U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:12 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,531,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Nope.

Sincerely,

The Great Lakes Region
The Northeast seconds that. We'll keep our water, thanks, even if we have excess at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,775 times
It seems more reasonable for people to live in a place where their presence doesn't destroy environments, whether they are local or very far away. It is a desert, there is no water... deal with it.

It is disgusting what people have done to the Colorado River Delta, which is complete and utter destruction, all because they only care about themselves. We are talking thousands of kilometers of wetlands destroyed so yuppies can have lawns... I could see a civil war before the southwest gets the water from the Great Lakes area or the North East. Heck, I don't think you could get the midwest to give up water from the Missouri or Mississippi rivers....

All the comments like "Our pools still have water" are extremely insulting... yeah, you destroyed a unique ecosystem to keep that water in the pools... which need constant refilling due to evaporation. But you don't swim in the Colorado River Delta, so who cares how it is affected, right?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,531,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It seems more reasonable for people to live in a place where their presence doesn't destroy environments, whether they are local or very far away. It is a desert, there is no water... deal with it.

It is disgusting what people have done to the Colorado River Delta, which is complete and utter destruction, all because they only care about themselves. We are talking thousands of kilometers of wetlands destroyed so yuppies can have lawns... I could see a civil war before the southwest gets the water from the Great Lakes area or the North East. Heck, I don't think you could get the midwest to give up water from the Missouri or Mississippi rivers....
Why should they? We are one nation, supposedly united, but how is the Southwest's water problem our problem on the other side of the country, or in the middle of the country? Living in a desert, or otherwise dry area, you have to know the risks. If you're worried about it, move - don't expect water-rich areas of the country to share their water at their own risk. Living along the Atlantic coast, we get a lot of negative comments from those elsewhere for buildings homes on beaches in hurricane prone areas (Sandy brought a lot of cruel comments around here from those living elsewhere), those in tornado alley face the same type of scrutiny, why should we go out of our way to share water with those who choose to live in dry areas? We shouldn't, especially when it could potentially destroy our own ecosystems. It may sound kind of harsh, but it is what it is.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:36 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Why should they? We are one nation, supposedly united, but how is the Southwest's water problem our problem on the other side of the country, or in the middle of the country? Living in a desert, or otherwise dry area, you have to know the risks. If you're worried about it, move - don't expect water-rich areas of the country to share their water at their own risk. Living along the Atlantic coast, we get a lot of negative comments from those elsewhere for buildings homes on beaches in hurricane prone areas (Sandy brought a lot of cruel comments around here from those living elsewhere), those in tornado alley face the same type of scrutiny, why should we go out of our way to share water with those who choose to live in dry areas? We shouldn't, especially when it could potentially destroy our own ecosystems. It may sound kind of harsh, but it is what it is.
I agree completely. I live in Colorado and get to listen to people beg to have their Mcmansions replaced on virgin land when they burn down in a forest fire. They don't want them rebuilt on the burnt land, and they act like it is societies problem that they chose to build in a fire prone area....

People need to take responsibility for their decisions, and the consequences. I think they have already taken far more than their fair share, and you can see it downstream...

If people look at what they have done to the Colorado River Delta, it is easy to understand why it is a terrible idea to give them access to anyone else's water.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,896,057 times
If you are not in the great lakes basin then you can't pipe water to your town. Ask some cities in Wisconsin If that can get water from Lake Michigan.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 AM

1,036 posts, read 789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
If you are not in the great lakes basin then you can't pipe water to your town. Ask some cities in Wisconsin If that can get water from Lake Michigan.
Yes, we have a treaty with Canada concerning use of the Great Lakes.

Even without the treaty, a water pipeline will never happen. The water would have to be piped thousands of feet uphill to the West. We do not have the energy to do this, and even if we did, nobody could afford the water because of the power bill.

This is one of these issues where people get worked up about something that is never going to happen.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:02 AM

21,366 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
I did not know this! I have been supplementing my income illegally for years then. I'll fill up a couple-three dozen, 5 gal watering jugs over at one of the nearby natural wetlands, then drive them down to Phoenix or Vegas and sell them out of the back of my truck for $100 a-pop. If they want me to dump it on their driveways for them, I charge $150. I better stop doing that.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:44 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,833,533 times
Quote:

Same thing with neighboring cities to Erie. If you aren't within a certain proximity, then tough. It doesn't really matter though because there is so much rain and snow in the region. The lakes have enough.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,896,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I did not know this! I have been supplementing my income illegally for years then. I'll fill up a couple-three dozen, 5 gal watering jugs over at one of the nearby natural wetlands, then drive them down to Phoenix or Vegas and sell them out of the back of my truck for $100 a-pop. If they want me to dump it on their driveways for them, I charge $150. I better stop doing that.
If nestle can do it I guess you can too.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,040,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

All the comments like "Our pools still have water" are extremely insulting... yeah, you destroyed a unique ecosystem to keep that water in the pools... which need constant refilling due to evaporation. But you don't swim in the Colorado River Delta, so who cares how it is affected, right?
"We" destroyed the delta? How about you too when you buy produce? Or are you going to tell you only shop local farmers market? Agriculture is responsible for the most use, even in West CO, UT and down. You're arrogant to blame me for decisions made way before I was born in an agriculture industry I don't have control over. Phoenix gets most of its water from the Salt, not the Colorado, but you probably knew that since the delta's your greatest passion in life. You ought to go to the border by Yuma and start a one man extended protest or go around and demand all your local restaurants and grocery stores to stop carrying lettuce and spinach grown with Colorado river, or just cry yourself to sleep looking at black and white photos of the delta, whatever shows you care. Whats really disgusting is that you and so many of these other posters would rather see my hometown where I grew up and all my friends, family, and memories are, disappear for to benefit a swamp in Mexico. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or