U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM

19 posts, read 17,311 times

Advertisements

the weather in October, November, south of TPA is nothing like the weather in south Georgia or south LA...not even close in December either - in fact the landscaping business cycle can be quite different from northern Hillsborough County (e.g. New Tampa/Avila) just across the bridge to Lee and Collier (Naples) ! and in many cases you can pick up 5 to 7 degrees in temp, and a big variance in nighttime temps....again, what do I know, family has owned property all around FL since the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,306,567 times
FL is prob the only state that actively landscapes during the coldest of winter months. I live in Miami and the grass is always being cut, flowers planted etc year round.
While it may still be considered humid in the winter here, it's definitely bearable less humid than in the Summer. And on occasion we get gorgeous non-humid days when a cold front passes thru, leaving us with clear blue skies, no humidity and temps in the mid 70s. Gorgeous.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:55 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,197,912 times
The US South as a whole is pretty much paradise compared to many other places around the world at the same latitude. You can thank the Gulf of Mexico for that, as it greatly indents the shoreline of the North American continent, allowing for subtropical conditions to exist far north and inland into the continent.

Not all of the US South, though, will be great for winter landscaping. The northern, inland areas of the region, like the Appalachian South, or the Mid South, do indeed have chilly winters with regular snowfall, and are not mild during winter by any means. Such conditions greatly limit the variety of plants that can survive, and thrive during winter, so you can cross out the cities in that part of the south, such as Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis, etc.

The Coastal US South, on the other hand, is a completely different animal, and is truly a subtropical paradise. Take the mild and sunny winters of Southern California and combine them with subtropical summers featuring great amounts of heat, humidity and rainfall conducive to the growth of all kinds of plants, and you'll have the climate of much of the coastal US South in a nutshell. Pick any city in the Coastal US South, be it Corpus Christi, Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Tampa, Miami Savannah, Charleston, etc, and I guarantee you that you will have a great time as far as landscaping during winter. All these cities have the paradisaical weather conditions I've described, the hot, humid, and rainy summers, and the mild, sunny winters where winter weather of any kind, be it snow, sleet, freezes, etc, are very rare, and practically non-existent. They are places where all kinds of plants, including tropicals, can survive and thrive. As such, you will see all sorts of palms, subtropical and tropical trees, flowers, etc, growing like weeds in these cities.

Now, as far as the absolute best cities for landscaping during winter in the south, those will be your cities in South Florida, such as Miami or Naples, by a longshot. Those cities are beyond subtropical and have actual tropical climates OUTSIDE of the tropical latitudes, which shows how mild the southern US is compared to other places in the world, all due to the warm subtropical ocean, and its many warm currents. If your city looks like this during winter, you know you can landscape easily during that season. After that, Central Florida(Orlando, Tampa, etc) and South Texas(Brownsville, Corpus Chrisit, South Padre Island, etc) both tie for the next spot. Those two regions have subtropical climates just short of being tropical, allowing for winter landscaping almost(but not quite) to the extent as seen in South Florida. Those two regions, though, join South Florida as the only places in the continental US where you can grow healthy coconut palms with ease.

To sum it up, the very best cities for landscaping in the South during winter will be those in South Florida, followed by those in Central Florida and South Texas. But I guarantee you won't be disappointed as far as winter landscaping in ANY part of the coastal US South.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 08-01-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The US South as a whole is pretty much paradise compared to many other places around the world at the same latitude. You can thank the Gulf of Mexico for that, as it greatly indents the shoreline of the North American continent, allowing for subtropical conditions to exist far north and inland into the continent.

Not all of the US South, though, will be great for winter landscaping. The northern, inland areas of the region, like the Appalachian South, or the Mid South, do indeed have chilly winters with regular snowfall, and are not mild during winter by any means. Such conditions greatly limit the variety of plants that can survive, and thrive during winter, so you can cross out the cities in that part of the south, such as Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis, etc.

The Coastal US South, on the other hand, is a completely different animal, and is truly a subtropical paradise. Take the mild and sunny winters of Southern California and combine them with subtropical summers featuring great amounts of heat, humidity and rainfall conducive to the growth of all kinds of plants, and you'll have the climate of much of the coastal US South in a nutshell. Pick any city in the Coastal US South, be it Corpus Christi, Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Tampa, Miami Savannah, Charleston, etc, and I guarantee you that you will have a great time as far as landscaping during winter. All these cities have the paradisaical weather conditions I've described, the hot, humid, and rainy summers, and the mild, sunny winters where winter weather of any kind, be it snow, sleet, freezes, etc, are very rare, and practically non-existent. They are places where all kinds of plants, including tropicals, can survive and thrive. As such, you will see all sorts of palms, subtropical and tropical trees, flowers, etc, growing like weeds in these cities.

Now, as far as the absolute best cities for landscaping during winter in the south, those will be your cities in South Florida, such as Miami or Naples, by a longshot. Those cities are beyond subtropical and have actual tropical climates OUTSIDE of the tropical latitudes, which shows how mild the southern US is compared to other places in the world, all due to the warm subtropical ocean, and its many warm currents. If your city looks like this during winter, you know you can landscape easily during that season. After that, Central Florida(Orlando, Tampa, etc) and South Texas(Brownsville, Corpus Chrisit, South Padre Island, etc) both tie for the next spot. Those two regions have subtropical climates just short of being tropical, allowing for winter landscaping almost(but not quite) to the extent as seen in South Florida. Those two regions, though, join South Florida as the only places in the continental US where you can grow healthy coconut palms with ease.

To sum it up, the very best cities for landscaping in the South during winter will be those in South Florida, followed by those in Central Florida and South Texas. But I guarantee you won't be disappointed as far as winter landscaping in ANY part of the coastal US South.

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm looking for. And thanks for all the other responses, everybody else. Houston and Tampa are at the top of my list. Along the gulf east of Houston, (LA, AL, and MS) are there any cities/large town that are doing well/ok financially? Where/Could I rent a small house just for myself around $900? Or a nice condo/town-home? What are the electric costs in the summer for AC?

I guess the dilemma is finding an economy doing well enough financially where I could get by doing self employed landscaping on at least a part time basis in the winter, yet at the same time had affordable housing options $750-$900. That is why I asked about senior retirees in this region.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,226,499 times
Away from Florida, maybe areas like Biloxi/Gulfport, Mobile, Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, Savannah, Albany (GA), New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Lake Charles would provide your best bets for wintertime landscaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or