U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,491,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The West is brown and the Pacific Ocean is freezing as are most of the lakes and rivers. The East has more fresh water, a warmer ocean, and is greener. We have cities with trees. We have a variety of topography. We have the most beautiful fall foliage. I take that over tall mountains any day.

The West is brown and green and golden yellow, and while water temp has little to do with the question asked , the Pacific Ocean cuts ruggedly into the West Coast while the rivers created the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Columbia River Gorge, and the lakes range from alpine, Tahoe, to ancient, Mono, to Great, Salt to Crater. The East does have more fresh water and warmer ocean -again has little to do with the question- which directly correlates with suffocating humidity. The East has decidedly less variety of topography, but it does have more beautiful fall foliage. But that's only in the fall. I'll take taller mountains, shorter mountains with more rugged features, volcanic mountains, transverse mountains that give way to the ocean then rise again to form a national park, the expansive extremity presented by the deserts, including the hottest place on Earth and the lowest point in on the continent, pronghorn populated steepe plain regions that briefly burst with color, rainforests, the world's oldest, tallest and largest trees- each occupying and endemic to their own specifc regions -massive canyons, arches, glaciers, geysers, towering waterfalls, spectacular coastline and sunshine. But thatís just me.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:28 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,835,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I like thunderstorms
That is right! No thunderstorms or hurricanes out West. Change is good.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,835,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
while water temp has little to do with the question asked
Not for me. I don't think something is attractive if I can't take advantage of it. Kind of plastic.

Not pretty:

Henry Weinhard's - Beach Ball - YouTube

Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times
I don't like mountains at all, they do nothing for me, and I like green, so I prefer the look of the east. I do like deserts though, probably because we don't have them here.

Not commenting on which is more beautiful because that is totally subjective and some posters thus far seem to not realize that...

Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,042,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That is right! No thunderstorms or hurricanes out West. Change is good.
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico have thunderstorms.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM

3,970 posts, read 3,505,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't like mountains at all, they do nothing for me, and I like green, so I prefer the look of the east. I do like deserts though, probably because we don't have them here.

Not commenting on which is more beautiful because that is totally subjective and some posters thus far seem to not realize that...
Getting most people to realize that their personal opinion isn't the bell weather standard for society is a losing battle. As much as getting them to not take it as a personal attack when someones opinion is different from their own.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM

17,326 posts, read 19,597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Getting most people to realize that their personal opinion isn't the bell weather standard for society is a losing battle. As much as getting them to not take it as a personal attack when someones opinion is different from their own.
That's true, but I'm pretty sure most people would say that the western U.S. is more scenic than the east. Numerous polls have shown this. It is pretty wonderful what nature has bestowed on this country of ours without any human intervention.

That said, the OP is looking for people who think the east is more scenic. There are of course lots of people who do, but it is still a minority opinion.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,946,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico have thunderstorms.
Not like they have in the Midwest and the East...
The east cant even compete, the Midwest is the WORLD champ of super-cell thunderstorms.

I live in Colorado, and you can count me among those who find the Eastern half of the country more beautiful than the west.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM

3,970 posts, read 3,505,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's true, but I'm pretty sure most people would say that the western U.S. is more scenic than the east. Numerous polls have shown this. It is pretty wonderful what nature has bestowed on this country of ours without any human intervention.

That said, the OP is looking for people who think the east is more scenic. There are of course lots of people who do, but it is still a minority opinion.
Whether it is or it isn't, the whole point of an opinion is that there is no right or wrong answer. Without regard to what the majority favors.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM

43 posts, read 56,716 times
I do.

I think this looks better than this. I can't stand arid places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or