Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 14,777 times

Advertisements

You have no one to stay with or depend on, nor do you have a car - just a bus ticket and enough to house w d feed you for 8 weeks..you have no idea where your career path may lie but you know you want to "make it" and be rich....where do you go?

And no, I'm not asking the best places to be poor and homeless..I'm asking for the best city to move with nothing and then "make it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 05:04 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforanewstart View Post
You have no one to stay with or depend on, nor do you have a car - just a bus ticket and enough to house w d feed you for 8 weeks..you have no idea where your career path may lie but you know you want to "make it" and be rich....where do you go?

And no, I'm not asking the best places to be poor and homeless..I'm asking for the best city to move with nothing and then "make it".
A person with a strong work ethic, a set of skills and determination will make it in any city. You don't just become rich.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
A person with a strong work ethic, a set of skills and determination will make it in any city. You don't just become rich.
Obviously. I'm asking for where YOU would go in that position.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I'd pick a mid-sized city where you can live car-free. But how are you going to make it and be rich if you have no career path? Things just don't work out that way.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:12 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
To the nearest Army Recruiter.

I'd do my service then go to college with the GI Bill.

Then grad school.

Then I'd buy a fancy new car and live in any city I wanted.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'd pick a mid-sized city where you can live car-free. But how are you going to make it and be rich if you have no career path? Things just don't work out that way.
Most 18 year olds that arent going to college don't have a set "career path" they take what comes and work with it, I was lucky I had an in at a big 3 factory. Not everyone has a set plan, you start off as a temp admin assistant and you might wind up the ceo if you play your cards right.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
To the nearest Army Recruiter.

I'd do my service then go to college with the GI Bill.

Then grad school.

Then I'd buy a fancy new car and live in any city I wanted.
That's honorable going to the service, but why does everyone think you NEED a degree for success.

If you wanna be a judge or an engineer yeah.

But you can make good money with just a GED if you can get into a trade union, learn some programming languages, or even know the right person. You don't even need a degree to be a trader at the Chicago Merc.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:15 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforanewstart View Post
Most 18 year olds that arent going to college don't have a set "career path" they take what comes and work with it, I was lucky I had an in at a big 3 factory. Not everyone has a set plan, you start off as a temp admin assistant and you might wind up the ceo if you play your cards right.
Yes, but the situation you're proposing is different. Someone with only 2 months worth of expenses and no idea what they want out of life? Well then everything better go perfect for them. It's always good to have a plan, because this is exactly how many people get into a situation they don't want to be in.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes, but the situation you're proposing is different. Someone with only 2 months worth of expenses and no idea what they want out of life? Well then everything better go perfect for them. It's always good to have a plan.
It's actually way more common than you think, and even if you have a plan its just that. You still have to hit the pavement and find work. Where would you go for that. Personally for me it would be Chicago (I'm from Detroit).

Reasoning:abundance of jobs based on sheer size (they ain't the best jobs, but they ARE jobs), no need for a car, and cheap housing relative to cities of equal importance (you can rent a room for $300 or an apartment for $650 in decent neighborhoods).

Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
I'd stay where I was. I had a job at 18, probably could have gotten extra hours. Bus tickets are generally refundable/exchangeable. I'd start looking for a job somewhere with low unemployment, strong job growth, and low cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.