geographical middle of the country is close to the middle of Kansas. Everything east of that line is the east, and everything west is the west.

Corpus Christi, TX is in the eastern half of the United States. It is WILDLY different from, say, Pittsburgh, PA.

Quote:
Driving from GA to NYC doesn't yield as much variation as the same drive from San Diego to Seattle.
San Diego to Seattle is over 1200 miles. Georgia to NYC is 800. It gets far more varied if you go from Miami to Portland, ME. A more similar distance span.



[/quote]I personally think the extreme Northern and Southern edges of the East-coast are more distinct than anything in the middle. Like South Florida and Maine seem the most distinct in terms of natural scenery.[/quote]

Same thing about the west coast. The middle of it has less variation than if you include the extreme south and north points.

I would argue that South Carolina scenery is wildly different from Southeastern Pennsylvania's scenery. Those two places are in between Georgia and NYC.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,208,606 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Thread isn't about the coasts. The geographical middle of the country is close to the middle of Kansas. Everything east of that line is the east, and everything west is the west.

Corpus Christi, TX is in the eastern half of the United States. It is WILDLY different from, say, Pittsburgh, PA.



San Diego to Seattle is over 1200 miles. Georgia to NYC is 800. It gets far more varied if you go from Miami to Portland, ME. A more similar distance span.



I personally think the extreme Northern and Southern edges of the East-coast are more distinct than anything in the middle. Like South Florida and Maine seem the most distinct in terms of natural scenery.

Same thing about the west coast. The middle of it has less variation than if you include the extreme south and north points.

I would argue that South Carolina scenery is wildly different from Southeastern Pennsylvania's scenery. Those two places are in between Georgia and NYC.
What about the difference between HI and AK? That is still the West. Miami to Portland ME is 1600 miles, not 1200. Jacksonville to Portland and Atlantic City to Miami is 1200.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 08:15 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,525,539 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, many people would also personally find the jagged, dramatic, and more rugged terrain of The West more beautiful than what can be found in the East.
Yeah, of course. Isn't that a given? People think a variety of opinions.
 
Old 09-27-2014, 08:18 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,773,778 times
Reputation: 4214
Nowhere in Texas is part of the Eastern US. Texas is definitely Western(or Western South). There's more climatic, and topographic variation in the areas of California that you'd pass through on I-5 or the PCH, than what you'd find on I-95. Los Angeles County by its self has a variation in terms of micro-climates that you couldn't find in any one metro area on the East. You don't find that type of variation in any Eastern Urban/Metro Area. I think you're underrating the many micro climates that you can find within any one single metro area in CA. You can't encounter the same variation that you'd find driving from Venice Beach to Big Bear CA anywhere on the east-coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top