U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It was only to be expected that there would be gay equivalents of uncle tom out there.
Yes, I'm the gay Uncle Tom!

Eventually (sooner rather than later) the Supreme Court will make it the law of the land and everybody will have to find something else to obsess over and talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
Southern statewide politicians who are personally supportive of marriage equality and even conservative politicians who are ambivalent to it are going to sit back and wait for the courts to take the lead on the issue. NC's AG is a perfect example of this tactic. He probably personally supports marriage equality but now has a court ruling to hang his hat on. This will be true for almost all statewide Southern politicians.
Some US Congressional reps and local politicians of certain cities can politically afford to be publicly supportive due to either their immediate community or their highly gerrymandered districts that make their congressional seats very safe by shoving Democratic voters together into fewer districts.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:41 AM

3,266 posts, read 3,248,935 times
One of my neighboring states is run by & populated largely by the political equivalent of troglodytes. If a federal judge or the SCOTUS eventually rules for gay marriage in that state to be legal, I wonder if politicians there will threaten succession & fire the first shot...again.
If so, let them go & good riddance to them!
I'm already completely boycotting that state for various & sundry reasons.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,494,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, I'm the gay Uncle Tom!

Eventually (sooner rather than later) the Supreme Court will make it the law of the land and everybody will have to find something else to obsess over and talk about.

As a fellow gay Uncle Tom I concur

God forbid you don't want the focal point of your existence to revolve around your sexuality.
Bad gay man!! Support the rank and file and don't dare think for yourself!!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 AM

23,092 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

God forbid you don't want the focal point of your existence to revolve around your sexuality.
Bingo. And the SCOTUS will eventually render all of this speculation moot.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

Yes, we are BAD gays ... VERY bad gays ... LOL!

I guess it's shocking to some that the gay "community" (ahem) isn't united on this issue.

What would they say if they knew some gay people actually vote republican and go to church on Sunday?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
It will happen very soon. The problem isn't southerners... it is more an old vs. young thing. (And even that isn't consistent) Like all throughout history, as communication technology advances, bigotry dies out.

Being anti-gay and using the government to force your morality on other people is a dying system, it is in its death-throws right now.

'The Daily Show' Sent A 'Gay' Couple To Alabama And Mississippi, And The Results Might Surprise You

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 AM

3,266 posts, read 3,248,935 times
About the only positive thing I can generally say about Georgia gop politicians on the issue of gay marriage is that they would not go so far as to threaten succession or armed rebellion over the issue.
That being said, the gop will have to go a long way toward reforming itself in Georgia to ever regain my trust & vote!
I've seldom been so personally insulted as I was while sitting in my living room and having to put up with the tone of the tv political ads run by gop gubernatorial primary opponents Karen Handel & Nathan Deal when they opposed each other in the 2010 Georgia Primary. If any of you here from Georgia have forgotten the tone & content of those ads, they are available on the internet. I found some of them again just last month which was a great reminder for me as to one of the reasons that I am still angry at the Georgia gop.
I'm not so forgiving & count myself as an ex-gop'er.
In the meantime, while political voices across the country seem to have moderated or gone silent to a surprising degree on the marriage front, the state of the Georgia gop appears not to have moved forward & improved one iota since that 2010 primary!
As a result, I'm a prime example of the reality that just because you were raised to think in one particular way politically, you don't have to be a lifer or a prisoner to that same ideology or party & that you can eventually move on and think for yourself & make your own decisions.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
One of my neighboring states is run by & populated largely by the political equivalent of troglodytes. If a federal judge or the SCOTUS eventually rules for gay marriage in that state to be legal, I wonder if politicians there will threaten succession & fire the first shot...again.
If so, let them go & good riddance to them!
I'm already completely boycotting that state for various & sundry reasons.
The state of Georgia is no more enlightened on this issue than South Carolina (or on most issues, really). Drop the act.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
No state is going to secede or start a war over being forced to accept gay marriage. The only reason they don't already are the old, decrepit members of the "old boys club" in southern politics.

Young Republicans support same-sex marriage

New survey shows most Southerners support same-sex marriage

Can we drop the hyperbole? For people who pretend to hate stereotypes and promote an open mind, I see a lot of people spewing hateful stereotypes about people in the south, much of which is untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.