U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I have absolutely no interest in ever stepping into a Mexican market again. Not my thing. I prefer the dishes from South America and the Caribbean. Southwestern is even better. In my opinion, Mexican food is the bottom of the barrel of what is offered south of the border.
If that's your opinion, that's your opinion. You like what you like, but I doubt you've ever had real Mexican food. It's more than ground beef tacos and chicken burritos with sour cream and onions.

Have you ever had mole poblano or a whole red snapper roasted over a mesquite-burning grill with a veracuzana sauce? Or what about Mexico city style enchiladas suizas or a well made al pastor?

Ohhh, and nothing beats fresh homemade corn tortillas. But they go stale in a half hour, forty-five minutes so they need to be fresh from the griddle. Truly amazing.

What's there not to love?

If you're ever in Chicago and want to expand your horizons, check out a restaurant called the Mixteco Grill. It's the best, most authentic Mexican I've ever had

http://www.mixtecogrill.com/DinnerMenu.pdf

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 07-25-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,005,567 times
I agree with Dawn.Davenport that you are way off when it comes to Mexican cuisine, give it another try.

To answer your OP, I would agree with the cities mentioned: NYC, Boston, Philly, DC.

I like you have a serious love for European Spanish cooking, especially the coast type cooking found in San Sebastian and Catalan cuisine. As you have noticed, there are alot more Latin American grocery stores than Spanish.

Thankfully during my time in Boston I was able to find a real deal Spanish market named Las Ventas in the South End. The owners are from Madrid and also own two authentic tapas bars in the area. This is a serious market, any given afternoon you walk in there you can easily find 30 different cheeses from Spain, Different types of high end Spanish Olive Oils, huge selection of pimientos del piquillo. The other advantage is whatever you can't find there you can get in one of the many Portuguese markets in the area. Another nice resource is (Authentic Spanish Food from Spain at LaTienda.com) which basically gets you anything you cant find locally.

The other categories are self explanatory as well. Asian markets are obviously in abundance, Italian markets in the North End and great seafood and New England go hand in hand. If you are looking for a specific type of Fish to prepare a Spanish meal, I would recommend the Portuguese Fish Markets on Cambridge St in Cambridge, MA.

I am sure that anyone from the other cities mentioned could give you a run down of what is available locally to them. NYC especially probably has what everyone else has, except multiplied by 10.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
I have been to Mexico and I lived near the border. Yes. I have had authentic Mexican food.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 AM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Which city in the Upper Half of the US would offer a good selection of authentic Italian, Spanish (not Mexican), Asian, and Seafood markets? I have become a foodie and would love to live some place where I could find good authentic and high quality products to cook with.
Italian - If Italian people are preparing the food, is it authentic? I think of the NY, Philly area first.

Spanish - Almost impossible to find.

Asian - Mostly east coast, west coast, or any city with a Chinatown. It's not just Chinese food.

Seafood - Anywhere near a coast. Major cities fly it in.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
NYC is for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or