U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM

26 posts, read 30,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I have absolutely no idea why Bend, OR (or the more affordable Redmond) is not on your short list. It's a little pricey- but so is nearly every city in the west. It's greener (many more trees than FOCO), more mild, and has a much more "mountainy feel" than Ft. Collins with great access to the Cascades and all kinds of great scenery, plus a lot of sunshine. Very hike/bike/kayak friendly, with a great microbrew scene (a la Asheville, but with better breweries IMHO) and an overall focus on active/healthy lifestyles. Speaking of the Cascades, cities on the eastern side are much sunnier and drier than anything on the western side of OR or WA. The only thing that doesn't fit your criteria is proximity to a bigger city, as Portland is 3 hours away.
Thanks! We ARE actually looking at Orgeon, including Bend (and will look into Redmond) - sounds great! We just have to figure out a time to visit, as I have never been to Oregon, and my husband hasn't been in 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
You said you want to stay out of the Deep South? So South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are out of the picture? Just making sure, because there are indeed places that fit your description in the Deep South like Greenville, SC. Moving on, Charlottesville is a good suggestion IMO judging from your description. If you're more familiar with NC, Charlottesville is almost like a cross between Asheville and Chapel Hill located in the foothills of VA. It's only an hour from Richmond, and about two hours from the DC metro. Not to mention the Triangle region of NC, which is roughly three hours to the south. It's a college town, but I don't get a strong hippie vibe when I visit (complete opposite story in Asheville). It's a very old area, almost has a prestigious, southern vibe to it(and this is the case for most of Virginia). Plenty of old estates like Monticello and Ash Lawn-Highland in the vicinity. I definitely recommend looking into Charlottesville.

Thank you. We're definitely not expecting to move south of NC, in part due to humidity. I was born and raised in NC and know it very well. My impression from a few trips to Charlottesville is that is more yuppie than I'd love. Having lived in the Triangle many years, I would say it is NOT a strong hippie scene, save some parts of Durham and perhaps Carrboro.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Charlottesville is pretty, but you will get more winter there. Not much in the way of nature, kayaking, etc. Maybe a little snooty (imo). (ut oh ... must duck and run now )

Asheville is the city with the big "marketing" hype and plenty of hippy types but they are only downtown Avl. (Asheville, the area, actually has 11 zip codes.) Beautiful areas outside of the city of Asheville, yet great access to all there is to offer. Weaverville, Black Mountain, Hendersonville, Waynesville and so forth. Four seasons, but that #4 is very moderate, of course, depending on elevation. Some humidity in the summer, but no biggie for most of us; plenty of forests, vegetation contribute to the corresponding weather. Waterfalls abound, hiking, the music scene is awesome everywhere around here. Mostly laid back, friendly atmosphere, a haven for tourists from June through October and a popular retirement area as well. Must be a reason.

www.romanticasheville.com

www.visitnc.com

www.mountainx.com

www.historichendersonville.org

www.carolinaliving.com
Asheville is definitely my long-time and first true love. We can't move there (or the wonderful currounding communities), though, unfortunately, despite spending a great deal of time there for the past 20 years - and occasionally many years before that.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,457 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
There was an offline discussion of this today. The fad is called Trendy - the new younger hipster yuppies generation.

If the OP wants real hippies, then move to one of the small towns (under 5000) in Appalachia or NE where the 60s hippies set up camp.
The Farm (Tennessee)

Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
RIP Stephen Gaskin!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:06 PM

778 posts, read 1,459,950 times
I recommend checking out Boise already mentioned plus Idaho Falls (close proximity to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone) in Idaho and northern CA towns such as Chico, Davis, Sonoma, Santa Rosa,including the hill country just east of Sacramento lots of nice towns not nationally know even venture as far south as San Luis Obispo smack in the center of the state, lovely town incredible mild climate and is quite green.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,206,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stars View Post
REQUIRE lots of sunshine, low humidity, and no harsh winter or summer weather....Less brown than Fort Collins, a bit hippie-ish like Asheville, weather more like Fort Collins, access to grand national treasures/parks like Fort Collins,
Flagstaff. Weather is almost identical to any city along the front range but Flag is greener. Any mountain city in AZ is going to be a bit rednecky though and it's a solid 2.5 hour drive to the airport in Phoenix. Also, not many jobs.

You might also think about Bend, OR. It's gorgeous but quite far to the airport in Eugene and not many jobs.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:00 AM

1,427 posts, read 2,569,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stars View Post
I think that's a reasonable way to put it. I am not seeking pot, dreads, and patchouli, although those are generally fine by me... I am seeking deeper, lasting ideals like peaceful coexistence, embracing diversity, neighborliness, connection to the land, reverence for animals and the planet... that sort of thing, without putting a great deal of time into articulating it.

My husband and I are professionals, raising young children. We want them to live in a place where environmental stewardship and neighborly behavior are the norms. We want our friends and neighbors to be as into National Parks, camping, and star gazing as we are. We want to bike to many of our destinations, and the icing on cake would be a very vegan-friendly place.
I'd also suggest Santa Fe/Taos, even Las Vegas, NM. The areas tick most of your boxes, except perhaps the 'great public education" and availability of high-paying professional jobs boxes. However, if you're seriously looking at the interior west, I think the whole "I want a swimming pool and lush green lawn" thing doesn't really jibe with what you said above about environmental stewardship and neighborly behavior.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,792,893 times
I recommend looking into Athens, OH - Official Website (ATHENS, OHIO). Athens is a beautiful college town located in the scenic Appalachian foothills of Southeastern Ohio. The very well known OHIO UNIVERSITY is located there, which brings a strong element of diversity and culture to the region. The large city of Columbus is a mere 1 hour away if you desire the amenities of a large metropolitan region.

The city is widely known for its hippie-ish vibe and culture - liberal and open minded populace. Winter's are not too harsh in this region of the state either.

Athens is a quaint town located in a very beautiful region of Ohio - recreational opportunities are bountiful with the scenic HOCKING HILLS STATE PARK & FOREST not too far away ...

My two cents on this topic. Good luck! ;-)

Home :: Athens County Visitor's Bureau :: Athens County Visitor's Bureau

( PHOTOS - WIKIPEDIA )

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or