U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I disagree, because a farm is manmade, and is therefore an eye sore. At least mountains are untouched natural beauty. Nothing turns me off more than seeing farm land. I mean, it's not that bad, but still. It's cultivated land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Nope, not me. Farms just look boring and tree-less and the land looks ruined by man. I'd rather see natural surface on the ground (i.e. trees, shrubs, dirt, whatever) than crops that someone planted. Farms are manmade property, which is a turn off to me. I'd rather see untouched land.
Mountains can be 'touched' property, too.

Honestly, which view do you prefer?

Oregon Mountains

Pennsylvania Farmland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Nobody is desputing that those places are pretty, as are other spots out East...but the mountains in the West are much more majestic, especially places like Hawaii, Northern California, Washington, Oregon and Colorado.

New Mexico is also a very gorgeous state.
Majesty is not everything. Is Buckingham Palace a more beautiful house than a humble Tudor?

Buckingham Palace

Tudor Farmhouse

Personally, the latter house fills my heart with a warmth that a palace could never touch.

Likewise, a vista of the cloud shrouded Catskills rising up from the Hudson River in New York does more for me than Western mountains. Sure, some mountains in the West will make me gasp in astonishment, but they are not as beautiful to me as the East's.

We all have different criteria for beauty of all kinds. True beauty is that which evokes an emotional response. Some people are drawn to beauty to overwhelms their senses. To these people, size and stark contrasts, like massifs of stone rising above a belt of spruce over a desert plain. To others, finding a diversity of flowering plants and trees, not just green but more greens than there are words in our language, and myriad tumbling brooks of the eastern woodlands is the definition of beauty.

One of the biggest thing to me for defining what I consider beauty is scent. I have never been in a forest in the West with the right scent. I mean, it is complex. You cant just say well this mountain is 12,000 ft. and thus more beautiful than this mountain that is only 10,000 ft. I actually had someone use this in an argument why the Sangre de Christos in northern New Mexico are objectively more beautiful than the Sandias in central New Mexico.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
I see your point...but that is an unfair comparison of the mountains in Oregon. That was clearly deforested. This is what Oregon's mountains tend to look like:

Pennsylvania is beautiful, and I like the look of the farms. But Oregon, in my opinion, is far more stunning.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,489,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Honestly, which view do you prefer?

Oregon Mountains

Pennsylvania Farmland
Please. That's like this using this https://www.google.com/search?q=west...ih=708&dpr=0.9 as representative of the Appalachians.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
^^Yup, like I said. That poster came across as a troll.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM

4,947 posts, read 7,608,487 times
The West is more dramatic and varied but there is a certain calm beauty about the forever green landscape and dense, leafy trees (in the spring and summer) of the East, and certainly it's hard to beat Autumn in New England.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Quote:
I see your point...but that is an unfair comparison of the mountains in Oregon. That was clearly deforested. This is what Oregon's mountains tend to look like:

Pennsylvania is beautiful, and I like the look of the farms. But Oregon, in my opinion, is far more stunning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Please. That's like this using this https://www.google.com/search?q=west...ih=708&dpr=0.9 as representative of the Appalachians.
Quote:
If you go back and actually read my post you will find that the pictures chosen were set in a context.

Let me explain, nep321 said that she preferred mountains to farmland because farmland is 'touched by human hands'.

So I quoted the post explaining that view, and replied,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Then I used that photo of a clear cut, in contrast with some farmland, to show that mountains are not immune from human activity, and that some human activity in nature can be perceived positively, like farms, and some negatively, like clear cuts.

But if you don't actually read, you might conclude that I am a troll. Or one might argue that someone who willfully or ignorantly misconstrues another's post in order to reinforce their own argument is a troll.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,860,194 times
I find the East to be quite depressing.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:14 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,528,548 times
Quote:
You don't know the meaning of the word troll. ABQConvict is absolutely not a troll.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:02 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,209 times
It is weird that people see mountains and farms as separate. I live in the Rocky Mountains and there are farms and ranches all over up here....

Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,528,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It is weird that people see mountains and farms as separate. I live in the Rocky Mountains and there are farms and ranches all over up here....
I made a comment a couple pages back in regards to how some people find flat farmland beautiful, and even rolling hills - because farms can also be cultivated on not so flat land. People tend to associate farms with flatness, but farms aren't always found on flat land. In Italy along the Amalfi coast, they grow crops right into the side of seaside cliffs - I have pictures from my trip of steep land that was slightly altered in order to create farms, right alongside the Mediterranean. Upstate NY, to me, is associated with both farms and mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or