U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,475,821 times

Advertisements

This idea of using Great Lakes water to keep the western states having access to water is a very touchy subject to the Great Lakes states. They feel very strong against it, and they will never give that water up without a fight. Those lakes are that regions most important asset and they will protect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 AM

2,881 posts, read 4,620,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Las Vegas conserves water more so than any SW desert city, with the exception of Tucson? Las Vegas' water allocation from the Colorado River is 300,000 square acre feet, and we must make do with that for 2M people and the tourists in town.

Go drive around the wasteful L.A. area, where 60% of the water goes to landscaping, with green lawns ad infinitum! If the L.A. and San Diego areas had the xeriscaping that Las Vegas has, there's a big ocean of water conserved right there!

But it ain't gonna happen in L.A., xeriscaping to the degree of Las Vegas. Beverly Hills must suck up a ton of water alone! And you think they're going to give up their spacious green lawns?
Per capita water use in L.A. is 152. Las Vegas is at around 250, but with a goal of 199 by 2035.

Lots of water topics going around. Lots of presumed truths too, even (or especially) within the California forums themselves. Then there are those who know zero about the SW at all. There's information on the internet.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,455,470 times
We have so much water here that farmers have to install drain tile under all of the fields to help them drain. It's almost like reverse irrigation. Remove water from the fields and put it back into streams/creeks/rivers. It's a tough life here in the Great Lakes region.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,076,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Yours too.
You have heard of the Great Lakes Compact, correct? It's actually a federal law, so don't count on water from the Great Lakes to water your lawn in the desert.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,418,971 times
I just landed on this Thread. Several decades ago a group of people came up with a great Terraforming experiment named North American Water and Power Alliance designed to reverse the flow of water in western Canada from the arctic ocean to southern California and much of the rest of the Western and Midwestern US.

It was a plan of grand size and scope. Look up NAWAPA for a real water project.

FWIW - We are in a bit od a drought here in southern New Hampshire. My rain gauge indicates we have only had 14.4 in since the end of march. Six inches fell during the first weekend of March. That leave a little over 8 in since then. We usually get about 1 in per week average.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,922,845 times
surprisingly enough, it seems that there is a direct relationship between lot size and the amount of green in most of the aerial images I have looked at for some of the SW cities. Also, not sure if it's possible to qualify, but I wonder if Northerners that move to these arid environments, bring along their preconceived notions of landscape design and lush lawns along with?

Phoenix...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phoen...gl=us&t=h&z=18

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phoen...gl=us&t=h&z=17

Las Vegas...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=las+v...y,+Nevada&z=17

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=las+v...y,+Nevada&z=17

Albuquerque...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Albuq...ew+Mexico&z=18

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=placi...gl=us&t=h&z=18

Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 AM

912 posts, read 859,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This idea of using Great Lakes water to keep the western states having access to water is a very touchy subject to the Great Lakes states. They feel very strong against it, and they will never give that water up without a fight. Those lakes are that regions most important asset and they will protect it.

I'm not even from your region and I agree with this sentiment. Work within the constraints of your environment.

And to those who say agriculture uses up the most water in the southwest, then STOP. Import your fruits/veggies from other areas that are not as arid.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM

912 posts, read 859,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
surprisingly enough, it seems that there is a direct relationship between lot size and the amount of green in most of the aerial images I have looked at for some of the SW cities. Also, not sure if it's possible to qualify, but I wonder if Northerners that move to these arid environments, bring along their preconceived notions of landscape design and lush lawns along with?
I definitely think you are right with this. I have heard of many people who have moved from NJ to the southwest, and I wonder if they got there and wondered where all the green from their home was. And tried to recreate it. Which is a bit ridiculous.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:26 PM

684 posts, read 619,014 times
Almost every other year the Mississippi and/or other (Missouri) rivers flood. And I thought of this same idea as the OP. Of having what could be like a pumping system in St. Louis. To pump excess flooding water into a pipeline and then send it to Texas or the southwest. Lowering the river levels. It may be costly to do this. But then again, think how much money is spent on flood damages every year along the Mississippi.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Almost every other year the Mississippi and/or other (Missouri) rivers flood. And I thought of this same idea as the OP. Of having what could be like a pumping system in St. Louis. To pump excess flooding water into a pipeline and then send it to Texas or the southwest. Lowering the river levels. It may be costly to do this. But then again, think how much money is spent on flood damages every year along the Mississippi.
It would be far cheaper to build new reservoirs for flood control and local water storage.... Then it could be banked for rare droughts, used for recreation, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or