U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,758,943 times

Advertisements

Looking at a few states like Dallas TX, Nashville TN and outside of Atlanta GA for a possible move. Would like to hear from people in and around these areas about the storms. How often do they knock out power? How long is it usually out? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:18 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,851,659 times
They're all bad; everyone dies.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:23 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,758,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
They're all bad; everyone dies.
Ive lived in southern California most my life. A "storm" here is a few clouds and a few drops of rain. Ive heard power outages can be frequent and last for quite awhile in some of these areas. just thought Id ask

Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,575,280 times
Severe storms are very common through out Texas and the rest of the south as well as the midwest. For power outage I know here in Austin we had some strong t-storms move through not to long ago and knock out power for some. Just depends how badly the storms are in your area, I've seen part of the city get flooded and part that never got a drop of rain.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,179,997 times
Thunderstorms can be pretty severe but this is typically only during the spring and occasionally summer. Upper south cities like Dallas, Nashville and Atlanta are more prone to hail and the mostly infrequent threat of tornadoes. Areas closer to the Gulf and Atlantic Coast face infrequent threats of hurricanes and tropical storms. Virtually the entirety of the south is subject to flash flooding, gusting winds and heavy downpours, but the really severe stuff rarely comes without warning.

If you have lived down south or in the Midwest long enough, you learn how judge the severity of an oncoming storm by the color of the clouds rolling in as well as temperature in the air. If the clouds are incredibly dark but the air still feels warm, prepare to get slammed by some heavy rain. If those same clouds are rolling in with a strong breeze of cool air, chances are there is hail headed your way. What I love the most about it is the atmosphere in the air following a supercell event. The temperature stays cool (even in the heat of summer) and the remaining clouds usually look very beautiful. If you're the type to enjoy this kind of weather, you have to live in flat cities like Miami Houston or even Chicago to take full advantage of the sky scenery.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:14 PM

421 posts, read 468,558 times
I live in Houston (14 years), so not quite Dallas, but storms rarely knock out power. Just the other day there was a doozy of a thunder storm and a lightning strike hit a tree which fell on several people working on a house just down the street from us. It shook our house and scared my kid and dogs half to death. But our power didnt go out. The only time it has for more then a few hours was hurricane Ike several years back. 2 weeks with no power in September really blew.

Flash flooding is a pain, but you learn to wait it out, sometimes in parking lots. It isn't going to hurt you if you dont test your luck. But the water goes down quickly once the rain stops.

Some summers (this one) we get daily thunderstorms. Not really a huge issue, its too hot to be out doing anything anyways. And the rain helps with pollen and cools things off for a bit. We had a couple bad drought summers too. Rain or not, summers are brutal with temps above 90F with high humidity for a good 5 months, and a few days peppered in the rest of the year that are way too hot.

When I first got here, the weather scared me half to death. When finding a house its really important to find out the flood history. If it has ever flooded, it *will* flood again.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 36,416,452 times
I've lived in the South most of my life, and in northeast Texas for the past 25 years or so. I LOVE OUR STORMS. I've been through too many to count, but have only had significant property damage during two of them. Occasionally we lose power for a few hours. During Hurricane Ike we lost power for four days and had to replace our roof (yes, this far inland!) but that was the worst of the worst around here.

We get tornadoes and hail regularly but they rarely do any widespread damage - like never, actually. However, if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can get caught unawares. We have at least one tornado warning (usually more than that) per year but the actual damage is very sporadic and not at all widespread.

Personally I enjoy the thrill of a big storm and when I lived in Europe I really missed our thunderstorms and the threat of severe weather. I know that sounds weird but it's true.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM

13,347 posts, read 17,859,784 times
NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center
National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) | The world's largest active archive of weather and climate data producing and supplying data and publications for the world.

dfw storms - Bing Images

Google will be your friend. DFW offers everything from airports/school/government/businesses closed because of ice and snow to higher insurance rates because of frequent hail damage to blistering hot temperatures and tornados. Generator and tornado shelter and you will be set.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 AM

6,873 posts, read 7,832,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in the South most of my life, and in northeast Texas for the past 25 years or so. I LOVE OUR STORMS. I've been through too many to count, but have only had significant property damage during two of them. Occasionally we lose power for a few hours. During Hurricane Ike we lost power for four days and had to replace our roof (yes, this far inland!) but that was the worst of the worst around here.
Oddly enough, I agree with KA that I loved the storms. Being from the northeast, I had never seen such dramatic weather as I had during my 26 years in Houston. The amount of rain that dropped from the sky in some storms was simply amazing. Here's the rub, however - it was only fun for me when I was at home or at work. Being trapped in a car in a parking lot, or worse, being caught on a freeway when I could barely see the car in front of me led to some white knuckles. But, you get used to it.

Before moving back north a few years ago, we spent the last 15 years of our time in Houston in the Montrose area and would guess we only had about half a dozen short-lived power outages in that time. However, when Hurricane Ike hit, we were without power for 10 days. It was also the third time we needed to replace the carpeting due to flooding (even though surveys said we were outside the 100-year flood plain - go figure?). We had flood insurance and while it a hassle to mess with all of it, it came with the territory.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-29-2014 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM

19 posts, read 17,348 times
Storms hunt for awful places in Mississippi, sw Alabama, western to central TN, bootheel MO...If you like bad storms get you a mobile home trailer in a park in any of those places, you'll enjoy being out of power for a minimum of 4 days. Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or