U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 6,888 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I have ever reached out via a forum for some insight into my upcoming decision. I am at an interesting crossroads personally and professionally and I want to make sure that I am making the most sound decision I can through others perspectives and my own research. I will do my best to lay this out.

My fiancé and I live in San Antonio, TX (Stone Oak area). We do not have children and likely may not have them. We currently rent a great home for $1,825/month. I have lived here for 5 years and she is from this area and her family still lives here. I was sent here for a federal government job with the Department of Justice. At the time, I was living in Raleigh, NC (loved it). I am from Atlanta, GA (my elderly parents still live there) and lived a year in Orlando, FL. My fiancé works in neuro monitoring (medical field). She has a really great job here and pulls down approx 95k.

My dilemma is this... I am at a crossroads in my career where I could take a promotion and go to Jax, FL. I would get a 10k bump and a free move. If I take it, I will have to stay in JAX for at least 4-6 years. This would put me back on the east coast and closer to my family. However, there is a trade off. My fiancé would have to leave her higher paying job and likely take a 25k hit. We can afford the hit, we do not carry debt. We would also be leaving her family as well (younger - better health parents). If I do not take it, I am pretty much saying that I do not want the promotion and will be here much longer with less chance of promotions in the future.

I think we are fine with moving to Jax in theory and we are fine with staying. The problem is, I do not know a think about Jacksonville, FL as far as living? I do not know how it would compare to San Antonio. I find that I miss the east coast and I also find San Antonio fairly blah and boring. That is not a knock against it, it is just a very family oriented city. We are not ones to go out a party and all that. However, we have found it difficult to get out and find a great happening atmosphere on a Sat afternoon. Most of the time, we end up going up to Austin on the weekends just to enjoy a better scene. We go to the lake often up there (no water in SA).

I know there are some threads on this topic, I read those. I am wanting to put out the specifics and see if there are those who can give me a better perspective of Jax, FL and how it may compare to San Antonio. Which do you find to be a better place to live? If I am giving up my career advancement, I want to make sure I am not taking JAX because of substantial reasons in comparison to SA. If I do take the career advancement, I want to make sure JAX does offer enough in quality of life to offset what I am leaving here. Any insight, advice, or perspective?

I really appreciate your valuable time with this important question! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 02:24 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
One thing I can say is that if you find San Antonio blah and boring with its tourist attractions and nice downtown, moving to Jacksonville would be jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM

731 posts, read 1,186,979 times
Jacksonville is pretty family-oriented as well, but the beach and river offer a bunch to do if you like being on the water like you said. The cost of living is pretty similar so you'll be making more money with a $10k raise. I say take the job if you want to be on the east coast and enjoy being outdoors; Jacksonville is perfect for that.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 PM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
I think SA and Jax are rather comparable cities to live in. TOTALLY different culture, but I just mean that the amenities and activities offered are both just OK...not horrible but still lacking in more than a few areas.

So if you could be more specific in your likes and dislikes and desired activities, then perhaps we could help you out more. But sorry off of your first post I don't have a strong inclination to advise you definitively one way or another.

Just recently, the General Manager of the Hyatt in DT Jax swapped positions with the GM of a Hyatt resort in SA. Lol...apparently they both really wanted each other's jobs.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,268,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow123 View Post
This is the first time I have ever reached out via a forum for some insight into my upcoming decision. I am at an interesting crossroads personally and professionally and I want to make sure that I am making the most sound decision I can through others perspectives and my own research. I will do my best to lay this out.

My fiancé and I live in San Antonio, TX (Stone Oak area). We do not have children and likely may not have them. We currently rent a great home for $1,825/month. I have lived here for 5 years and she is from this area and her family still lives here. I was sent here for a federal government job with the Department of Justice. At the time, I was living in Raleigh, NC (loved it). I am from Atlanta, GA (my elderly parents still live there) and lived a year in Orlando, FL. My fiancé works in neuro monitoring (medical field). She has a really great job here and pulls down approx 95k.

My dilemma is this... I am at a crossroads in my career where I could take a promotion and go to Jax, FL. I would get a 10k bump and a free move. If I take it, I will have to stay in JAX for at least 4-6 years. This would put me back on the east coast and closer to my family. However, there is a trade off. My fiancé would have to leave her higher paying job and likely take a 25k hit. We can afford the hit, we do not carry debt. We would also be leaving her family as well (younger - better health parents). If I do not take it, I am pretty much saying that I do not want the promotion and will be here much longer with less chance of promotions in the future.

I think we are fine with moving to Jax in theory and we are fine with staying. The problem is, I do not know a think about Jacksonville, FL as far as living? I do not know how it would compare to San Antonio. I find that I miss the east coast and I also find San Antonio fairly blah and boring. That is not a knock against it, it is just a very family oriented city. We are not ones to go out a party and all that. However, we have found it difficult to get out and find a great happening atmosphere on a Sat afternoon. Most of the time, we end up going up to Austin on the weekends just to enjoy a better scene. We go to the lake often up there (no water in SA).

I know there are some threads on this topic, I read those. I am wanting to put out the specifics and see if there are those who can give me a better perspective of Jax, FL and how it may compare to San Antonio. Which do you find to be a better place to live? If I am giving up my career advancement, I want to make sure I am not taking JAX because of substantial reasons in comparison to SA. If I do take the career advancement, I want to make sure JAX does offer enough in quality of life to offset what I am leaving here. Any insight, advice, or perspective?

I really appreciate your valuable time with this important question! Thanks!
Jax is smaller than S.A. So you will find more to do in S.A. Its a bigger city and bigger cities usually have more amenities. As far as having to go to Austin, I doubt people from SA go Austin for a better scene, SA has more in the entertainment, theme parks, sporting events, shopping, arts, etx. If you want nightlife, both cities have a vibrant nightlife, Austin has sixth street, but its not for everyone. Both cities have parks and outdoor recreation.

Back on the topic of Jax vs SA, I've never been there but I'm sure it has a nice beach, SA is 2 hours from the coast.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,586,378 times

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-12-2014, 02:01 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,586,378 times
Don't know how my text got left out in the post above but what I meant to type is If you choose Jacksonville you will always be able to take a less than 2 hour straight shot up I-95 to Savannah for a change of pace and some nightlife.

More Savannah

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Galounger; 08-12-2014 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or