U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM

19 posts, read 17,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes, a place can make you unhappy. You can do your best to make the best of it, but if it's not a good fit for your personality, lifestyle and desires, then you likely won't ever be happy there. It's kind of like a job.
well I agree and disagree a bit...my job took me to Memphis FedEx the corp home..I had no idea how behind the times the city was...NOT the company...how my company maintains a corporate office there in Memphis is somehow over my head, given the vast number of choices of other cities...maybe it's the CEO Fred Smith...who actually lives there in the Shady Grove area...but Memphis in total pretty much sucks in my opinion.

Places can make you terribly unhappy for sure, but there are always reasons why people and employees are unhappy it seems to me.

No matter to me, I left the miserable environment of Memphis, and I would leave any city that I thought I was unhappy in...no matter the city, but Memphis is the pitts, if it were not for FedEx the city would be a wide spot in the road in my opinion....and still miserable to a lot of transferees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:11 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,826 times
I loved my job but I was unhappy in the south Florida area. Now that I have moved back to the Midwest, I am much happier and feel at peace.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM

142 posts, read 74,443 times
I think a place can definitely make you feel unhappy. Some people prefer the city, some a small town. Some prefer warm weather, some cold weather. Some prefer mountains, and some beaches. It really just depends on the person. But if you find yourself in a place that you don't like, there's no reason to believe you'll be stuck there forever. Everyone can find the place that makes them happy, if they're open to finding it. However, there will always be those people who complain about everything, they can find the negative in anything and any place. These people will never be truly happy until they find happiness within themselves.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:20 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,555,130 times
I guess I got lucky because I moved around very early but parents settled in Lafayette which is an amazing place. Theres literally no other place I can think of that is like it or could replace it.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:11 AM

213 posts, read 208,015 times
I strongly believe that living in a place that you don't like will lead to unhappiness and that while making the best of the situation is a positive approach for a while,but attempting to do this for a lifetime is where the misery sets in.

No place is perfect but sometimes a place serves it purpose for us and we outgrow it or it simply is not a good fit for where we are in our life.

I was born & raised in NW Arkansas, moved away to NC for a brief period and felt much more at home there. I had to move back to to NW Arkansas due to a set of circumstances and have felt stuck and stagnant here despite it being a fast growing, popular area of the country lately. I have family, friends & have tried to be happy here but I am so relieved to be moving on this summer. Is it bad here?No. Does my town/area/region/climate promote my general happiness? no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or