U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2007, 10:30 AM

13 posts, read 35,863 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Maikl and I am from Europe, Prague. Four years ago I spend allmost 1 year in South Cali, concretely San Diego and I loved it there. Weather, people, beaches, atmosphere everything except the small houses . Because you know when we watch american movies in TV, there are like big houses with nice english grass and when I came to San Diego I was like oh man wtf where are these big houses, everything here has only one floor )haha only joking

Well, Why I am writing this post here. How I said, I love America and it means I would like to spend more time there, for example 5 years. I ve just finished high school in europe, so i would like to go to university in USA. I play soccer on high level so my guestion is " Is there some way how to go to college and get some scholarship"? Which university should I look for? Which states? It shouldn´t be in California. It can be east coast, midwest, whatever. Also I like parties and making new friends, so it should be like more friendly a social university you know what I mean don´t you?

If somebody can help me, please answer. Thanks Maikl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 78,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikl View Post
Hi my name is Maikl and I am from Europe, Prague. Four years ago I spend allmost 1 year in South Cali, concretely San Diego and I loved it there. Weather, people, beaches, atmosphere everything except the small houses . Because you know when we watch american movies in TV, there are like big houses with nice english grass and when I came to San Diego I was like oh man wtf where are these big houses, everything here has only one floor )haha only joking

Well, Why I am writing this post here. How I said, I love America and it means I would like to spend more time there, for example 5 years. I ve just finished high school in europe, so i would like to go to university in USA. I play soccer on high level so my guestion is " Is there some way how to go to college and get some scholarship"? Which university should I look for? Which states? It shouldn´t be in California. It can be east coast, midwest, whatever. Also I like parties and making new friends, so it should be like more friendly a social university you know what I mean don´t you?

If somebody can help me, please answer. Thanks Maikl
you won't find many better Public Universities in America than the Univerisity of Illinois! Check it out www.uiuc.edu

Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,229,002 times
Only rich people can afford those big houses you see in California. soccer is Gaining Popularity here in the US, but still is sort of small. I don't know any big Soccer colleges. Their is more the US then San Diego and you might inevitably dislike an area because not all areas are like San Diego.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 PM

307 posts, read 1,036,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Their is more the US then San Diego and you might inevitably dislike an area because not all areas are like San Diego.
That is why he said
"Which states? It shouldn´t be in California. It can be east coast, midwest,"

Try to look for a population or a community that speaks a Czech Language in America!! (I speak Russian and I've been to Prague before !!) If you liked San Diego try Los Angeles or San Francisco as research cities for you to live in!! Are you the type of person that does not show an importance to materialism? You can rent a very small apartment/studio in an average neighborhood for a money value that is in your pocket.

Finding a place to live is the biggest hastle, think about roomates too! But do not get a roomate who is a party animal. lol

Also what type of profession interests you??

Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,229,002 times
with all due respect, i believe that what he mean by "Which states? It shouldn´t be in California. It can be east coast, midwest," was ' which states? it doesn't have to be California...etc' and what is more so i don't believe my comments had anything to do with this quote. The liking or disliking of California is not shown in the quote, and what is more so he said he liked it. So I'm sorta of confused about what your correcting me about...

They're many Czech people here in Texas but very few of them know Czech. They're pretty much Americans nows. You will find the most number of Czechs who speak Czech probably in Chicago or New York.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 AM

Well, thanks to all for answers. I am sorry for the sentence, " it shouldn´t be a California......." I wanted to write that it doesn´t need to be California....I mean, that states is not important for me. I like hot weather, four season everything. So I will like Texas, Utah, New York whatever .

I just want to know some university which can maybe give me a athletic scholarship, and there is a good nightlife.

Oh and I am interested in business, and some kind of management. I also like psychology.

And about Czech people. That is what I don´t want. . I mean I want to met new American friends not Czech. If I want Czech, I can stay home.Got it?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,873 times
Default What I can tell you

As for college, you may want to take a few things into consideration:

1) Major - Colleges are usually either geared toward the liberal arts or math/science/engineering/tech. I went to college based on location. You might want to think about what area(s) you are interested in getting your degree in. ie, Medical, business, technology. These days here, one of the best degrees is in the medical field.

