U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM

273 posts, read 348,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
If Madison had Austin's climate, there would be well over 1,000,000 people living there. Climate aside, Madison exudes every other quality of life attribute. I don't think any city can compare to how Madison pulls off being home to the state capital and the state university.
Um, Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,111 times
Indianapolis is rather underrated in my opinion. It's safe, clean, easy to navigate. They have beautiful monuments all over the city that are all lit up at night. And it has big city amenities like great restaurants, bars, live music, theatre, and shopping.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,323,296 times
Augusta, 3rd smallest state Capital in the US.

(Montpelier is the smallest)

Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Augusta, 3rd smallest state Capital in the US.
It's a pretty boring town. Augusta, well there is I-95, a Wal-Mart, and a state house and not much else. The river is nice, but Augusta doesn't really have anything to do. It's just somewhere you drive through on your way to somewhere else in Maine.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 AM

29,932 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Atlanta...how do I put this nicely? Atlanta's disappointingly boring, dumpy, poorly managed, and lacking of a sort of cultural class and community pride (which is different from the business pride that helped bring the Olympics there in 1996), all considering it's a world Alpha-minus level city. You can keep it.
How extensive is you experience with the city?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 AM

273 posts, read 348,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Indianapolis is rather underrated in my opinion. It's safe, clean, easy to navigate. They have beautiful monuments all over the city that are all lit up at night. And it has big city amenities like great restaurants, bars, live music, theatre, and shopping.
I agree with this. I've enjoyed all of my trips to Indianapolis. Never felt unsafe at all.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:13 PM

2,752 posts, read 1,712,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Atlanta...how do I put this nicely? Atlanta's disappointingly boring, dumpy, poorly managed, and lacking of a sort of cultural class and community pride (which is different from the business pride that helped bring the Olympics there in 1996), all considering it's a world Alpha-minus level city. You can keep it.
There could be an argument for the need for better management, but the rest of this statement is so far off the mark as to be ludicrous.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:34 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,057,715 times
Of the capital cities I've been to, Honolulu is my favorite. I also like Boston, Phoenix, St. Paul, Indianapolis and Des Moines. I live in the latter and it's underrated. Lincoln is just okay, and I hate Lansing. I haven't really explored any of the other state capitals.

Last edited by maniac77; 08-03-2014 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
Of the capital cities I've been to, Honolulu is my favorite. I also like Boston, Phoenix, St. Paul, Indianapolis and Des Moines. I live in the latter and it's underrated. Lincoln is just okay, and I hate Lansing. I haven't really explored any of the other state capitals.
Why do you hate Lansing? East Lansing does have a more active/vibrant Downtown, but Old Town in Lansing is solid and the area actually has a pretty good bus system.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,057,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why do you hate Lansing? East Lansing does have a more active/vibrant Downtown, but Old Town in Lansing is solid and the area actually has a pretty good bus system.
I lived in Lansing for a year and it just seemed really bleak to me. There was a lot of snow, there was a lot of overcast, it was cold, there were a lot of boarded up houses, some of the people were weird, the Michigan accent annoyed me, and the place just depressed me. It was the ideal backdrop for a craptacular time in my life. I went over to East Lansing a couple of times and it was okay. I lived in downtown Lansing and there wasn't much over there at the time by way of businesses and no grocery store. This was in 2000-2001. The capitol building was nice though. Maybe my opinion of the area would have been different if I would've lived in the suburbs or another area of Lansing, but I needed to be downtown. Clara's Train Station Restaurant and the minor league ballpark were cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or