U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM

308 posts, read 403,240 times

Advertisements

I grew up and still live in Hamilton Hill, Schenectady.

I like Boston, Providence, and Long Island a lot. Wish I grew up on the New England coast. Being near the water is my ideal setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:43 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,398,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
New Jersey. Really. My family vacationed there when I was a child, teen. I loved it there and never wanted to go home. We stayed at the beach, but that beach is backed by a really big forest--the Pine Barrens.
Now that's a beautiful beach setting to own a cottage in

Old 08-02-2014, 07:20 AM

9,869 posts, read 21,161,251 times
I lived in 3 distinct parts of Kentucky growing up. Cincinnati suburb of Florence (age 0 - 4), rural Southern KY around Russell Springs (4 - 11), and Lexington (11-19). I moved to Louisville at age 19 and have lived between here and Lexington the past 12 years.

Overall I like Louisville pretty well. Great park system for hiking, fishing, and canoeing, progressive cultural in many areas of the city, people that are mostly friendly and welcoming, and a low cost of living.

That said I have from time to time thought it would be neat to live somewhere where the whole region /state was more progressive and had less poverty, somewhere with a better job market, different scenery, etc. The places I've generally thought of the most would be Portland, Denver, Seattle, Austin, or DC

Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,775 times
Fairfax Station, VA.... because I would probably have lived a life of privilege and and be surfing on a trust-fund right now.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 AM

3,767 posts, read 2,581,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Cool thread idea, but hard question to answer.

I grew up in the Inland Empire of CA, and for many reasons I was glad I did. Summered near Seattle, and I'm very happy I did that too.

I wish I grew up somewhere with four seasons, or at least somewhere with regular snow. I wish I grew up with nicer people in a nicer neighborhood in a nicer area. I wish I grew up somewhere greener with more trees, in a more semi-rural environment.

It's hard to put a name to a place, but America's trendy (or even well-known) neighborhoods do not appeal to me in the least.

Off the top of my head, places like NE Washington/North Idaho (Spokane/northward, heck I would have been happy growing up in most of the non-desert Pacific NW), or somewhere like Northern New England/far upstate NY.

Another part of me wishes I'd grown up in and still lived in one of those neighborhoods where few ever leave, and everybody has the same accent, friends, and connections they've had their whole lives. The neighborhood I lived in while growing up is kind of like that, it just doesn't fit with me geographically or mostly otherwise.

So my answer is nothing like yours OP.

I agree with this.

I grew up in one of the "hottest" metro areas in the country right now; Raleigh-Durham, NC. This area has been growing by leaps and bounds my whole life and it has a very transient feel. My parents are from Upstate NY which has a much more "homey" feel. Most people have lived there for their whole lives and their families have been around for generations. Kids grow up on the same street with the same people. In Raleigh, with so much new construction always going one, people tend to move into newer fancier houses often; even for people who grow up here it is rare to grow up in the same house/neighborhood for your whole life.

There's just more "soul" in areas that have been settled longer. Places like the Northeast and Midwest and even small towns in the fast-growing south and west. I wish I had grown up in an area that just had a stronger sense of community than this "sunbelt boomtown".

Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,518,387 times
I spent my childhood in Oregon and Texas, and my teenage years in Southern California. if I had it my way, I would've spent more time in Oregon, and I prefer to think of myself as being from Oregon even if I technically "grew up" in California.
Also, I've always wondered what it would be like to grow up in New York or London.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,211,208 times
I grew up in Phoenix mostly and I hate it. Everything is the same color here, brown/khaki. Most of the homes are cheaply built, ugly brown cookie cutter boxes. The winters are great but IMO the brutal summers cancel out any pleasure taken in a sunny 55 degree January day and besides, the cold weather doesn't seem to bother me [I do admit though that there is a huge difference between a 5 degree high humidity January day in Minneapolis and sunny 25 degree low humidity January day in Denver]. It's also completely devoid of culture which I did not realize until I moved to Kansas City and then to Denver.

I wish I had grown up in the Bay area. I love it there, despite the extreme cost of living. If I had grown up there I would already be established and could have made it. I might have ended up moving to Concord, Fairfield or maybe even as far away as Chico just for a lower cost of living but at least I'd still be in the general area. For the past 10 years I've wanted to go racing at Thunderhill and Infineon with the AFM, one of the most competitive clubs in the country. I love the redwoods and the natural beauty of the southern Cascades and living in the Bay area would put me within a few hours drive of all of that.

I'm in my early 30's and will probably end up back in Denver or maybe in Prescott, which are both acceptable. But hey sometimes we don't get what we want.

Last edited by HTY483; 08-03-2014 at 01:56 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 06:38 AM

11,888 posts, read 10,402,608 times
I grew up in Philly (East Mount Airy) and wouldn't trade it for anyplace else. I did have some California dreaming when I was a kid but not so much anymore. I'm in New Orleans now and absolutely love it-still wouldn't wish to grow up there but I could see myself living here.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,237,770 times
WHERE I GREW UP: Grew up in rural Kentucky. I didn't even like it much there growing up (okay, I hated it) and while my strong dislike for it has softened over time, I still don't particularly like the place. I doubt I'll ever move back barring an extreme family situation.

However, without growing up in rural Kentucky, I don't think I would have had parents and a grandmother who were what they were. They all grew up there, too. The environment, landscape, culture, and familiar structures of where one grows up make them who they go on to become, whether consciously or subconsciously, for the rest of their lives. This Kentucky "humbleness"--it is considered a poor state by most of the rest of the country--means that I have great parents and had a wonderful grandmother, people who have believed in working very hard but having zero flashy element. My parents have done "fairly well," although are certainly not rich, yet our family lived like a family of factory workers who could be laid off at anytime, a result and by-product of the very working-class environments they grew up in. So I certainly cherish the people I was very closest to growing up there.

WHERE I WISH I WOULD HAVE GROWN UP: I wish I would have grown up in Northern California--north of the big cities, so someplace like Redding, Chico, Mendocino, Sonoma, or Humboldt. But I would've been fine in the Bay Area, the California Central Coast, parts of Oregon, Northern Arizona, or, despite the heat, Texas within an hour of any of the large cities. Even other less hillbilly parts of the South, like the areas around Charlotte, the Research Triangle, Savannah, Charleston, Greenville/Spartanburg, or Nashville I think I would have been fine with.

An aside--WHERE I AM TODAY: I generally like living in Southern California today, but this is better for the phase of life I'm in. I would've probably not liked growing up here; there are a lot of "bros and the "princesses" that love them (and they really think they're princesses!) that come out of even working-class area high schools down here (like Inland Empire), no less the upper middle-class area ones (like coastal Orange County). I pretty much avoid the whole bro/princess crowd like the plague. I think SoCal is a better place to be single, but when/if it comes time to raise a family, I might be more select in where I go, such as maybe to the aforementioned areas in the last paragraph. Maybe it has something to with my non-flashy upbringing; I just don't think it's necessary for little 16-year-old Katherine in Newport Coast, CA to have a 2014 Audi A4...

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-03-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,059,685 times
I grew up in Iowa and would've rather been growing up in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.