U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 AM

17 posts, read 14,795 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. First post here on city data, so i hope im in the right forum.

Im looking for a change of city. I currently live in Denver, CO and after four years, its getting stale, so i am looking for recommendations on where i might move to next. I enjoy spending time on the east coast, although there is of course a difference between soaking in a city over a week and actually living there. I have also made efforts this year to visit places that i might like to live - new york city, seattle, san francisco, portland and rhode island so far - all of which ive really liked, but none of which ( aside from ri, but i have reservations about that that ill go into later, if youre still reading ) I have had that 'yup. This is the one.' moment.

To give you all a bit of context, i work in technology and marketing. I work for myself and make what i feel is a good living, 29 and a solid six figure annual income, which, in fairness is part of whats keeping me here. Technically speaking i can and do work remotely, but if my clients were all to decide that me not living in state would not work for them, i would need to be somewhere where i can get a job and continue to grow my career in a company.

So for what its worth, there are things that get to me about Denver that id like to share. It might come off as griping, but hopefully it'll help aid recommendations from the community.

First and foremost, the summers here are awful. Its absurdly hot and never cools at night. The city literally cooks, to varying degrees ( no pun intended ) for 12 weeks of the year. Somewhere where its 55 to 75 for most of the year would be ideal. Im fine with rain.

Secondly, as im sure many of you are aware, Denver is a growing city. Which on the surface is great, but in reality has a lot of baggage. The entire culture of the city is unfortunately being guided by the cool and informed who saw opportunity here. Which is to say, people who moved from larger cities and basically ripped off the music, art, culture and restaurants that they saw there. And whether you agree or not, its all a bit soulless, because its not growing organically. So id like to see a city with some real roots and hard fought identity.

Thirdly. The value for money here is awful. I see cheap looking row homes go up in a matter of months, then sell for 500k in areas where urban renewal has only just started, and people pay it. More power to the developers, but i think to myself well, i could buy an apartment in boston for that. Or seattle. Or oregon. Places that have already been through their renewal phases and are 'settled' to some extent.

The same can be said of the food. There are a few nice restaurants here. I also pay about the same there as i do in new york city.

TLDR ( fair ) i dont want to live somewhere where the city's direction is articulated by clueless hipsters with trust funds, and i want out before it comes crashing down.

If you've read this far, thank you for bearing with me and reading my ranting. I hope it helps frame what i dislike about my current city. As i said, i have visited several places this year and hers what i liked about them.

New york. So much to do, if i lived in the city id never get any work done but never a dull moment. If i could find somewhere tranquil, calm and maybe even coastal ( though i think that would be beyond my price range ) within commuting distance, id sit in the car for a couple of hours a day.

Seattle. I loved it. Plenty of jobs that fit my skill set. Friendly people, awesome food, nice, cool weather. My reservation ( and i apologize to anyone from there that i may inadvertently offend with this ) but folks look a little downtrodden and grey. There may be something about living there that is not apparent in a four day trip.

San Francisco. SF. On paper you have everything i want. Im just not into you. Presumably the feeling is mutual. Moving on...

Portland. Portland is, in my view, what Denver is trying to become. Its been through the process of weeding out the trite, the contrived and whats left is some really interesting stuff. Theres also alot of bs left, and portlandia was an accurate depiction.

Rhode island. I love this place. Id live there in a second but the economy seems massively divided, with very few companies in tech, marketing, etc etc. could i live here and work in Boston?

Incidentally, the next two places i intend to visit are Boston and Maine.

Tldr2 : So there you have it. Id love to hear recommendations from the community. Towns are great as long as i can commute to a place that will give me a job. Coastal is ideal. Cool summers. Great people who love where they live.

Ideas? Thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 12:44 PM

Anyone?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:11 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,950,831 times
New York, Rhode Island and Boston all have about the same average high temperatures as Denver in the summer. Particularly New York, they also are all more humid than Denver so the same hot temperature often feels much hotter.

If you want a cool summer where temperatures rarely go above 80, pretty much nowhere on the East Coast will work for you.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:34 PM

@stateofnature - thank you for your response. I would like to avoid humidity. Do you have any suggestions of places that might be more agreeable that I haven't listed?

Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,547,777 times
So are you planning on renting or buying?
So are you saying your budget is $500K?
So how long of a commute are you willing to make?

Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,853,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
New York, Rhode Island and Boston all have about the same average high temperatures as Denver in the summer. Particularly New York, they also are all more humid than Denver so the same hot temperature often feels much hotter.

If you want a cool summer where temperatures rarely go above 80, pretty much nowhere on the East Coast will work for you.
Maine.

If you can stand to be away from the coast, then Western NY, Parts of North Central PA, Vermont, NH, and Maine will have very few hot days.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 PM

@nightlysparrow - thanks for the questions!

Quote:
So are you planning on renting or buying?
Not sure. I currently rent and am willing to continue to do so until the 'right' place comes up, wherever that may be. I am happy renting until I feel comfortable making a purchase since (not wanting to derail the thread) houses are not, in my view, a good place to put money.

Quote:
So are you saying your budget is $500K?
I assume youre referring to this line -

Quote:
Thirdly. The value for money here is awful. I see cheap looking row homes go up in a matter of months, then sell for 500k in areas where urban renewal has only just started, and people pay it. More power to the developers, but i think to myself well, i could buy an apartment in boston for that. Or seattle. Or oregon. Places that have already been through their renewal phases and are 'settled' to some extent.
Im not saying my budget is 500K. Im saying that for that amount of money I could buy an apartment in a city where salaries are a little more commensurate with the cost of living. Denver is experiencing a boom right now, and particle board homes are flying up everywhere. A good location in a relatively small city does not represent good value for money for me, so I suppose what I am saying is that if I had a budget of 500K, a quick trulia search pulls up some very nice properties, conveniently located, in larger cities (im not saying New York, SF, Chicago). I dont need a ton of space. My place now is 1300sqft and I could live quite happily in half of that.

Quote:
So how long of a commute are you willing to make?

Good question and thank you for asking. Honestly, if I could come home to a nice coastal breeze and some water to look at, id drive an hour and change each way if I had to drive into a major city for a job.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 PM

@bluecarebear

thank you for the suggestions. I am going to check out Maine for sure.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:53 PM

57,162 posts, read 81,589,323 times
Does it have to be coastal or would something a little inland work for you? I only ask, because the Albany NY area has a steadily growing tech sector and is in the middle of this region:

http://www.techvalley.org

Home : Tech Valley Connect

Tech it Out! Homepage

Your guide to New York's Tech Valley region - Albany Business Review

Tech Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,547,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intotheflood View Post
Technically speaking i can and do work remotely
a city with some real roots and hard fought identity. Places that have already been through their renewal phases and are 'settled' to some extent
somewhere tranquil, calm as long as i can commute to a place that will give me a job. Coastal is ideal. Cool summers. Great people who love where they live.
A lot would depend of course on you working remotely, but some of the small cities right on the ocean in California like Oxnard, Port Hueneme and Ventura would work. Yes, they are more affordable that you'd imagine. Cool summers, people who love where they live, and these cities are settled. For jobs, there is some tech nearby if you lucked out, but could you commute into the LA Metro if you had to? Well, it depends on where in the metro. The LA County border is 30 miles from Oxnard, but downtown LA is 61 miles (although that is not particularly a tech hub). And Oxnard and Ventura do have Amtrak. There's a forum here for Ventura County if you're interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or