U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,974 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm single, 28 yrs old, with celiac disease, and legally blind. I'm living with my parents in South Florida. I grow up in the area.I moved back in with them after graduating from UCF in Orlando. Plus, I was dealing with serious health issues that combined with my poor vision made it nearly impossible to be self sufficient. I've since greatly improved health wise but my eyes have gotten worse. A close friend asked me to move to their area in a suburb of Orlando. This was prompted when I decided that I could move out with my improved health and my disability benefits. However, I'm not sure I want to do so because I honestly don't like the area. I may not be able to afford it anyway. I've done the math and I would be able to afford an apartment that is within the $550 -$600 a month range. Honestly, I'd prefer to move out of Florida. I want to move out in part to gain a greater sense of independence. I'm hoping to get some suggestions about potential cities to move to.

First, I'll list some criteria I would like the city to meet(starting with the most important).

1. Good accessibility in terms of mass transit and walking( good paratransit/fixed route bus, voice prompted crosswalks, etc...)

2. gluten free food options, restaurants, health food stores so on.

3. low cost of living. As I said above something in $550-$600 a month.

4. city with generally open minded and accepting residents, friendly and helpful, too

5. Relatively low crime

6. university, so I may possibly continue schooling.

Next, I'm going to just list a few cities I've been looking into. I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether or not these cities would meet my criteria.
Ames, IA Des Moines, IA Cedar Rapids, Ia, Iowa City, Ia Sioux City, IA Minneapolis, MN St. Paul, MN Louisville, KY Morgantown, WV Logan, UT Corvallis, Or Portland, Or Seattle, WA Spokane, WA Grand Rapids, MI Austin, TX Boone, NC Chapel Hill, NC Durham, NC Raleigh, NC Pittsburgh, PA,

Would any of these work for me? Any other cities anyone may have to suggest would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really opposed to any state but the mid west and southeast probably will meet my budget. Plus, most of My family is spread out the southeast. Staring in Florida all up to the Mid-Atlantic region.

Keep in my mind, The first three criteria are a must while the rest are not absolutely necessary.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,223,064 times
Portland, Corvallis and Seattle are too expensive for you unless you rent a room in a shared house, and even some of those are more than your budget.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,762,574 times
Have you considered contacting groups specifically geared towards your needs?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 5,974 times
I have considered contacting some groups. I know most, if not all, states have a division or department focused on providing a variety of services for the blind. I'm just trying to narrow down where to look. I'm interested in states like Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Massachusetts. But I know most cities in those states are to expensive for me. I'm also curious about cities in Iowa, North Carolina, and Kentucky. I've seen cities in those states being described as fairly walkable and affordable.

I'm looking closer at Louisville, Ky because I know the American Printing House for the Blind is located there. I've read other forums saying the downtown Louisville area is easy to get around. I also read a list of livable communities for the blind, which list Charlotte, NC Kalamazoo, MI New York City, NY La Crosse, WI Berkeley, CA and Louisville, Ky as being the best. However, this was back in 2003 I think. So, not very recent and ceertainly things m;ay have changed in the time since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or