U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,541,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well, that's lovely but you live on the other side of the country so you need not worry about telling me how I should live. Yes I went for a swim in the pool last night (it was nice) and the sprinklers came on after the sun went down. The desert is always the easiest scapegoat, as if there was no ecological destruction in other parts of the country. But I guess we're the first ones that should marched to the gallows. Whatever.
There is a serious drought in some areas of the west though and that cannot be ignored. No other area of the country has water problems, and that's a major problem to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,946,819 times
Quote:
Well, that's lovely but you live on the other side of the country so you need not worry about telling me how I should live. Yes I went for a swim in the pool last night (it was nice) and the sprinklers came on after the sun went down. The desert is always the easiest scapegoat, as if there was no ecological destruction in other parts of the country. But I guess we're the first ones that should marched to the gallows. Whatever.
Nice to know that you willingly destroy unique ecosystems so that you can enjoy doing something that could just as easily be done elsewhere without doing the same damage to an eco-region....

People in Tennessee have swimming pools and lawns... they don't rob an entire eco-region of water to achieve it either....

Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM

9,450 posts, read 18,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Nice to know that you willingly destroy unique ecosystems so that you can enjoy doing something that could just as easily be done elsewhere without doing the same damage to an eco-region....

People in Tennessee have swimming pools and lawns... they don't rob an entire eco-region of water to achieve it either....
Well while we're on that topic, people should stop consuming energy produced by burning coal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5RcbPZXUZo

or hydro-power....
Dams and Salmon - Would Removing Dams Restore Wild Salmon Runs?

don't use natural gas to heat your home either.....
Gasland 2: A film by Josh Fox - NOW on HBO

Because if you do then you are willingly destroying ecosystems as you say. But I guess I'm the only bad guy here because I rent at a property with grass and pools.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 07-29-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,331,245 times
Quote:
I can when I control your water and you want it. The OP's question was whether we should pipe water from water-laden areas to areas where it's scarce, and to that end, I do not want to support the habits of those who live beyond their means with precious water -- water we'll all need someday and can't afford to waste.

Also, two wrongs don't make a right. In other words, even if we've made stupid decisions in the past about our environment doesn't mean we should continue making stupid decisions. The buck will certainly stop with water waste.....hopefully soon!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I live an hour away from Lakes Hartwell, Lanier and Oconee.
Reservoir....not a lake. That was my question, since I was under the impression that very few "lakes" exist outside of the Upper Midwest/Northeast.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 AM

9,450 posts, read 18,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I can when I control your water and you want it. The OP's question was whether we should pipe water from water-laden areas to areas where it's scarce, and to that end, I do not want to support the habits of those who live beyond their means with precious water -- water we'll all need someday and can't afford to waste.

Also, two wrongs don't make a right. In other words, even if we've made stupid decisions in the past about our environment doesn't mean we should continue making stupid decisions. The buck will certainly stop with water waste.....hopefully soon!
No we don't need Great Lakes water crossing the Continental Divide. I'd rather see California do desalination and increased usage of reclaimed water for lawns and golf courses in the desert.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Well while we're on that topic, people should stop consuming energy produced by burning coal...

or hydro-power....

Because if you do then you are willingly destroying ecosystems as you say. but I'm the only bad guy here because I rent at a property with grass and pools.
Cheers to no coal. Hydro is relatively harmless compared to most forms of energy, but it's also maxed in potential. Natural Gas is somewhere in the middle between coal and hydro, but also bad for the environment in the long-run and definitely something that should also be limited or mitigated, agreed.

However, few of these things can be as directly impacted as water consumption can be. I can also choose to drive an energy-efficient vehicle to reduce CO2 consumption, walk/bike instead of drive, purchase an electric vehicle, etc. to at least reduce my footprint somewhat, and not go out and purchase a gas-guzzling Hummer and drive 50 miles to/from work every day and live in a cul-de-sac out in the exurbs where we can't walk to anything and water our 2 acres of land with our own pool and playground, watering it daily -- even when it rains, etc. Similarly, I'm not asking that Arizona build the coal plants to subsidize my energy needs across the country -- both polluting AZ on the one hand and being wasteful where I live on the other hand. That's kind of what piping water would be equivalent to, which destroys our environment for the betterment of yours, but only for the short-run because it's not a sustainable activity.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
No we don't need Great Lakes water crossing the Continental Divide. I'd rather see California do desalination and increased usage of reclaimed water for lawns and golf courses in the desert.
I'm fine with desalination but I've never heard of an efficient way of doing it on a large scale. I also don't know what the environmental impacts would be, and again, watering an area that doesn't sustain water or life does not make any sense to me and it WILL be heavily taxed at the very least if people continue to do it. It's already getting cost-prohibitive to water areas in the SW......it'll only become moreso, and the decision to slow down or stop altogether will be made by the residents themselves before anyone else has to step in.

I'm not a dictator but I do believe the marketplace will ultimately control what happens to wasteful consumption of water and energy.....for ALL of us.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:25 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,946,819 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5RcbPZXUZo

or hydro-power....
Dams and Salmon - Would Removing Dams Restore Wild Salmon Runs?

Gasland 2: A film by Josh Fox - NOW on HBO

Because if you do then you are willingly destroying ecosystems as you say. But I guess I'm the only bad guy here because I rent at a property with grass and pools.
Show me an ecosystem unique to the whole planet that has been destroyed by those practices... Regardless, it is NOT the same thing.

Stopping using electricity is MUCH more of a burden than simply relocating to an area that has the natural resources to support the lifestyle you choose.

Last I checked, Salmon are still all over the place.... enough so that they are regularly harvested for food. The Colorado River Delta is DECIMATED. It use to be thousands of square kilometers of lush, green, wetlands... they DO NOT EXIST anymore, it is nothing but desert now.

If your logic leads you to believe that relocating is the same amount of trouble for a human as stopping/greatly reducing energy consumption by the entire human race, your logic is heavily flawed.

A local ecosystem is much smaller than an entire eco-region as well....

You could have your lawn and pool JUST as easily in an area that actually has the water to support it.

(For what it is worth, I advocate clean energies and off the grid self-sufficiency just as much as I advocate people living in areas that do not unnecessarily damage entire eco-regions.)

Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM

912 posts, read 859,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

EXACTLY!

If the drought areas run out of water, then what??? What would you suggest we do?

I'll even take a step back and say, ok, you have a pool, BUT why do you have plants that require sprinklers? Haven't you ever heard of using eco friendly plants, such as types that do not require watering? sprinklers should be outlawed in drought areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or