1) Weather - In general, the NE is very cold and gets snow in winter; the SE is warmer with little to no snow; the S is warm/humid; I can't speak about the midwest or west coast.

2) Geography - do you want to be near the coast? East Coast is very different from west coast of US. Do you want to be near/in the mountains? The largest mountains(in elevation) on the east coast exist in western North Carolina/eastern Tennessee

3) Size of university - Do you want to go to large university or smaller, more intimate college? Public or private...public universities are usually more affordable. You may be able to apply for a minority scholarship of some sort. There are all sorts of scholarships out there.

4) Soccer - I too played a high level of soccer. You can tryout as a walk-on anywhere. There is somewhere for you to play soccer. The top level is a NCAA Division I university followed by Div. II, Div. III, NAIA. There are parts of the US where soccer is extremely popular and there are others where American football, baseball, and basketball still completely rule. Some top soccer schools this year were Duke Univ., Maryland Univ., Univ. of Virginia, West Virginia Univ., Clemson Univ., UCLA, Illinois-Chicago, and Wake Forest Univ. who won the Div. I Championships. You can also send a "soccer resume" to some schools to see if you get any phone calls.

5) Parties - Every college has parties. Some are just larger than others.

As for big houses, you will find that especially in Southern Cal. that the cost of living is very high. California is in a lot of movies, but the green grass and huge houses are likely in the NE US in the New England states. The NW is green but cold. The east coast in general is green with rolling hills and mountains inland. The coastal areas are mostly flat. Florida is the warmest state year round...no mountains though.

Good luck in your search for a college. You will enjoy your time in college. Take advantage of all that the school offers. Go on the free trips, the sports events, parties, friends, and make time to study.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrv369 View Post
As for college, you may want to take a few things into consideration:

1) Major - Colleges are usually either geared toward the liberal arts or math/science/engineering/tech. I went to college based on location. You might want to think about what area(s) you are interested in getting your degree in. ie, Medical, business, technology. These days here, one of the best degrees is in the medical field.

1) Weather - In general, the NE is very cold and gets snow in winter; the SE is warmer with little to no snow; the S is warm/humid; I can't speak about the midwest or west coast.

2) Geography - do you want to be near the coast? East Coast is very different from west coast of US. Do you want to be near/in the mountains? The largest mountains(in elevation) on the east coast exist in western North Carolina/eastern Tennessee

3) Size of university - Do you want to go to large university or smaller, more intimate college? Public or private...public universities are usually more affordable. You may be able to apply for a minority scholarship of some sort. There are all sorts of scholarships out there.

4) Soccer - I too played a high level of soccer. You can tryout as a walk-on anywhere. There is somewhere for you to play soccer. The top level is a NCAA Division I university followed by Div. II, Div. III, NAIA. There are parts of the US where soccer is extremely popular and there are others where American football, baseball, and basketball still completely rule. Some top soccer schools this year were Duke Univ., Maryland Univ., Univ. of Virginia, West Virginia Univ., Clemson Univ., UCLA, Illinois-Chicago, and Wake Forest Univ. who won the Div. I Championships. You can also send a "soccer resume" to some schools to see if you get any phone calls.

5) Parties - Every college has parties. Some are just larger than others.

As for big houses, you will find that especially in Southern Cal. that the cost of living is very high. California is in a lot of movies, but the green grass and huge houses are likely in the NE US in the New England states. The NW is green but cold. The east coast in general is green with rolling hills and mountains inland. The coastal areas are mostly flat. Florida is the warmest state year round...no mountains though.

Good luck in your search for a college. You will enjoy your time in college. Take advantage of all that the school offers. Go on the free trips, the sports events, parties, friends, and make time to study.
Thank you so much for your tips. It really helped me a lot . Well I am going to search for universities and then write some emails to them with some info about my soccer achievements.

Now the east coast seems nicer for me, because like I said, I was in west coast once, so maybe now it is a time for east coast ....

So once again, thank you very much. I will probably write something soon

Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM

2,372 posts, read 5,137,155 times
Default Give University of Memphis a look

University of Memphis has a great soccer program and they do bring in kids from Europe a lot!

http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-...ccer-body.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.