U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Midwest is more...
Like the West 16 19.28%
Like the Northeast 67 80.72%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:40 AM

4,415 posts, read 5,723,096 times

Advertisements

I've never gotten a hint of the Pac NW in the countless times I've been to Minneapolis. If anything, part of Minnesota feels like the Great Plains, but the rest feels just like the rest of the upper Midwest. The Midwest is just it's own thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 AM

4,634 posts, read 4,792,459 times
Minneapolis didn't seem Western at all to me. The only Midwestern city I have been to with a Western vibe is Kansas City.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,841,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I've never gotten a hint of the Pac NW in the countless times I've been to Minneapolis. If anything, part of Minnesota feels like the Great Plains, but the rest feels just like the rest of the upper Midwest. The Midwest is just it's own thing.
Well, if you read my first post in this thread, I said Minneapolis has it's own unique vibe, that is really neither Western, nor Northeastern. I only made the comparison to the PNW in my second post because Minneapolis reminds me of Seattle in a few ways. I should have been more specific. And even then, the similarities to Seattle aren't across the board. It just strikes me as having more in common with Seattle than it does with any Northeastern city... though not by some huge margin. Minneapolis really is it's own unique entity in the Midwest.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:17 PM

4,415 posts, read 5,723,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well, if you read my first post in this thread, I said Minneapolis has it's own unique vibe, that is really neither Western, nor Northeastern. I only made the comparison to the PNW in my second post because Minneapolis reminds me of Seattle in a few ways. I should have been more specific. And even then, the similarities to Seattle aren't across the board. It just strikes me as having more in common with Seattle than it does with any Northeastern city... though not by some huge margin. Minneapolis really is it's own unique entity in the Midwest.
Sure, that's fine. My point was that The Twin Cities have never reminded me of the Pac NW. To me, the Twin Cities are very Midwestern. Just differing opinions is all.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,162,722 times
The Midwest is like the Midwest. Is the West more like the Midwest, or the NE? Is the NE more like the Midwest or the West?

Old 07-27-2014, 05:41 PM

32,905 posts, read 61,310,179 times
This poll is flawed. It lacks an option for "This is a stupid question."

Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM

3,077 posts, read 2,543,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I think it's much more similar to the Northeast overall. The urban accents are similar to the accents of Pennsylvania, New York, and New England (pahk the car etc), the landscape is similar (green humid forests, rolling hills and prairies), the climate is more or less the same with 4 seasons/humid summers/cold winters as opposed to the constantly mild/hot/dry/sunny semi-tropical weather of the states from the Rockies westward.

It's also been settled since Colonial Times like the Northeast which would differentiate it from the West which was still settled mostly by Native Americans or uninhabited well into the 20th century so it has more of an "American" vibe like the Northeast rather than the Global/Multicultural vibe you find in the Western states.
It's a continuum. Ohio and Michigan are more similar to the Northeast, particularly Pennsylvania and upstate New York. The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, and possibly even Minnesota and Iowa are fairly similar to Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. This makes sense of proximity in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 AM

4,634 posts, read 4,792,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
It's a continuum. Ohio and Michigan are more similar to the Northeast, particularly Pennsylvania and upstate New York. The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, and possibly even Minnesota and Iowa are fairly similar to Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. This makes sense of proximity in my opinion.
The Western Dakotas might be similar to the mountain states you mentioned but not Minnesota, at least not Minneapolis. The Twin Cities reminded me more of the Chicago area than Montana or Wyoming.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM

3,077 posts, read 2,543,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The Western Dakotas might be similar to the mountain states you mentioned but not Minnesota, at least not Minneapolis. The Twin Cities reminded me more of the Chicago area than Montana or Wyoming.
I was trying to say that it's a continuum, especially when we don't factor the South into the equation. The Twin Cities might be more similar to Chicago than Montana or Wyoming, but Chicago is in the Midwest and closer, so you'd expect that. But Minnesota has similarities to North Dakota, which in turn has similarities to Montana.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 PM

21,209 posts, read 36,824,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Minneapolis didn't seem Western at all to me. The only Midwestern city I have been to with a Western vibe is Kansas City.
That is because it is at the edge if the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or