Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 04:13 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think all parts of the country have their own unique beauty. However, the statement attributed to Ronald Reagan always makes me wonder: "If the Pilgrims had landed in California, the East Coast would still be wilderness."

Old 09-16-2014, 05:14 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Personally, I think all parts of the country have their own unique beauty. However, the statement attributed to Ronald Reagan always makes me wonder: "If the Pilgrims had landed in California, the East Coast would still be wilderness."
Parts of California are beautiful but vast areas are quite ugly too, like the Mojave Desert and Central Valley. I find a state like New York beautiful the whole way through.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:16 AM

35 posts, read 48,922 times
Never been to the West Coast. but judging from pictures i would say that objectively the East doesn't have the same natural beauty that the West does. However i like East Coast architecture, housing styles and residential neighborhoods better, from an aesthetic standpoint.

I like the East coast vibe better, as well. I would take a Nantucket beach over a Malibu beach any day. Dunes, picket fence, weathered shingles and an adirondack chair overlooking the calm Atlantic VS. rows of glass beach mansions, palm trees and feisty, noisy waves.

Check out this picture of a sunset i snapped in Sand Point, Long island just this Sunday.

Thats beauty in my book. Oh, and #nofilter

Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
No way! The West has way more diversity and I find it much prettier (although the East is no slouch).

Old 09-19-2014, 08:56 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
No way! The West has way more diversity and I find it much prettier (although the East is no slouch).
I wouldn't really say the West is more diverse. The only true advantage it has is mountains. Most of the west is sagebrush steppe or mountains covered in coniferous/aspen forest. It also lacks the vast wetlands and stuff you find back East.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I prefer the scenery out West overall because you get a very diverse amount of climates and scenery not found out East. Some places out West are desert, others are temperate rainforest, others are near-polar, snowy mountainous areas, some are Mediterranean...out East, is is pretty much all 4-seasons climate (I'm not talking about the Southeast, only Midwest and Northeast) with the same weather, granted it may be a tad milder closer to the ocean.

But there are certain things I like more out East than out West. For example, I have never experienced a more beautiful spring than the Washington DC Area, because you get the tulips, daffodils, dogwoods, plum blossoms, cherry blossoms, magnolias, roses, azaleas...and then also leafy trees start to have the different color buds, small leaves start to pop out...just amazing. Out West, the scenery (while varying by state) tends to look the same year-round, more or less. Out East, while the scenery state-by-state is more or less the same, it changes with the seasons. But for me, I think the West is more beautiful because it is more rugged and less developed. The cities put West are San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle, with some smaller cities....but they are all far less built-up than the cities out East like Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus, Cleveland, Washington DC, Charlotte, Raleigh, Philadelphia, Boston or NYC.

People tend to vacation out West more for scenery and outdoors activities, while people tend to vacation out East more for sightseeing in the city.
Agreed. This sums it up.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I wouldn't really say the West is more diverse. The only true advantage it has is mountains. Most of the west is sagebrush steppe or mountains covered in coniferous/aspen forest. It also lacks the vast wetlands and stuff you find back East.
Considering the West has more overall changes in true elevation, and more extreme elevation in general, it's obvious that there will be more overall diversity that goes along with it. Take the Palm Springs tram ride some time - 10 minutes, 9 biomes. There's nowhere east that can compare to something like that, because...basic geography.

These changes in elevation do not make the West "more beautiful" (though more would argue that than the opposite), but it certainly sets it up for more diversity.

Totally agree that there are vast wastelands out West, but that still doesn't discredit the above.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
Never been to the West Coast. but judging from pictures i would say that objectively the East doesn't have the same natural beauty that the West does. However i like East Coast architecture, housing styles and residential neighborhoods better, from an aesthetic standpoint.

I like the East coast vibe better, as well. I would take a Nantucket beach over a Malibu beach any day. Dunes, picket fence, weathered shingles and an adirondack chair overlooking the calm Atlantic VS. rows of glass beach mansions, palm trees and feisty, noisy waves.

Check out this picture of a sunset i snapped in Sand Point, Long island just this Sunday.

Thats beauty in my book. Oh, and #nofilter
Sorry, but the west has, and always will have better sunsets, its just the name of the game.

There is absolutely nothing more spectacular than a Arizona sunset, watching the brown mountains turn vivid red, then purple, with the skies burning in brilliant oranges and reds and yellows, silhouetted against jagged peaks that are covered in Saguaro cacti. Heres just a few Ive capture on my crap cell phone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone else find the East more beautiful than the West?-2.jpg   Does anyone else find the East more beautiful than the West?-3.jpg   Does anyone else find the East more beautiful than the West?-4.jpg   Does anyone else find the East more beautiful than the West?-5.jpg   Does anyone else find the East more beautiful than the West?-6.jpg  

Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM

402 posts, read 686,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Yeah yeah mountains, yadda yadda yadda. Overall I find the east more beautiful. Sure it has nothing as rugged as Glacier National Park but the reality is 70 percent of the West is desert and scrub. Overall I find back east more consistently beautiful.
Every place has it's pluses and minuses but the West beats the East every time in my book. Just like Jim says, the West is the best!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:10 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times
Nope, I have been all over both coasts and the West Coast beats the East Coast in terms of natural beauty hands down. There is no competition. The only things the East Coast has better is the Atlantic is warmer than the Pacific, better Fall foliage and better swamps. The West does everything else better in terms of natural beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.