U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,520,622 times

Advertisements

Albany could work too. Being a state capital and home to a large state university, the economy is pretty strong. The people are left-leaning, non-religious, with a live-and-let-live mentality. You'd be an hour from the Adirondacks, which offers some of the best hiking north of the Carolinas.

And in case you'd like to go away for a long weekend, you'd be two hours from NYC, two and a half hours from Boston, and three hours from Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 AM

21,230 posts, read 30,469,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasement10 View Post
Thanks guys I'll look into all the cities recommended, never thought about Pittsburgh. @creeksitter , I'm a chef and it would be nice to be near tall mountains but mostly looking to just be around nature in general. Like lots of places to go hiking, biking, walking, close vicinity to camping and outdoor activities. A place where people are intelligent, well traveled, open to new ideas, like to recycle, cool bookstores, small businesses, people that like to grow their own food, artists, that type of stuff. Never would of thought about Tallahasee or Burllington, thanks @nep321
If you can get past the mountain at your doorstep aspect I would recommend the Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro
metro in NC. It nails all of your other criteria including a very strong food/culinary scene and the mountains are a fairly easy two hour drive.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 AM

56,810 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Albany could work too. Being a state capital and home to a large state university, the economy is pretty strong. The people are left-leaning, non-religious, with a live-and-let-live mentality. You'd be an hour from the Adirondacks, which offers some of the best hiking north of the Carolinas.

And in case you'd like to go away for a long weekend, you'd be two hours from NYC, two and a half hours from Boston, and three hours from Montreal.
I thought about Albany and the OP may be able to find something in Saratoga Springs, given the strong tourism scene there. That puts them closer to the Adirondacks. Albany isn't too far from the Catskills and Berkshires as well.

As for specific areas that fit what the OP is looking for, the Center Square neighborhood of Albany, Downtown Troy, Jay Street and the Union Triangle in Schenectady and Saratoga Springs would fit.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times
Quote:
A place where people are intelligent, well traveled, open to new ideas, like to recycle, cool bookstores, small businesses, people that like to grow their own food, artists, that type of stuff.
You know this describes Asheville to a T. Finding a job could be a challenge but they might appreciate your cooking talents. Another contender is Charlottesville. You'll find people who fit that description in Knoxville and Chattanooga, but they will be spread out among lots more middle and working class people. Is that a problem?

You mention Roanoake - I love downtown Roanoake and it is nestled in the mountains - but can't say much about the demographics.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 AM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times
I should rephrase that to say I'm not familiar with the demographics of Roanoake.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 18,433 times
Thanks everyone I'm going to be in the East Coast for a wedding in October and probably going to take a road trip through some of these towns. Back to work for now, cheers.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM

87,051 posts, read 102,770,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

Have lived in both, def. not the same. Albany is standard nanny-state liberalism. Denver is libertarianist.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,947,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Have lived in both, def. not the same. Albany is standard nanny-state liberalism. Denver is libertarianist.
I agree with the above statement. (Have only visited Albany, lived in the region for a short while.)

Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM

56,810 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I guess, but that post isn't incorrect and has areas that fit the criteria that the OP laid out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.